Simple recipes for a Brown Sugar & Lavender Body Scrub and Strawberry & Tangerine Lip Scrub
For beauty lovers on a budget, one of the hardest things to give up is high-end skin care and treatments. Skipping a day at the spa and indulging in some at-home treatments can be one option for trimming that budget…until the reality of the price tag on the at-home spa products kicks in.
Luckily, one doesn’t need to shell out the big bucks on brand name sugar scrubs to treat dry, flaky, stressed skin. Beautyholics with a bit of DIY spirit can whip up lush and sugary skin saviors with just a few basics found in most kitchen cabinets. By skipping those $20, $30, even $50 per jar high-end scrubs, and using ingredients already in the kitchen, the savings really add up.
Another perk when going DIY is the ability to completely customize the sugar scrub to suit the users wants, needs and tastes. For instance, the eco-chic will want to use only all natural and organic ingredients to get their beauty fix, while the scent snob may insist on a few drops of particular essential oil to create the perfect potion.
For the uninitiated in the world of home made beauty, here are two basic sugar scrub recipes – one for the body, the other for lips – to begin the journey to DIY Diva.
Brown Sugar and Lavender Body Scrub
• 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
• 1/4 cup washed raw sugar
• 1/4 cup dark or golden brown sugar
• 1/4 cup coconut oil
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 tablespoon lavender
1. Add the three sugars to a small bowl and mix together thoroughly.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the two oils together. Add the oil mixture to the sugars. Mix thoroughly. Add more olive oil for a runnier consistency, or more sugars for extra exfoliating power.
Tip: Coconut oil can solidify in cool temperatures (but melts quickly at 76 degrees F or above – perfect for steamy showers). To liquify the coconut oil place a small glass container of water in a bowl of warm water and let it sit a few minutes.
3. Gently mix in the lavender until it is spread through out the scrub.
4) Store in an air tight, glass container. Sprinkle a bit of lavender on top for an extra burst of scent when opening the jar for an at-home, spa-like, body sugar scrub.
To Use: Apply in shower (but not under running water) to warm, moist skin. Carefully rub mixture into skin in circular motions. Rinse skin (and bathtub floor) thoroughly. Pat dry.
Bonus: This basic recipe can be added to at will. Dry and irritated skin will respond to some added aloe vera, chamomile or honey, while splotchy, oily skin benefits from a few drops of tea tea oil.
Next up, a simple and delicious lip scrub for that winter casualty – dry, flaky, chapped lips. While this recipe uses specialty flavored sugars, kitchen staples like white and brown sugar can easily be substituted. Shop specialty spice stores for more exotic sugars like those featured in the DIY.
Strawberry and Tangerine Sugar Lip Scrub
• 1 teaspoon strawberry sugar
• 1 teaspoon tangerine sugar
• 1 teaspoon coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 drop vanilla extract
1. Add the strawberry and tangerine (or brown and white) sugars to a small bowl and mix together thoroughly.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the two oils together. Add the oil mixture to the sugars.
3. Add a drop of vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
4. Store in an air tight, glass container.
To Use: Apply the sugar scrub to lips and rub to exfoliate flakes. Rinse with warm water. Dip a pinky in the jar for a dab of oil and apply to lips for a final moisturizing boost.
Are any readers DIY Divas? Share some at-home beauty secrets and treatments in the comments!