Everyone this time of year could use another simple recipe for yummy, crowd-pleasing “party foods” If you have been spending time looking for just the right thing to serve to family and friends, may I suggest my Onion Cheese Ball Recipe. I came up with this super easy recipe when I could not really find what I was looking for in a cheese ball (no nuts please! And maybe a little bacon?) and it has become a favorite appetizer/snack among family and friends.
Holly’s Onion Cheese Ball Recipe
• 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese log – you can use regular or light
• 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese
• 3 tablespoons dried onions
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• ¼ of a cup of sour cream – regular or light.
• 2 teaspoons of hot sauce or to taste (I often add lots more!)
• pepper to taste
• 3 tablespoons purple onion finely chopped (really adds color) **optional
• 4 strips of crisp bacon finely chopped **optional
Note: For the shredded cheese I usually reach for a Mexican shredded mix because it easier and faster. I have also used a combination of whatever I have on hand – Sharp, Cheddar, Colby or whatever you like.
1. Start with cream cheese that is at a room temperature. It will be much easier to work with it.
2. Add shredded cheese to the cream cheese in half cup increments. I use a big fork to help mix it all together in between half cups.
3. Fold in remaining ingredients one at a time.
4. Form cheese mixture into a ball before serving or just put in a bowl or crock and serve as a dip.
A final secret: This tastes best when you make this one day before serving.
This goes great with all sorts of veggies; carrots, cucumbers, peppers, celery etc. And can easily be spread on any type of cracker. You could also it into a sourdough bread bowl and consume the whole thing! It can be quite addictive, so I frequently double this recipe.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Holly is a Midwestern gal living in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. She loves gardening, animals and is a skin care junkie. Holly is always on the quest to try something new or old and live the best life possible.