Why pay for the latest ‘it’ fashion statement? Make your own!
Everywhere I look, fashion magazines and bloggers are all over the Collar Necklace trend. I love the look, but as a budget shopper, I am having a hard time handing over $20 for something so simple. So this month, I decided to create my own – and share with all you lovely readers how to make one for yourself. It’s so easy!
• Old dress shirt
• Thread ripper
• Thread and needle or sewing machine
• Sew on snaps (like these available at Vogue Fabrics)
Optional: Additional accessories like sequins, buttons, gems etc.
1. Using the thread ripper, carefully rip off the collar of the dress shirt.
2. Once the collar is ripped off, the one edge will be rough. Using a sewing machine (or by hand) fold the rough edge and sew it down. (When you are done sewing, it should look nice and clean as shown in the image above.)
3. Sew on the snaps as shown above. Place one half on the inside of the collar, and one on the outside.
4. Last but not least, decorate and accessorize your new collar anyway you want. As you can see below, I went with sequins.
Tip: When adding accessories to your collar, make sure to use a glue that will dry clear.
To add a bit of “you” to the project, try using gems, buttons or beads in your favorite colors and/or styles.
Readers – Are you rocking the collar necklace look this season?
Jenelle is a DIY fashion blogger from Canada who’s believes you can be fashionable while staying on a budget. Traveling the world, meeting Justin Timberlake and attending Fashion Week are just a few things on her bucket list. Check out her blog, Nelle Creations for more DIY fun!