As a child of the 80’s, I am super excited to see the fashion looks on The Carrie Diaries, the new CW drama-dy that is a prequel to Sex and the City. Costume Designer Eric Daman (who was also the man behind the looks on the very fashionable Gossip Girl) has given a teenage Carrie Bradshaw such fun outfits – dressing her with pieces that you can buy and wear today.
Did you know that Eric gathered inspiration for the show by watching lots of John Hughes movies? Makes perfect sense. And since fashion trends seem to always recycle themselves, I can totally see myself wearing most of Carrie’s outfits. I found 8 pieces inspired by looks from The Carrie Diaries – and they come with wallet-friendly price tags!
1. Bow Tie Blouse – You can find these vintage or brand new in tons of fun colors and patterns. Tuck it into a black pencil skirt – or a leather/pleather one for a more modern feel – and you’ve got a cute office outfit. (Tinley Road/Piperlime $59)
2. Lower Case Initial Necklace – On the show, Carrie wears a signature gold “c” pendant. A lower case letter is such a fun spin on the monogram trend. (Whimsees $59)
3. Knit Beret – A slouchy knit beret is more for fashion than function, but it looks good and hides a bad hair day! (Target $9.99)
4. Classic Trench – This is a timeless piece that will never go out of style and looks good on everyone. (L.L. Bean $129)
5. Colored Denim Jacket – Colored denim is so hot right now, I’m not surprised at all that she rocked this green number “in the 80’s”. (Old Navy $24.97)
6. Sequin Party Dress – I love how Carrie pairs a party dress with a casual bright jacket. It’s not over the top but still very fun. (Rare/ASOS $149.09)
7. Multicolored Scarf – This gives personality to any basic jacket or top. It’s so easy to wear too – just tie it on and go! (Michael Stars/Piperlime $48)
8. Black Cap Toe Heels – The cap toe detail has made a huge comeback in the last year and now I see it on everything! I like the simple yet stylish look of a black patent cap toe on a black leather shoe. (GoMax/Lulu’s $46)
Readers – What were your favorite looks from the 80’s?
Amanda is a beauty & fashion lover who hopes to own a Shiba Inu one day. She spends most of her time frolicking in NYC, chowing down, perusing blogs and updating her own; mandabear. She’s also getting seriously involved with her iPhone.