Originally created as a holiday to remember the men and women who died serving in the armed forces, Memorial Day has also become a time for people to get together and celebrate life and to celebrate the start of summer vacation season.
This Memorial Day I’ll be remembering my father. He served in Vietnam and passed away last year. I have absolutely nothing planned–I might force my husband to help me find a new table and chairs for the deck. I despise the rusty metal set that’s there now and it’s become a legitimate threat of tetanus at this point in time. And talk him into grilling some sort of meats. I’m afraid of using the grill–I blame my fear of open flame.
I’ll probably also single-handedly kill a pitcher of sangria. Because how else is one supposed to celebrate a somber national holiday? Besides blowing stuff up in your backyard, which is how my hillbilly neighbors celebrate. Which brings us to this week’s 3 Things…
1. What are your plans? See above. Grilled meats and a pitcher of sangria.
2. If you’re going to a cookout, what dish do you bring? If I’m going to someone else’s cookout, I usually bring either Jello cake (yellow or white cake, bake, cool, poke holes in it with a fork, pour in prepared strawberry Jello mix, refrigerate for 3-4 hours, spread Cool Whip on top, cover w/ sliced strawberries and refrigerate until serving) or I’ll bring blue cheese potato salad. Seriously, y’all. Not all potato salads are created equal and the above recipe is to die for!
3. Do you have anyone you remember today? As mentioned above, my dad. He served 2 tours in Vietnam and loved every minute he served his country there, probably to an obsessive level. He was a weird dude and I miss him.
Your turn, weheartsters! Cut and paste the following into the comments and tell us these 3 Things:
1. What are your plans?
2. If you’re going to a cookout, what dish do you bring?
3. Do you have anyone you remember today?
Krista lives in the middle of nowhere with her amazing hubby and two codependent dogs that love to hate each other. She enjoys dance parties of one and last minute road trips, prays for Angela Lansbury’s immortality and can never own enough blush. She averages one “Silence of the Lambs” quote a week and feels no shame over this. Perhaps she should.
skin tone: NW15
skin type: sensitive/oily
favorite beauty product: Blush, lots and lots of blush