The weather is finally getting warmer, so those tank tops, shorts, and sundresses I’ve been eyeing can finally find their way into my closet. Despite my excitement about this season’s trends, I’ve been trying to be better about my shopping budget (read: drastically limiting it), so I need to be strategic about my approach to spring and summer shopping trips.
You may not be able to score a bargain as big as Stef’s (check out the shoes above!) but, I’ve tapped some of the greatest fashionistas and competitive shoppers I know for their advice on finding great deals.
Top 5 tips for budget-friendly shopping this season:
1. Track down the savings: Sign up for your favorite shops’ email newsletters to be alerted to the latest sales. If you’re nervous it will tempt you to shop, send them to a secondary email address so you can go in only when you need something.
2. Join the flash sale sites: Love designer looks but hate the stress designer price points put on your budget? Flash sale sites are your best bet. I love visiting them for inspiration on the latest trends before I proceed to Tip # 3 – and have successfully picked up a few pieces from them when the price is really right. Broke Girls’ Guide updates their deal feed daily to sum up the latest sales without forcing you to browse.
3. Look for alternatives: Ever picked something up for full-price at one of your favorite shops, only to see the girl in the office next to you with the exact look from another store? I have too. Stores like Target, JC Penny, Old Navy, Kohls, and more do a great job offering on-trend pieces at very budget-friendly prices. The Budget Babe is my go-to for finding these swaps!
4. Don’t forget thrift stores: Buying second-hand, from a vintage shop, flea market or yard sale, is a great way to make the most of your budget. And since fashion is endlessly ‘borrowing’ from the past, it’s easy to add a retro piece to an outfit and make it look thoroughly modern.
5. Make a list – and stick to it: My friend Kim has seasonal shopping down to an art. At the beginning of every season, she creates a list of the items that catch her eye. Then, she waits – for a great sale or until she loses her desire for it. Say goodbye to impulse shopping!
Bonus Tip: Solve the shipping conundrum! Sometimes online shopping gets tricky when you’re not home to meet the delivery person when you’re package arrives. New services are popping up — like ShopRunner and Amazon’s locker — that have pickup locations where you can send your items. Check to see if they have lockers in your hometown.
As the temperatures continue to creep up, the outlook for my closet and my wallet making it out alive are looking better. Can’t wait to show off my new items!
Readers – how do you stay on-trend and on-budget?
Marissa is a public relations professional by day and jewelry designer and entrepreneur by night. She has an affinity for creativity and inspiring style and loves writing, reading, and being in the sun.
Photo: we heart this