This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Are you looking for the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes?
There are many reasons why you might need makeup for your peepers. Because the eyes are the windows to the soul.
Eyeliner can help make them pop. It enhances the eyes, defines your look, and makes them look bigger and stand out.
It’s all good until you realize you have sensitive eyes.
So what do you do?
You want to stick with a gentle eyeliner. Something that doesn’t contain harsh ingredients that could only irritate your eyes.
In this article, I’m sharing my top choices to help you pick the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes.
Why Choose Eyeliner for Sensitive Eyes?
Cosmetics and sensitivity rarely go hand in hand. Because it can be a real pain.
Case in point: having sensitive eyes.
Many people with sensitive eyes find that they can’t wear any kind of eyeliner because of several reasons. For one, it makes their eyes itch, water, and generally feel uncomfortable. And it can also trigger their allergies or some form of irritation.
If you’re one of those people, don’t despair; there are plenty of great eyeliners on the market that are specifically designed for sensitive eyes.
But let’s face it.
There are many types of eyeliners on the market. So it can be difficult to pick which one is best for you. You also need to consider the pros and cons of each eyeliner. So this adds to the challenge of choosing one.
The Best Eyeliner for Sensitive Eyes
Got sensitive eyes and you’re afraid your eyeliner might irritate them?
Check out these 10 eyeliner formulas. These are safe and gentle, which are perfect for your sensitive peepers.
1. Physicians Formula 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner
- LASH BOOSTING EYELINER & SERUM: This high-tech 2-in-1 eyeliner & eyelash booster serum delivers the high-pigment, precision definition of a liquid eyeliner while nourishing & conditioning lashes.
- ENHANCE & CONDITION: Create classic, bold looks with this jet black liquid eyeliner. Use the eyelash serum alone or under eye makeup day or night. Lash Boosting complex targets the base of lashes.
- ALL EYES ON YOU: From our Murumuru Butter Collection of eyeshadow palettes, to our Eye Booster mascara & eyeliners, to our brow gels & eye primers, we have everything you need to keep all eyes on you.
Want to enhance the look of your lashes?
You’ll love Physicians Formula 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner.
This Japanese formula also nourishes and conditions your lashes.
Physicians Formula 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner is perfect when you want to make your thin eyelashes stand out. Because it contains serum, it also boosts eyelash growth.
Would you believe that a month-long use can give you noticeable results?
Around 90 percent of women who tried this product achieved fuller lashes.
Wondering what to expect from this product?
Physicians Formula 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner is hypoallergenic. Because it doesn’t contain parabens, it’s perfect for sensitive eyes. And contact lens wearers too.
It’s waterproof, smudge-proof, and easy to apply. In addition, it’s affordable and safe for everyday use.
Best Drugstore Eyeliner For Sensitive Eyes
2. Maybelline Eyestudio Master Precise All Day Liquid Eyeliner Makeup
- NO-SMUDGE LIQUID EYELINER: Precise, sharp lines. Intense color. No smudge. Up to 12hr wear. Maybelline Master Precise All Day liquid eye liner pen stays put all day with whatever look you're working
- DEFINE YOUR EYE: No eye look is complete without Maybelline Eyeliner--amp up the drama with a black eyeliner pen, get playful with a green or blue eye liner, or take a softer approach with brown eyeliner. Remove waterproof eyeliner with a makeup remover
- MAYBELLINE IS THE EYE EXPERT: Whatever your signature eye look, whether natural or dramatic, Maybelline helps create looks that draw eyes. With a broad selection of pencil & liquid eyeliners, highly pigmented eyeshadows, iconic mascara, & eyebrow makeup
Want to get that “winged” look?
Just wing it. This may be the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes for that purpose.
Introducing Maybelline Eyestudio Master Precise All Day Liquid Eyeliner Makeup.
Perfect for creating maximum definition. Plus, it’s a super pigmented eyeliner that lasts all day long. And even with its mild formulation, it’s smudge-proof. So you can maintain your look without having to worry about smearing your makeup.
However, it may take three to four minutes for it to dry out.
But still, overall, it’s a great eyeliner that won’t irritate your sensitive eyes.
3. Shimarz Black Pencil Eyeliner
- NO IRRITATION: All thanks to the very high quality ALL NATURAL eyelash and skin nourishing ingredients.
- GREAT FOR SENSITIVE EYES: Does NOT contain CHEMICALS and is PARABEN FREE.
