This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
If you have ever had a bad hair day, chances are it was because your hair was frizzy.
Dealing with frizzy hair can be a frustrating experience for anyone!
The thing is, no matter what you do, if your hair is frizzy ut seems to end up looking puffy and out of control.
You spend countless hours (not to mention dollars) trying to tame your mane, only for it to fall flat by midday. womp-womp
But…before you reach for that straightening iron, take a deep breath and know that you’re not alone—frizzy hair is extremely common.
The good news is there are ways to tame your frizzy hair and get it looking sleek and shiny.
With a little bit of effort, you can have the perfect mane in no time.
But what exactly is the meaning of frizzy hair? And why does it happen?
What Does Frizzy Hair Mean?
The science of frizzy hair can be complicated and difficult to understand, but there are ways to manage it.
The first step is learning what causes frizzy hair.
What Is Frizzy Hair?
Frizzy hair is a result of damage and breakage in the hair shaft due to a lack of moisture.
When the hair shaft doesn’t have enough moisture, it starts to absorb moisture from the air around it.
This causes the hair to swell and creates a frizzy, fly-away appearance.
What is the difference between frizz and curl?
The terms frizz and curl are often used interchangeably, but they’re not the same thing.
Frizzy hair is a result of damage and breakage in the hair shaft.
Curly hair is typically caused by twisting or coiling of the hair shaft.
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
Frizzy hair is caused by a variety of factors, including humidity, over-processing, and damage from heat styling.
This can be due to a number of factors, including:
- Heat damage
While there is no one-size-fits-all solution to frizzy hair, there are a few things you can do to help tame the frizz and achieve sleek, shiny locks.
Frizz Prone Hair
If you have frizz-prone hair, you know the drill.
You meticulously straighten your strands, only to have them turn into a puffy, frizzy mess by midday. (And don’t even think about stepping outside on a humid day!)
But before you reach for that bottle of anti-frizz serum (again), know this: There are tons of other women out there with the same hair type as you.
In fact, over 50% of women polled in a recent study said they deal with frizz on a daily basis.
What Does Frizzy Hair Look Like?
People often ask, “what does frizzy hair look like?”
Frizzy hair is usually dry, lacks luster, and can be difficult to manage.
It is often difficult to style and can often look unkempt giving the phrase ‘bad hair day’ all new meaning.
If you have ever seen a picture of a poodle, you know what frizzy hair looks like.
But if you haven’t, frizzy hair is basically hair that is not smooth.
The individual hairs are more like small coils.
Frizzy hair can be caused by many things, such as humidity, damage, and even genetics.
While it might not be the most popular hair type, there are many people who rock their frizz with confidence.
What Are The Types of Frizzy Hair?
While it can be frustrating to deal with, there are a number of types of frizz.
There are many different types of frizz, from the gentle wave of a few extra flyaways to the unruly and unpredictable halo of a bad hair day.
And while we may not be able to control the weather, there are definitely some things we can do to tame our manes.
Here’s a breakdown of the most common types of frizz, and how to deal with them.
The Fly-Away Frizz
Fly-away frizz is a gentle wave, usually found on the crown of the head or around the face, and it’s caused by unruly strands of hair that are just out of control.
This type of frizz can be solved with the right products and styling techniques.
The key is to keep your hair moisturized, use a styling product that provides hold without weighing down the hair, and work in small sections from the mid-section down.
The Static Cycle
The static cycle is the frizzy, puffball look that happens when you leave your hair untouched after you’ve dried it.
You know the one: It looks like you stuck your finger into an electrical outlet.
This is because the hair is dry and brittle, and static electricity causes strands to clump together.
It’s also a problem that can be solved with the right products and techniques.
Before you blow dry your hair, use a styling product that provides hold without weighing down the hair.
This will help keep it smooth and prevent flyaways. After you’ve finished drying your hair, use an anti-frizz serum to smooth and shine.
This is the one that I do. I’m the only one in my family who has naturally curly hair, so I always thought it was normal for my hair to be a little crunchy after washing it.
I’ve been conditioned to believe that’s how my hair should be!
That’s until I started using the right products and techniques. I was using a really good conditioner, but it was too heavy for my hair. ys to tame frizzy hair.
With the right products and styling techniques, you can achieve smooth, sleek locks that are frizz-free.
What Are The Best Styling Products For Frizzy Hair?
If you want to get rid of frizz and tame wild hair, here are our favorite products:
Goody Spin Pins
- 1. Goody Mini Spin Pins: Goody Simple Styles Mini Spin Pins are perfect for creating a chic look for work, school, special occasions like proms and weddings, or just a...
- 2. SlideProof Grip: Lock in style with a strong slide proof grip. Mini spin pins do the work of 20 bobby pins for all-day hold.
- 3. 3 Easy Steps: Includes easy-to-follow, three step instructions for achieving a professionally perfect top knot, triple spin and half-spin style.
- 2-Count mini, corkscrew hairpins
- These pins have a secret feature to keep hair smooth
- Styling tool and hairpin all-in-one
- Locking mechanism secures ends of hair
- Compact/easy to carry in your purse or bag
- Great tool for smoothing out curly hair.
- Helpful for creating fun hairstyles like fishtail braids, French braids, and other hairstyles
Hawwwy Spiral Bobby Pins
- Still Using Old-fashioned Bobby Pins? Spiral Bobby Pins are the NEW way to bobby pin your hair. Spin pins are easy to use, comfortable & cute too. Receive 4 x 2" Hawwwy...
- Spins Pins Made Easy: With these spiral hair pins, you spin them into your hair.-- like a screw! The non-scratch rounded tips will keep your head safe and NO need to open...
- Keeps hair in place: Perfect Bun or Messy Hair Bun, just 2-3 spin pins will do the job of more than twenty bobby pins. Safe money and time with these twist screws.
- 8 pack Spiral bobby pins
- Made of strong alloy
- For all hair types
- Ideal for keeping hair secure
- Gentle on hair
xtava Hair Diffuser
- CELEBRATE YOUR CURLS: Give your curls the attention they deserve with Xtava's hair diffuser, designed to enhance your natural curl and texture
- GET RID OF FRIZZ: 360 degree airflow diffuses hair evenly and gently to maximize volume while banishing frizz
- SAVE TIME WITH QUICK DRYING: If you’ve ever felt the pain of an arm cramp while drying your hair, you’ll appreciate how Xtava's extra large design speeds up blow...
- For blow dryers with a 1.8-inch diameter nozzle
- 360 degree air flow
- Fingers feature drying vents
- Strong and durable with an inner band seal
- Creates volume
The xtava Hair Diffuser is a must-have if you want to get soft, beachy waves.
It has a microfiber pad that absorbs moisture and dries hair quickly, which is what you need in order to create those classic beachy waves. xtava Hair Diffuser is great for creating volume and getting rid of frizz.
LuckAuk Hair Straightener Brush
- BEAUTIFUL STRAIGHT AND CURLY HAIR: LuckAuk 2 in 1 hair straightener and curler, elegantly designed look, you can make smooth straight or curly hair as you wish, hair...
- PREHEAT 60s: The upgraded hair straightener has a preheating time of about 60s at 110V, 30s at 220V to allow the teeth to be heated more evenly and release negative ions...
- IONIC HAIR CARE: The LuckAuk negative ion hair straightener brush with negative ions releases millions of negative ions to neutralize static electricity when in use,...
- 2-in-1 hair straightening brush
- 5 temps and fast heating
- Negative ion straightener
- Anti-scalding shell
LuckAuk hair straightener brush is a must-have if you want to get smooth, straight hair.
Does Frizzy Hair Mean Damaged Hair?
When it comes to hair, there are many different types and textures.
Some people have straight hair, while others have curly or frizzy hair.
While frizzy hair is often seen as damaged hair, that isn’t always the case.
As noted above, frizzy hair can be caused by a number of factors, including humidity, overwashing, and heat damage.
However, if you take care of your hair and use the right products, you can have healthy and frizz-free hair.
Treatments for Frizzy Hair
You guessed it, it’s super annoying, but don’t despair – there are treatments available that can help tame your frizzy hair.
If you’re one of the many people with frizzy hair, you know how frustrating it can be to deal with. (understatement of the year)
Your hair is dry, and brittle, and won’t stay in place no matter what you do.
You guessed it, it’s super annoying, but don’t despair – there are treatments available that can help tame your frizzy hair!
One treatment option is to use a deep conditioner.
Deep conditioners can help to hydrate your hair and make it softer and more manageable.
L’Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5 Rapid Reviver Deep Conditioner
- The L’Oreal Paris Total Repair 5 Rapid Reviver deep conditioner provides 2X less breakage than a leading conditioner while also repairing the hair
- Need more than a regular conditioner -This deep conditioning, damage repairing rich formula with 20 percent conditioning serum with Almond plus Protein rapidly revives...
- Revives in only 60 seconds, just replace your regular conditioner with the L’Oreal Paris Total Repair 5 Rapid Reviver
- Repairs damaged hair
- No leave-in time
- Heat protectant
- Contains damage serum and protein
- 6 oz
BIOLAGE Ultra Hydra Source Conditioning Balm
- Hydrating Conditioner: Professional salon solution to repair very dry, damaged hair. Anti-frizz, deep conditioner intensely moisturizes for healthy looking hair...
- Benefits: Anti-frizz hair conditioner that instantly renews moisture for healthy looking hair Formulated with aloe leaf juice, cupuacu butter and apricot kernel to help...
- Additional Benefits: Paraben-free formula is formulated specifically for color treated hair. Quench dry, thirsty hair with state-of-the-art formulas inspired by nature...
