When a brand has a “beauty in five minutes” philosophy, I say count me in! Enter TheBalm, founded by Marissa Shipman, a beauty lovin’ lady (just like all of us) who simply started learning how to make cosmetics in her own kitchen with the help of some books from Amazon. And that, my friends, is how TheBalm started. How’s that for inspiration?
TheBalm allows women of all ages to enjoy their own vision of youth and glam with simple products that give off some major sass. Their packaging is always cleverly done with retro vibes, sometimes adorned with a sexy pin-up girl that’s bound to give your makeup bag a wake up call. This isn’t overly kitschy, but fun, clever and embraces femininity in a way that makes you want to take a look in the mirror and say, “Damn, girl!”
The review team had the luxury of trying out one of their most popular products (and you will soon find out why), Hot Mama ($19) shadow/blush. Don’t question the dual function, just trust TheBalm is offering both a sexy shadow and possibly (and most importantly) the perfect blush. And if the bikini-clad lady in front of a palm tree lined sunset doesn’t get you in the mood for a summer glow, then I can’t help you any further!
This product is the most perfect shade of peachy pink to grace your cheekbones. And your mom’s cheeks, your sister’s, and bestie’s cheeks too! This is one of those products that I feel will look good on so many complexions. It’s laced with a beautiful gold shimmer that’s just enough to illuminate without overdoing it. The product feels silky, smooth and blendable upon application. It picks up on your blush brush very easily. If you use it as an eyeshadow, it will give your lids a touch of effortless sheen thanks to the gold shimmer. You can even use this product to finish off a lip look, with just a dab on the middle of your lower lip! Multitasking at its finest.
• No parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, or phthalates.
• An extremely versatile go-to shade that will work for many complexions.
• Perfect for when you’re in a pinch or just don’t feel like experimenting with different colors.
• Includes a mirror inside for easy touch ups!
• It’s not a huge con, but should be noted: the packaging is all cardboard (with a magnetic closure). Which is more prone to get a bit more banged up in your purse as opposed to typical plastic casing. Thankfully, there is an outer cardboard sleeve for protection!
• Using this as an eyeshadow might not work for everyone, as peachy pink tones can make one look sick very easily.
Readers and testers: Are we going to get our glow on with Hot Mama! or what?[ratings]
Amanda is a beauty & fashion lover who hopes to own a Shiba Inu one day. She spends most of her time frolicking in NYC, chowing down, perusing blogs, jabbing buttons on her Blackberry and updating her blog, mandabear.
Disclosure: This review includes products that were provided by the manufacturer/PR firm for our consideration. It also may contain an affiliate link, a link that gives us a small commission if you purchase the item. For more info, or any questions, please see our disclosure policy.