AKA – a last minute gift idea you can TOTALLY do!
Ready. Set. Bake! Each and every year I love baking cookies for my friends. Especially during the holidays. And if you need a last minute gift, it’s hard to beat something homemade and sweet.
If you have the time, I like to personalize things a bit and match each cookie with my friend’s personality, or with an ingredient I know they really love. This year one of my girl friends is getting my special Cinnamon Shortbread ookies.
This easy shortbread cookie recipe is perfect for cinnamon lovers – which is pretty much everyone this time of year. Even better for the gift strapped? This shortbread requires hardly any ingredients and it’s a snap to make. Oh, and did I mention it makes your house smell wonderful? It does that too.
Cinnamon Shortbread Recipe
(Makes approximately 20 bars)
• 3/4 cup ( 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
• 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• nutmeg and sugars to sprinkle on top
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
2. In a large bowl, beat the softened butter, confectioners sugar, granulated sugar and salt until smooth.
3. Stir in flour and cinnamon. Lightly knead the dough until blended.
4. Push the dough evenly into an 8 inch square baking dish lined with parchment paper.
5. Pierce the dough with a fork in a decorative pattern
6. Sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar and a grating of nutmeg just before baking.
7. Bake 45 to 50 minutes – until shortbread is lightly brown and a bit darker at the edges.
8. Cut into bars while still warm. Remove from pan and let cool on rack.
If you’re gifting these bars, now it’s all about packaging! I like to wrap bars and cookies up in cute little containers, sometimes adding ribbons or bows.There are so many sweet containers out there just made for gifting, it’s always fun to see what I can find. Most importantly, to me it’s just not the holidays without gifting someone I love with something I’ve made.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Readers – What is your favorite ‘gifting recipe’ this time of year? Cookies? Chocolates? Candies? Share in the comments!
photos: Vyrlee for we heart this
Born and raised in the valley, Vyrlee loves hanging out with her boxer, Penny Lane. Baking cookies is one of her favorite things to do, especially during the holidays. Lipgloss is her favorite beauty product and she often has at least eight lip products in her purse.
skin tone: (NW15/20)
skin type: normal to dry
favorite beauty product: lip gloss and face serums