photo: The Odyssey
I’ve been thinking about being an adult and what that means to me. In my mind, feeling like an adult always entailed things like buying my first car, buying my first house, having a job I used my degree towards, getting married, loss of a parent, etc. –there are just some things that really scream “ADULTHOOD”.
Each time I ticked off those milestones, I always mentally thought to myself, “I’m an adult now!”, like it was a merit badge or something. When my mother was alive, she said that she still mentally felt like she did when she was 17, but she was in the body of a woman in her 60’s.
That sounded horrifying then, but as I get older, I don’t FEEL that different. I mean, I’m maybe a little wiser and more parts of my body hurt when it rains than don’t, but sometimes I do not feel like an adult. At all. I mean, I got my nephew and his fiancée wine and foam nunchucks as a housewarming gift. Does that say “adult” to you?
Which brings us to this week’s 3 Things…
1. What was the first moment in your life where you felt like an adult? When I graduated high school. I was only 17, but I felt so grown up. Looking back, I was a baby.
2. What was the best moment of your adulthood? It’s a toss up between when I got married and when I bought my first house. I just FELT like a grown up then, even though I’d been an adult for years at that point.
3. If you could be either 8-years-old again or 10 years older than you are now, which would you chose? I’d choose to be 10 years older. Being a kid kind of sucked and if I was 8, I’d eventually have to go through trying to fund college by myself again and the cost of that has gone up exponentially since I was in school. One of the best days of my life was when I paid my last student loan payment. *insert Mel Gibson “FREEDOM!” cry here*
Your turn, weheartsters! Cut and paste the following into the comments and tell us these 3 Things:
1. What was the first moment in your life where you felt like an adult?
2. What was the best moment of your adulthood?
3. If you could be either 8-years-old again or 10 years older than you are now,
which would you chose?
Krista lives in the middle of nowhere with her amazing hubby and two codependent dogs that love to hate each other. She enjoys dance parties of one and last minute road trips, prays for Angela Lansbury’s immortality and can never own enough blush. She averages one “Silence of the Lambs” quote a week and feels no shame over this. Perhaps she should.
skin tone: NW15
skin type: sensitive/oily
favorite beauty product: Blush, lots and lots of blush