- NO TUGGING OR PULLING: Ultra smooth formula that GLIDES ON LIKE BUTTER.
Want chemical-free makeup for your peepers?
This is the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes.
It’s also vegan-friendly and gluten-free.
Check out Shimarz Black Pencil Eyeliner.
Instead of harsh ingredients, you get castor and seed oils. And as for its result, you get smooth and very dark pigment.
Watery or irritated peepers?
Not a problem. Shimarz Black Pencil Eyeliner’s features let you apply it without having to worry about your sensitive eyes.
Best Liquid Eyeliner For Sensitive Eyes
4. NYX PROFESSIONAL Epic Ink Liner, Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
- Waterproof Matte Liquid Eyeliner: Get the perfect long lasting cat eye look with NYX Professional Makeup Epic Ink eyeliner, with a matte black finish
- Precise Tip: Our ultra precise tip is flexible and Easy to Use; Every stroke is unbelievably fluid for a defined finish; Control the thickness of your lines by pressing down just a touch; Fine and natural, broad and bold, the look is always up to you
- All Eyes On Eye Makeup: Complete your look with our full range of NYX Professional Makeup eye makeup products from eyeshadow palettes to mascara, eyeliners, concealers, setting sprays, and eyebrow products
Want to create a cat-eye look with ease?
This one’s a crowd favorite. So I say it’s one of the best eyeliners for sensitive eyes, serving that purpose.
Introducing NYX PROFESSIONAL Epic Ink Liner, Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner.
Vegan-friendly and cruelty-free, so it’s cool.
In addition, it has a sharp tip that allows precision when creating that cat-eye look. And it’s affordable too. Can’t lose with this one.
Did I mention it’s also smudge-proof?
So you can go watch a tear-jerking flick or walk in the rain without worries. It won’t smear; your eyes will be looking on point all day or night long.
Best Eyeliner For Contact Wearers
5. Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner
- Smudge Resistant Pencil Eyeliner: With a self-sharpening tip and a smudge-resistant, waterproof formula, this mechanical eye pencil delivers control and definition from natural lines to your boldest looks
- Define Your Eye: No eye look is complete without Maybelline Eyeliner--amp up the drama with a black eyeliner pen, get playful with a green or blue eye liner, or take a softer approach with brown eyeliner; Remove waterproof eyeliner with a makeup remover
- Maybelline Is The Eye Expert: Whatever your signature eye look, natural or dramatic, Maybelline helps create looks that draw eyes; With a broad selection of pencil and liquid eyeliners, highly pigmented eyeshadows, iconic mascara, and eyebrow makeup
Here’s another one from a brand that’s a crowd favorite.
A smudge-proof eye makeup that’s ideal for sensitive eyelids.
Introducing Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner.
It’s ophthalmologist-tested and safe for use, even if you wear contact lenses.
Even though it’s super-thin discreet, Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner delivers a super-thick definition for your peepers.
And surprisingly, it’s easy to remove even if it’s water-proof. All you need is a mild cleanser on a cotton ball to wipe it off. And so worries as to irritation on skin after removing it.
Do you wear contact lenses?
It’s the best eyeliner for contact wearers. And it also offers five different shades: onyx, espresso, sapphire, pewter, and the popular cinnabar. More choices so you can look your best.
However, a notable downside to Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner is that it comes in a small package. Smaller than most options listed here. Nonetheless, this small-sized pack packs a punch.
6. NaturLash Mineral Mascara
- BEST NATURAL MASCARA ON THE MARKET: Silky Smooth Application | Lengthening Mascara for Longer Lashes | Grow Thicker, Longer Lashes with Continued Use | Stops Unnecessary Lash Fallout from Toxic Chemicals! 2 Colors: Black & Brown Mascara Available.
- HYPOALLERGENIC FOR SENSITIVE EYES: If MOST Mascara Irritates your Eyes Ours PROBABLY Won’t! Great for Contact Users & Eye Conditions like Blepharitis, Sensitive Eyes, Dry Eyes. PLEASE NOTE: Even though it's a clean mascara, you still MAY be sensitive to an ingredient!
- 100% NATURAL & NON TOXIC: All Natural | Made with Botanical Ingredients | Non GMO | Cruelty FREE | Vegan | Gluten FREE | Preservative FREE | Mercury FREE | Petroleum FREE | Lead FREE | Dye FREE | Water Way Safe (Green)
Looking for a non-irritating eyeliner?
