The Best Jean Shorts for Summer 2014
Seems like jean shorts are making a comeback in a big way this summer, popping up on celebs and in blogs and magazines. I’m seeing them in “real life” too, from concert-goers to ladies out on the town. I have always shied away from cut-offs, for reasons unknown. Something about the tight fit in the thighs, or perhaps their not-so-loving “j-horts” moniker kept me away.
Well I finally caved this year, adding a pair to my closet this weekend. I took one look and plenty of outfit ideas popped into my head: with a blousy black shirt and flat sandals for an outdoor bar; pulled over a bathing suit for the beach; with a crocheted white tank for a summer concert in the park; with an oversized tee and cute sunglasses for a day of sightseeing. They’re way too versatile not to have as a go-to!
Looking to add a pair to your closet or update your look with a new style? Here are our picks of the best jean shorts, no matter what your style:
1. Best Dark Wash: Every girl needs a pair of dark wash jeans in her closet – they’re so flattering and slimming and seemingly go with everything. You need dark wash jean shorts as well! This pair is no exception to the flattering and slimming “rule” and not surprisingly it’s from jean-giants, Gap. The Gap 1969 Destructed Raw Edge Maddie Shorts could easily be your favorite, go-to shorts this summer.
2. Best Light Wash: Light-wash denim is fun and screams warm weather. Try the Rolled Denim Shorts from Express, with a lighter color and rolled hem, which fit the bill perfectly.
3. Best Budget Buy: Old Navy never disappoints with budget-friendly, trendy pieces and their jean short selection is no different. They have a ton of budget-friendly options, but the Cut-Off Diva Shorts are a fave, with the darker wash and subtle fringe.
4. Best On-Trend: Distressed detailing and a bit of fringe are on-point with this summer’s trends. This pair, featured on Asos, is Brooklyn Supply Co.’s Mid Wash Jean Short and they get it just right with a bit of wear and tear without looking like you were attacked by a mountain lion.
5. Best for Added Coverage: If you’re looking for a bit more coverage with your shorts, opt for a Bermuda-style pant. These Easy Bermuda Shorts from Joe’s Jeans at Bloomingdales are a great option—dark wash helps slim the thighs and the cuffed bottoms add a polished detail.
we heartsters – Are you a jean short devotee or a newbie trying the look this year? What’s your favorite jean shorts outfit?