I want to believe that if you are on this site right now, you already watch 30 Rock. But alas, it’s one of those critically acclaimed shows that doesn’t have the highest ratings (like Arrested Development, and look what happened to that). So, I bring you 5 reasons you should be watching this half hour of brilliant comedy…
5. 9 Emmys, 6 SAG awards, 5 Golden Globes-you don’t get these kind of accolades for nothing. And considering it’s only in it’s 3rd season, they must be doing something right.
4. Dialogue like this: Jack, out to dinner with a young, skinny, model-type Fox News correspondent, says to the waiter “The lady will be having the tasting menu, but with some substitutions. Instead of, uh, any of it, she’ll have a cup of hot water with a chicken bone in it, and a bowl of salted ice cubes.”
3. Is there a more talented cast on television? I think not. Of course Tina Fey’s the funniest woman on the planet (don’t bother arguing, they just made a law-you’ll go straight to jail for disagreeing.) But take a look at some these clips of the equally genius cast: Alec Baldwin, Tracy Morgan, and Jane Krakowski.
2. They’ve had so many guest stars you’d think you were at the Vanity Fair Oscar party! Oprah, Jennifer Aniston, Isabella Rossellini, Edie Falco, Matthew Broderick, Carrie Fisher, Salma Hayek and Al Gore to name only a few. Which leads me to my number 1 reason you should be watching 30 Rock…
1. My drama and comedy TV worlds are colliding. And to quote Liz Lemon, “I want to go to there!” Jon Hamm (from the other best show on TV, Mad Men) starts his 3 week stint on 30 Rock this Thursday. Hamm plays Lemon’s neighbor, a Doctor who rides a motorcycle and self confesses that he “smells like frosting” because he loves to bake. Dreamy. (And here’s an interesting tid bit for you, Hamm originally tried out for the role of Jack. Go tell someone that. Quick, before they can tell you.)
So, why are you still here? Go set your Tivo for the best comedy on television!