Go natural with this silky-smooth eyeliner for sensitive skin.
Try NaturLash Mineral Mascara.
Wondering what to expect from this product?
This vegan-friendly pencil runs smooth, allowing you to create a defined wing easily. And with its lightweight blend, it gives a soothing effect on your peepers. No wonder it’s a trusted choice for many.
Because it’s non-toxic, you don’t have to worry about irritation. NaturLash Mineral Mascara is free of mercury, parabens, gluten, and petroleum.
If you want to go natural all the way, NaturLash Mineral Mascara is the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes.
7. L’Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Super Slim Long-Lasting Liquid Eyeliner
- Super Slim Liquid Eyeliner: The Super Slim longwear ultra-fine tip liquid eyeliner gives you total control for precise lines that last up to 12hour; Create a sleek sophisticated look with this 0.4millimeter eyeliner pen
- Felt-Tip Liquid Eyeliner Pen: With an ultra-fine felt tip, this longwear eye liner glides on smoothly with continuous and even flow; Skip-proof, drag-proof and smudge-proof, and stays for up to 12hour of wear
- Create you perfect eye makeup look with our collection of Voluminous mascaras, achieve sleek lines with smudge proof eyeliner, define your brows and discover eye shadow palettes with shades made for every eye color
Not interested in a pencil eyeliner?
Then perhaps what you want is a liquid one.
Here’s the best liquid eyeliner for sensitive eyes.
Check out L’Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Super Slim Long-Lasting Liquid Eyeliner.
Meticulous about smearing or feathering?
In pencil form, this liquid eyeliner lets you create smooth lines. It glides effortlessly, giving you a refined look that lasts all day and night.
Just got started using liquid eyeliners?
Not a problem. I love the simplicity of this product. This is why it’s an ideal choice for beginners.
It has an ultra-fine tip that allows precise lines. Incredibly, it dries fast and can last up to 12 hours.
On the downside, it tends to smudge oily eyelids. So it may not be your best choice if you expect rain, humidity, or sweating.
Best Waterproof Eyeliner For Sensitive Eyes
8. Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner
- Apply to lash line and blend into a smudge shadow, if desired, using Brush or your fingers
- Create a fade proof cat eye with the tip of pencil
- Add on to your favorite eye shadows or wear alone
Need eight different shades?
This pencil eyeliner has makeup goals written all over it.
Have you seen Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner?
Suitable for those who wear contact lenses. It won’t dry or irritate your eyes. And it’s also water-proof and smudge-proof, so you’re good even when it’s raining or humid.
Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner best eyeliner for sensitive eyes if want to achieve the quintessential smoky-eye look. It’s easy to draw out the perfect wing with its smooth pencil lining.
Richly pigmented, this product is perfect for cocktail parties and special events.
The downside: it’s a bit pricey and generally lasts for four to five hours only.
Best Gel Liner For Sensitive Eyes
9. Music Flower 2-in-1 Black and Brown Gel Eyeliner
- A SET OF TWO EYELINER - this amazing gel eyeliner kit come with 2 classic colors, black and brown, which is absolutely meet your need of daily eyeliner or eyebrow makeup
- The creamy gel with its light and supple texture help you easily clear the line depicting the smooth eyeliner and provide a durable waterproof, non-blooming effect
- Waterproof long-lasting and smudgeproof, this gel can stay on for a whole day and easy to remove with makeup remover
It’s not every day that I see a gel eyeliner. To be honest, I haven’t used one before until I encountered this one.
Check out Music Flower 2-in-1 Black and Brown Gel Eyeliner.
It comes in two colors: brown and black. This eye makeup glides smoothly, allowing easy application. And it won’t smudge once it dries. For added convenience, it also comes with an applicator.
For the gel-based variety, I say this is the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes.
While it doesn’t really guarantee that it’ll stay for 24 hours, it doesn’t smear. It won’t run down your face even if you sweat profusely. Or even when you get caught in the rain. But it’s quite easy to remove. A cotton ball and makeup remover will do the trick.
Just make sure you store it properly because it tends to dry out fast.
