One of our easy DIY projects – Just in time for your 4th of July party
Wow your peeps with your very own handmade, rustic ribbon flag. Once you’ve gathered all of the necessary supplies, you can create this one-of-a-kind conversation piece in under an hour!
- 8” x 10” Denim jean rectangle (with a pocket preferably)
- 18” wooden dowel
- Variety of ribbon, trim and fabric strips (red, white, off-white/solid and patterned), in 30” & 21” lengths and a variety of widths
- 24” length of jute string
- Hot glue gun/hot glue
- White acrylic paint
- Star stencil or stamper
- Piece of laminate or thick paper
- Sticker paper (or a sheet of labels)
- Spouncer or paint brush
- X-acto knife
1. Place 13 white stars in a circle onto your jean square with acrylic paint, centered one inch from the top. (You will need the top inch to fold over and attach your wooden dowel.) Use a spouncer or a dry paintbrush for best results.
To do this, I created my own stencil by using a star punch and sticker paper. Once punched, I placed the stickers into my desired circular formation onto a laminated sheet. Then I cut each star out with an x-acto knife.
You can simplify this step by placing a small bowl, or a large mug, down and stamping your stars around the outer circle. If you don’t have a star stamp, you can even carve one out of a potato!
Let your paint dry for a few minutes.
2. Position your denim pocket rectangle 1” in from the left end of the wooden dowel. Fold top inch of denim over dowel and apply hot glue to the dowel, as well as the inside fold of your fabric.
3. Now that your denim rectangle is secured to the dowel, you will begin to glue the “stripes” that hang under it. Under the denim/blue portion, you will be attaching the 21” ribbon and fabric pieces. You should start with red, and end with red.
Your stripes should be approximately 1.25 inches wide. This could be made up of one piece of fabric/ribbon, or with several pieces that equal 1.25″.
Make a line with hot glue along the top edge of your ribbon/fabric. Line it up with the outside edge of the denim. Push denim down onto the glue.
Expert tip: When selecting your ribbons, it’s good to choose different widths, and a variety of textures. Burlap, satin, sheer, pom-pom trim, etc. all add whimsy to your flag. Layering ribbons also adds to the overall aesthetic of your piece.
4. Once you have completed attaching stripes under the denim, you will begin to glue your 30” length ribbon/fabric next to it. Fold the top inch over the wooden dowel and glue the underside. Be sure to secure ribbon to the rod, as well. Alternate red & white/cream stripes. Remember, you are shooting for 1.25″ per stripe. Red should be your last stripe, stopping one inch from end of the dowel.
5. Finish off by gluing your 24” jute string around the dowel and wrapping around several times next to the denim. Do the same with the other end of your jute on the opposite end.
Now your beautiful shabby chic flag is ready to hang! My flag hangs on my front door, instead of a wreath. This flag also looks great flowing in the wind. Happy 4th of July, we heartsters!
Rachel is a stay-at-home Mom that never seems to be home. She’s a military wife, mother to The Danger Boys and a self-proclaimed craftaholic that enjoys photography, knitting, baking and all things handmade.