5 Steps and Under $5: Make your own vanity tray
My dresser was becoming a mess with all of the beauty and hair products fighting for space. I’d seen vanity trays for sale on various design sites and had fallen in love. But why buy when you can DIY?
Today, I’m sharing a step-by-step guide to make your own customized vanity tray. This is a quick and easy project with a personalized touch and gorgeous results.
• Silver or gold tray (I picked mine up at the Dollar Store!)
• Scrapbook paper (or wrapping paper or whatever other design you love!)
• Scissors or Box cutter
• Mod Podge or other craft glue (make sure it’s one that dries clear)
• Sponge or sponge brush
• Hard surface or cutting board
1. Prep the tray by wiping it down with a paper towel. Next, lay the tray on top of your paper of choice and trace. You will want the paper to be cut to fit on the inset of the tray.
2. Using the box cutter, cut along the lines that you traced.
3. Spread a layer of Mod Podge on the inset of the tray. Don’t worry if it gets on the sides; it dries clear!
4. Lay the paper inside the tray. Be careful to match up the edges and smooth out any air bubbles.
5. Spread another layer of Mod Podge on top. Make sure to get along the edges to effectively seal the paper in place. The added layer will also help protect the paper from product spills.
6. Allow the tray to dry for several hours, and then you’re ready to go. Just add your prettiest products, or group your daily essentials, onto the tray and admire your work.
Not bad – just 20 minutes and you have an upgraded and personalized twist on a classic bedroom piece!
we heartsters — have you eyed the vanity trays in the decor mags? Will you give this a try to organize your beauty products?
Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link, a link that gives us a small commission if you purchase the item. For more info, or any questions, please see our disclosure policy.