Best Pencil Liner For Sensitive Eyes
10. Better’n Ur Eyes Natural Eyeliner Pencil
- BEST SELLING NATURAL EYELINER ON AMAZON + FREE PENCIL SHARPENER! Made with Natural & Botanical Ingredients. Accentuate the shape and define your eyes for a natural, better looking you. Goes on soft & smooth, no tugging or pulling sensitive eye area.
- HYPOALLERGENIC & LONG LASTING: NO more tears! Non irritating and great for sensitive eyes! Made with Non-toxic ingredients to lessen the chance of irritation. Lasts all day. Stop Crying over your makeup!
- HEALING OILS & BOTANICALS: This Natural eyeliner is made with healing Jojoba & Castor Oil. Castor Oil helps grow your eyelashes. 99% Natural | Gluten Free | Vegetarian | Certified Cruelty Free | Lead Free | Petroleum Free | Paraben Free | Fragrance Free
Are you always on the go?
Then you can use this pocket-friendly eye makeup.
Check out Better’n Ur Eyes Natural Eyeliner Pencil.
It’s easy to use and offers the right amount of pigmentation, which nourishes the skin on your eyelids. That’s because it contains healing oils, including castor, which is great for sensitive eyes.
However, it isn’t smudge-proof because it’s oil-based. Also, the pigmentation generally lasts up to five hours only.
How to Deal with Allergic or Sensitivity Problems
Your body will react adversely to any irritant. Because it will try to repel it. So to do this, it generates antibodies to fight the invading substance.
Antibodies are special cells that have the task of responding against the offending allergen. These cells proliferate in high numbers in the stomach, lungs, nose, and eyes.
Noteworthy are the eyes. Because the skin around the eyes is delicate. This explains why your peepers tend to be highly sensitive.
So if you have a predisposition toward eczema or seasonal allergies, then an adverse reaction to eyeliners is likely.
Here’s what experts recommend.
Try out new makeup products first on the back of your hand. Then wait for an hour or two and see if you get an adverse reaction.
That way, when you do have an allergic reaction, it won’t be on your eyes.
If the waiting period has passed and you still get no adverse reaction, it’s safe to say that the product is OK to use.
I can’t stress the testing enough. Between an itchy hand and inflamed eyes, I’d choose an itchy hand.
What’s more, people with dry eyes are more prone to allergic reactions. That’s because they don’t produce enough tears to repel the allergens. As a result, the irritant stays on their eyes longer.
People with contact lenses also suffer more vulnerabilities than those that don’t wear them. So that’s another thing to think about when choosing or applying eyeliner.
5 Things to Consider When Choosing Eyeliner for Sensitive Eyes
Shopping for eyeliner but have sensitive eyes and eyelids?
Here are 5 key things to keep in mind. Because if you want to get the right one, you need to make sure it fits your needs.
1. What color do you want?
Ask yourself what color you prefer.
Perhaps a neutral one because that’s ideal for everyday wear. Or if you want something for special occasions, say, a wedding, then pick one that stands out.
Not sure what color to choose?
Here’s a rule of thumb. Go with an eyeliner that matches the natural color of your peepers.
2. How thick do you want it?
Different eyeliners deliver varying thicknesses.
For instance, liquid eyeliner is ideal to use when you want thin or sharp lines. On the other hand, a felt-tip eyeliner gives you thick lines. But if you want both, then there’s a pencil eyeliner that delivers both thin and thick, sharp and soft lines.
So before getting an eyeliner, consider which type to get that will deliver your desired results.
3. You might want to get one that’s water-resistant.
Do you want an eyeliner that won’t smudge or flake?
Then get one that’s water-resistant. You can only remove the eyeliner using a makeup remover.
A water-resistant eyeliner is your ideal option when you are frequently exposed to rain, wetness, or humidity. It is also a great choice if you wear contact lenses or if your eyes water often.
4. Does it have a return policy?
What happens if you realize it’s not the ideal eyeliner for you?
You return it, right?
Well, that’s the ideal scenario. Because sometimes you only realize it after the purchase that the product doesn’t work for you.
Now, some stores allow you to return the item. But there are others that won’t let you do that unless you comply with their guidelines.
So it pays to understand the return policy before making the purchase.
5. Do you have steady hands?
Even if you have the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes, it helps to have steady hands.
So how steady are your hands?
If you’re a newbie or you feel that your hands aren’t steady, pick a pencil eyeliner. It’s easier to apply compared to liquid eyeliner.
What is your favorite eyeliner for sensitive eyes?
You may also like these eyeliner reviews: