Image Credit: Larry Busacca/Richard Chai – Love – Backstage – Spring 2012 Mercedes-Benz/Getty Images
It’s New York Fashion Week! Living in Los Angeles (about as far from New York City as possible here in America), for years it was kind of hard to share in the excitement of the fashion industry’s biggest event. By the time you saw the images and read the gossip in the monthly mags, the event was already passé.
These days, thanks to the wonder of the internet, we can see the clothes along with the celebs in in the front row as they are strutted down the aisle and watch those amazing makeup artists at work before the big show. For instance, our Image of the Week comes from backstage at Richard Chai’s Spring Fashion Show for his Love collection, which wowed us with their innovative makeup.
Chai and his team flipped the normal makeup color application rules and sent models down the runway with coraly/orange eye shadow and smurf blue lips! As makeup artist, Emi Kaneko, informed the Village Voice “It’s Harajuku meets Venice Beach, like a Japanese surfer girl.”
I know the artists were using MAC cosmetics, but haven’t heard the definitive word on the actual colors applied. My best guess for those blue lips? Based on the bright blue pencil in the hand of the make up artist in bottom left corner of the image, I’m going with MAC’s Chromagraphic Pencil (only available at Pro stores) in Hi-Def Cyan. Any other guesses MAC fanatics?
A few more links to keep you up to date on all the NYFW news:
• There are shows scheduled all day long, every day this week through Thursday. Get all the details and clear your schedule for your favorites: NYFW: Spring 2012 schedule
• Thanks to Maybelline and YouTube we can view every show as it happens LIVE from the comfort of your computer (wearing whatever the heck you want!) NYFW – Live from the Runway
• In between shows, head over the Marie Clare and catch up some of the big runway moments of the past few years: Most memorable Fashion Runway moments
• For complete coverage of the shows, the celebs, the clothes, the gossip and more, check out Glam.com and their 24/7 updates: Fashion Week Insider
• Speaking of gossip, did you hear about the backstage drama at the Imitation of Christ Spring 2012 collection? Regardless of the mood backstage, the show was sure beautiful…
Readers – have you ever made the trip to NYFW? And are you excited for this year’s event?
Tyna, co-founder and co-editor of wht, worries about becoming a crazy cat lady, reads at least a book a week, checks in at a Flyers fan forum every morning and is forever (some say obsessively) organizing her closets and drawers.