Because Dude, knots are gnarly.
Are you a water baby? Once upon a time I was, but as I’ve gotten older my preference has turned to hot tubs rather than colder, unheated bodies of water. At the same time I’m inexplicably drawn to the ocean. The sun, sand, and surf draw me in every time.
As summer fades into fall I know I’m going to miss those days at the beach, but I’ve also noticed the beating my hair has gotten with all that sun! Sure, those natural highlights look nice from afar, but one touch of the crispy ends is pretty off putting. Rather than resorting to drastic measures (ie hacking off my hair again), I think it’s time for a gentler remedy. Luster Tonic leave-in conditioner came just in time.
Tonic is a California based company that was founded with an eye on the surf and style. All that time in the ocean can really damage hair so Tonic has developed three separate products to help surfer girls look as great out of the water as they do hanging ten.
• Threesome Tonic is a 3-in-1 product designed to be used as a shampoo, conditioner, and a body wash/shave lotion. Infused with peppermint, this multitasker will get you going in no time.
• The Chronic Tonic is a shampoo and conditioner duo for those with color treated hair. Have a Brazilian blow out? No worry; The Chronic is your friend.
• Luster Tonic is a leave in conditioner to detangle, protect and add shine to the gnarly-est of messes. Bonus- you can use it as a lotion!
My first few times using Luster Tonic were a little confusing. I wasn’t sure if I was using enough product, and applying it was tricky. It’s designed to be a spray-on cream, but I found the spray mechanism to work more like a pump, the product is just too thick. I started spraying it into my palm and that gave me a better idea of how much product to use, as well as more equal application.
The smell is fantastic, vanilla and coconut and tropical beaches all at once. While it didn’t make my hair terribly shiny, it’s a great detangler for my crazy curls. After using Luster Tonic for a few weeks I’ve noticed that my hair feels healthier, and when I wake up in the morning it’s not such a rat’s nest of tangles. Used as a lotion it’s a bit heavy and has a hard time being absorbed, but it feels great before heading off into the sun. Not a daily lotion, but in a pinch it’s nice.
• Formulated to be 100% environmentally friendly.
• No parabens or sulfates.
• Hard to dispense.
• Other than the Tonic website, their products are only sold in surf shops. Land-locked hair needs love, too!
Despite never having been on a surfboard in my life (it’s a little tougher here in New England) I can pretend with Tonic. My hair feels lovely, and maybe with continued use I can have those coveted surfer waves next summer. That’s hair, not water…
Testers, what did you think of Luster Tonic ?
Amanda loves all things yummy, shiny, beautiful, and fun. On any given day you’ll find her in the kitchen, walking her dogs, or catching a concert with friends.
Disclosure: This review includes products that were provided by the manufacturer/PR firm for our consideration. For more info, or any questions, please see our disclosure policy.