- Vegan liquid balm
- For dry, damaged hair
- 33.8 fl oz
Redken Bonding Conditioner for Damaged Hair Repair
- Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Conditioner is a vegan, sulfate-free, professional conditioner for all types of damaged hair looking to strengthen hair, reinforce...
- All-in-one formula with citric acid and Redken's bonding care complex that repairs strength in damaged hair strands. Provides ultimate strength repair, intense...
- Acidic haircare helps protect salon color from fading and reinforces weakened hair bonds to improve hair's strength and resiliency. Thick consistency coats hair with less...
- 10.1 fl oz Acidic bonding concentrate
- For all hair types
- Repair for dry, damaged hair
- Reinforces weakened bonds
Another treatment option is to use a leave-in conditioner.
Leave-in conditioner can be applied after you’ve washed your hair and will help to keep the moisture in longer. #praisebe
The conditioner will coat each strand of hair, making it smoother and softer.
SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Leave-in Conditioner Treatment
- SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Leave-In is a sulfate free conditioner that softens hair and improves styling manageability.
- This leave-in conditioner is great to detangle, protect and control frizz. It leaves natural hair wrapped in a light coastal coconut breeze.
- All SheaMoisture hair products including this leave in hair conditioner are sustainably produced and cruelty-free.
- 100% extra virgin coconut oil
- For all hair types
- 8 oz
John Frieda Frizz Ease Nourishing Leave-in Conditioner
- ANTI FRIZZ HAIR STRAIGHTENER - Use our Flat Iron Spray as a straight hair styling product for smooth results that last up to 3 days, or your next shampoo without the...
- HEAT-ACTIVATED FOR A LONGER STAY - Keep your straight hairstyle with our uniquely formulated Flat Iron Spray for sleek, straight hair style that lasts
- LIGHTWEIGHT SMOOTHING SPRAY - Using a proprietary blend of polymers with keratin protein, our weightless spray removes frizz from each strand for a glossy, smooth finish
- 8 oz
- Contains vitamins A, C and E
- Smooth results
- Lasts up to 3 days
- Heat-activated for a longer stay
- Proprietary blend of polymers with keratin protein
- Weightless spray removes frizz from each strand
- Leaves a glossy, smooth finish
Nexxus Prep and Protect Leave-In Spray Leave-in Conditioner
- The Nexxus Prep and Protect Spray has multiple benefits and can be used as both a heat protectant spray and a detangler spray to weightlessly moisturize hair
- This detangler and heat protectant spray is made with hyaluronic acid and elastin protein and will smooth, soften and detangle hair
- This detangler and heat protectant spray is enriched with our PROTEINLOCK formula to form a protective barrier that protects hair from heat and styling damage
- Elastin protein Natural Hyaluronic acid Detangler
- Heat protectant
- 4.1 oz
Hair Repair Masks
Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask and Deep Conditioner By Arvazallia
- Professional Salon Treatment That Instantly Transforms The Texture of Your Hair Leaving it Soft, Silky, and Easier to Manage
- Repairs, Restores, and Strengthens Weak, Damaged, and Overprocessed Hair To Restore a Healthy Look While Promoting Natural Hair Growth
- Deeply Conditions, Detangles, Hydrates, and Revives Dull and Dry Hair Improving its Manageability and Elasticity and giving it a Beautiful Shine
- For dry or damaged hair
- 8.45 Oz
- Professional salon treatment
- Cosmetic-grade argan oil
- Rich with essential vitamins and nutrients
K18 Leave-In Repair Hair Mask
- AN AT-HOME Leave-In Treatment infused with the patented K18Peptide that renews hair to its most youthful, healthy state. Benefits: Works to repair even the most extreme...
- CREATES LIKE HAIR LIKE NEW: Traveling into the inner-most layers of hair to reach the core polypeptide chains our revolutionary K18Peptide is just the right size and...
- RENEWS ALL HAIR TYPES: K18 doesn’t just hide damage or patch it up leaving hair brittle, it transforms even the most extreme damage into hair that looks and feels like...
- 50 ml Renew hair strength
- Adds bounce
- Repairs dry or damaged hair in minutes
Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask
- High performance
- Conditions dryness to improve texture
- Argan oil rich treatment
- 2.5 oz For dry hair
- Reduces static
- Conditions with no heat required
Read our full Moroccan Oil Review Here.
In conclusion, frizzy hair is a type of hair that is often difficult to manage.
Frizz is a condition of the hair that results in a lack of smoothness and definition.
It can be caused by several factors, including humidity, damaged hair, and over-processing.
Frizz can be frustrating to deal with, but there are a number of ways to tame it. With the right products and styling techniques, you can achieve smooth, sleek hair that looks shiny and healthy and works best for you.
You May Also Like These Hair Posts: