I love to cook. Scratch that, I loved to cook. I kind of lost my passion for it in the last few years, until I got my first Le Creuset Dutch oven.
(Speaking of which, have you seen the limited edition Le Creuset Beauty and the Beast Soup Pot? We’re dying…. )
Thankfully, I’m starting to enjoy cooking again because of it. Can you say “game changer”? For years I wondered why any meat I cooked didn’t turn out right, i.e. burned instead of browned and generally less than stellar. I swear to all of you–I’ve cooked chicken, pork tenderloin and a pot roast in this thing and every time it turns out perfect.
So I ditched my disappointingly awful Calphalon pots and pans (the nonstick coating chipped as soon as we took it out of the box and we hand-washed them and only used silicone utensils) and replaced everything with Le Creuset enameled cast iron, with a little help from TJ Maxx and the Le Creuset Outlet. I really didn’t appreciate what a difference quality cookware made in food preparation until now. I’ve been cooking so much more and enjoying what I made–I’ve even created a few new recipes, which I haven’t done in forever. Which brings us to this week’s 3 Things…
1. What kind of pots/pans do you use? Nonstick, uncoated, enameled, other? I currently have enameled cast iron. Food doesn’t stick as long as you use a little oil and it heats evenly and tends to brown things instead of instantly burning things like my last pots and pans did. I want to take them behind a middle school and get them pregnant, that’s how much I love them.
2. What is your culinary game changer? Mine is pretty much any of the enameled cast iron I now have from Le Creuset. I can now cook a perfect steak. I’m almost 40 and have never been able to cook a steak properly until now. That’s sad.
3. What do you think is a must-have for a kitchen? I know they’re hideously expensive, but a Kitchen Aid Mixer. You can use them for so many different things, especially if you have some of the attachments. They are a mixer, a dough kneader, a food processor, a pasta maker, an ice cream maker and even a sausage stuffer with the right attachments. They are powerful and compact workhorses!
Your turn, weheartsters! Cut and paste the following into the comments and tell us these 3 Things:
1. What kind of pots/pans do you use? Nonstick, uncoated, enameled, other?
2. What is your culinary game changer?
3. What do you think is a must-have for a kitchen?
Krista resides in the middle of nowhere with her bff/hubby and a puppy that makes feral capuchins seem mellow. She has an irrational fear of ax murder, owns more than one machete for home defense/the zombie apocalypse, and goes to sleep serenaded by the sounds of the Chupagobbler, a mythical turkey beast that roams the woods around her house. Krista has been in the Bermuda Triangle twice and still hasn’t vanished. She is super proud of that.
skin tone: NW15
skin type: sensitive/oily
favorite beauty product: Blush, lots and lots of blush