Celebrate the 4th all summer long with this stand out cocktail
With summer upon us, we are being inundated with the usual summer cocktails. Big pitchers of sangria, lemonade with vodka, mojitos, sweet tea with lemon…they’re all great, but they are everywhere.
When summer rolls around, what happens to whiskey and bourbon? How come my favorite booze is left out of all the summer fun? A dark alcohol can be light and fruity too – just give it a chance!
This 4th of July, serve your guests this unique cocktail – let’s call it the Red, White, Black & Blue for the day – to stand out out amongst the typical summery drinks.
(Makes 2 Cocktails)
• 3 Ounces of Whiskey or Bourbon (I used Maker’s Mark)
• 10 to 12 Fresh Blueberries
• 8 to 10 Fresh Blackberries
• A Handful of Ice Cubes for Each Glass
• 12 Ounces Ginger Beer
• Mint and/or Lime Wedge for Garnish
1. Add the whiskey, blueberries, and blackberries to a blender. Puree for a minute or two. I like the look and crunch of all the seeds in the cocktail but, if you don’t like all the seeds in your cocktails, by all means, strain the alcohol before pouring it into the glasses.
2. Place a handful of ice into each glass.
3. Pour half of the whiskey fruit blend into each glass, then pour about 6 ounces of the ginger beer into each glass. Garnish with a mint leaf or a lime wedge and then serve.
4. Sip (or chug) the goodness.
See, I told you whiskey could be just as summery as a pitcher of sangria!
Readers – what are your favorite summer cocktails?
Stefanie of Sarcastic Cooking has done everything in food from wearing a hair net and working a fryer to inspecting classy restaurants. For now, she’s just so happy cooking in her kitchen alongside her pug Weezer, her husband, and most definitely accompanied by a glass of wine.