As we’ve mentioned, we’re very excited around wht headquarters for the Grey Gardens premiere airing April 18th on HBO. Billboards and bus stop signage are plastered all over LA, especially on Sunset, with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange looking every bit the part of Big and Little Edie. And to say we’re more than just a bit tickled to see what these talented ladies do with these icons would be a real understatement.
We’d like to make a suggestion, if you’re as Grey Gardens obsessed as we are, why not have a viewing party? As luck would have it, 4 of us will actually be together on the 18th to see the premiere. Tyna and I had a test run of the menu and we can assure you, it’s quite the hit!
Here’s the steps to make sure your shin dig is a smash too…
- Suggest that people dress in character. The photo above is from Halloween 2 years ago. You’ve got Big and Little Edie, Jerry (the Marble Faun), a raccoon (going for the Wonder Bread) and my favorite, the portrait of Big Edie as a young woman that the cat likes to poop behind (you can’t see it in the pic, but we’ve got a cat peeking out from the other side of the frame) “At least someone is doing what they want!”
- Props are everything. Some ideas; boxes filed with groceries, cats, loaves of bread and boxes of Cat Chow, newspapers spread all over the floor, books: Zolar’s It’s all in the Stars book (and a magnifying glass to read it with) and The Marble Faun (which should be hidden somewhere in the house with a door prize for who finds it), Miniature American Flags to wave, corn on the cob in a pan/on a hotplate. This list could go on and on…
- A soundtrack for pre and post movie. If you have satellite radio, you’re in luck. There are numerous fitting channels of great old music. If not, any pre world war II area compilation CD will help set the tone.
- Every party needs a signature cocktail. There are a number of ways you could go here. But whatever you do serve, do so in old jelly jars with forks as stirrers. I’d suggest something real old timey, like a Gin Rickey or a Tom Collins
Last and certainly not least, is your menu. We chose items eaten in the movie, along with making dishes that we renamed with famous quotes. Once we got going, it was easy to come up with a funny, and rather yummy menu! We served:
- Jerry Likes My Corn Salad (recipe below)
- Tea for Two Sandwiches (fingers sandwiches with egg salad)
- Pate, Put a Bit of Lemon on It
- Marble Faun Cake
- I’m Simply Pulverized by this Pasta Salad
- Grey Garden Burgers
- I’ll take a (hot) dog any day
- 2 cups of cooked corn (cut it from the cob, it’s so worth it)
- 1 diced avocado
- 1 pint halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh pepper
Whisk together the last 6 ingredients and toss with the first 4. Real Simple indeed.
Voilà! You cooked up a pretty nice little viewing party! You can only hope someone brings you a spiral notepad in a coupon box for a hostess gift…
Update: We are so happy to be introducing the world of Big and Little Edie to many of our readers! If our posts have piqued your curiosity or you’re looking for information before the Grey Gardens HBO Film premiere, we need to point you to our favorite site for the latest breaking information on everything pertaining to the Beales, Grey Gardens News. They just posted a great article How to prepare for HBO’s Grey Gardens, with oodles of links covering the Beales, the fashions and the times of the ladies of Grey Gardens. It’s perfect for those of you who have yet to see the documentary, but will (undoubtedly) soon be big fans!