A crafty round up ~ Plus big savings at Urban Decay
Happy weekend everyone! Can you believe we’re nearing September already? These late summer weekends are the time I have DIY craftiness on my mind. I don’t have any back to school supplies to plan and purchase, yet I feel like I should be doing something useful. Lately, I’ve been bookmarking a few genius DIY’s and How To tips from some of my favorite sites in hopes of taking a Sunday to get my craft on.
As a book nerd, the project at the top of my list is also the Photo of the Week, a how to on turning an old hardcover book into a sewing supplies storage box. Since I spied this tutorial by artist Lisa Occhipinti over at How About Orange, I’ve been dreaming of the books I could repurpose and their possible uses. How awesome would a vintage dictionary or encyclopedia be for a desk supplies box? Hop on over and download the instructions for making your own vintage book storage box.
A few more clever DIY’s and How To’s on my ever growing To Do list:
• If you have a bunch of old hardcovered books, you can also craft your own travel organizer for your techy gear. Kate Pruitt over at the always inspiring Design Sponge shares the step by step in details: DIY Project: Vintage Book Travel-Tech Organizer
• Next up, an adorable DIY from from fashionable blogger a pair & a spare on turning a scarf into a kimono/poncho inspired top (image left). Take a beloved but little worn scarf and make a sweet breezy top to wear during these last few weeks of summer: DIY Tribal Print Kimono
• It’s the best time of year for summer fruits like peaches…and apple season is just around the corner, which means it is time for pie! Pick up this tip on pie baking perfection over at the kitchen - and make sure to read the comments for more sage advice: Perfect Pie Crust: An Easy Way to Avoid Overbrowning
• If you have some household cleaning chores on your list this weekend and are looking to go green, save some money or you’re just low on supplies, shelterrific has the details on making your own cleaning supplies with a few basic items: Make your own laundry and dishwashing detergent
• Finally, here’s a how to save big at one of wht’s favorite brands, Urban Decay. Check out their constantly updated special sale page to find big discounts on select merchandise. Right now you can snap up the sublime Vegan Palette, normally $34, for just $19! This palette includes six stunning eye shadows, a 24/7 pencil in Zero (blackest black) and a bonus sample of Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin. And you can click here to read the wht review of this fantastic palette.
Readers – what are your weekend plans? Oh – and which books would you use for the storage box DIY and where/how will you use it? Share your ideas in the comments!
Tyna, co-founder and co-editor of wht, worries about becoming a crazy cat lady, reads at least a book a week, checks in at a Flyers fan forum every morning and is forever (some say obsessively) organizing her closets and drawers.