How To Indulge Without the Bulge All Summer Long!
Summer has arrived in full force. The sun is shining and without fail, calendars are filling up. Weddings, backyard BBQs, baseball games, corporate happy hours and vacation are all exciting events and you don’t want to miss out on all the great food spreads these parties have to offer. And who really wants to nibble on lettuce leaves while the rest of the party guests nosh on cheeseburgers and ice cream?
If your calendar is busting at the seams with invites, and you don’t want your pants to be doing the same, we have 5 tips for wht readers to enjoy every last drop of summer without sacrificing the time you’ve spent at the gym.
1. Get your workout in: It’s a no brainer that maintaining your exercise routine throughout the summer is key to warding off weight gain. Even more, logging a few extra miles before your big event is a great way to reduce bloating and help you feel your best.
2. Plate it up: When you’re at an event, be sure to grab a plate for cocktail hour. It is all too easy to graze while hors d’oeuvres are being passed around, but opting to fill a single plate will let you enjoy the offerings and save room for the main course.
3. Guzzle the H2O: Water’s benefits are endless – it keeps your skin and hair glowing, cleanses your system and reduces belly bloat – but it is especially helpful under the hot summer sun. Plus, if your event includes drinking, balancing your alcohol intake with water will help keep you from drinking too many empty calories and keep you hydrated throughout the night and into the next morning.
4. Battling the bar: Many summer gatherings include alcohol in some capacity. We all know open bars are trouble for a number of reasons, but if you’re watching your waistline, too many beers can cause even more problems. Stick with clear liquors with low-calorie mixers, such as soda water, use fresh fruit as a garnish, or choose red wine or champagne – both of which a relatively low-calorie but still satisfying.
5. Eat up: It is tempting to drastically reduce calories early in the day when you know you have a big event in the evening; however, approaching the buffet with a rumbling stomach makes it all too easy to over-indulge. Make sure you stick to your normal eating patterns before you leave for your party so you’re not famished as soon as you arrive.
Summertime is all about getting together with family and friends and soaking up every last bit of sunshine. Follow these tips and you will be ready to focus on the fun and not just the food. Enjoy the season and keep looking fabulous!
Readers – Is your summer party schedule full? What are your summertime party survival tips?
photo: Theo Wright
Marissa is a public relations professional by day and jewelry designer and entrepreneur by night. She has an affinity for creativity and inspiring style and loves writing, reading, and being in the sun.