Hello again wht readers. I have a great summer fashion DIY for you to try. I was inspired this month by the distressed shorts that I’ve seen all over. They’re great to throw on whenever you’re hanging out with friends or heading down to the beach!
- An old pair of jeans (mine already had some holes)
- Pretty fabric (You’ll only need a few small pieces)
- Utility knife
- Needle and Thread
- A small cutting mat
1. Fold the jeans in half, so both legs are on top of each other, and cut legs off. Make the shorts a little longer than you want them to be You can always take more off but you can’t add it back on!
2. Place your cutting mat into the leg of the shorts. Using your utility knife, sandpaper and scissors, begin the distressing process. Tip: Use the left over denim from the legs to experiment with different ways of using the knife or sandpaper to get different distressed effects, such as pressing harder or softer or cutting vertical or horizontally.
3. Distress the denim until you’re satisfied with the result (don’t forget the back!) Then try them on to see how you like what you’ve done. You can do as much or as little as you like.
4. Cut two small pieces of fabric so they’re a little larger than the holes.
5. Place the fabric underneath the holes and pin into place.
6. Sew around the holes to keep the fabric in place. The best part about this is the worse you sew the better it looks! It shouldn’t be super neat. Tip: Try using different colored thread or thicker embroidery floss.
7. Enjoy your distressed shorts all summer!
Easy, right? Who’s making a pair of distressed shorts?
Mackenzie is currently a textiles student at Rhode Island School of Design dreaming of one day owning a farm and possibly a small boutique. She loves DIYs, sewing, playing her guitar, drinking lots of tea and taking silly pictures of herself on PhotoBooth.