Cross Stitch by House of Miranda on Etsy
Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about self-care. I know, “Self-care” sounds very #firstworldproblems, so I’m thinking of it as “Treat Yo Self.” Not in the expensive material goods sense, but in taking care of your mind, body and soul.
It seems like it’s increasingly common to run ourselves ragged, to our very breaking point, like it’s a badge of honor. But I really believe that health–mental, physical and spiritual–is more than just an absence of “sickness”. Wouldn’t it be awesome to see how strong and resilient we can be instead?
(Though, this will always be awesome…)
If you’re asking yourself, “Who has time/money for this? I’m busy, and that sounds expensive.” I have definitely thought the same thing. But I’ve been trying to look at my time and money as investments. Instead of spending money going out for lunch, should I allocate part of that money for a meditation app? Do the things that I own make my life easier and bring me joy, or do they get in the way of the life I want to lead? Does scrolling Instagram and Facebook to “keep up with my friends” actually bring me value, or would that time be better spent another way?
For me, it’s not about quitting anything entirely, just re-allocating my time and money so that I’m dedicating more to the things that ACTUALLY matter to me first, and then allocating the remainder to other things. Which brings us to this week’s 3 Things…
1. What makes you happy? DOGS. They’re so happy, they’re always in the moment. It’s like spending quality time with friends.
2. What ways do you “treat yo self” to self-care? Working out is a *must* for me. Even when I don’t feel like it, I always feel better afterwards. Lately I’ve also been trying to meditate, write in my journal, or do some other form of self-reflection.
3. The ultimate in self-care: do you meditate? (And if so, how?)
I just recently started trying meditation, and I have been using the Headspace app. They have a free 10 day meditation series that takes just 10 minutes a day.
Your turn, we heartsters! Cut and paste the following into the comments and tell us these 3 Things:
1. What makes you happy?
2. What ways do you “treat yo self” to self-care?
3. do you meditate? (And if so, how?)
Marilyn is a makeup maniac and slow but stubborn runner. She loves color coding her day planner, reading celebrity gossip and drinking good wine. Marilyn blogs about makeup and fitness over at her blog, Lipgloss and Spandex.
skin tone: NC25
Skin type: oily, acne-prone
Favorite beauty product: eyeshadow