a Green Monday review of the new tarte collection
Ok, QVC shoppers, have we got a deal for you! Never shopped QVC? You may have just found your first purchase…
The tarte Amazonian Adventure Collection ($48) is a 6 product, 2 dual-ended brush set based on founder Maureen Kelly’s travels to the Amazon Rain Forest. The collection utilizes Amazonian clay, which she describes as her “favorite beauty breakthrough” (that means a lot coming from tarte!)
Honestly, I was a bit worried at the thought of clay in cosmetics. I love it in skincare; it absorbs oil and leaves skin looking firm and clean. But you usually only leave it on for a few minutes, then was it off (as in a mask). Leaving it on the skin? It sounded terribly dry. But, it turns out that Amazonian clay is not dry at all. It’s rich in plant and fruit extracts (from traveling the 4,000 mile journey along the Amazon River) and is known for it’s ability to balance all skin types and reduce the appearance of dryness and flakiness.
And I have to say, it feels true. This products feel really fabulous on your skin, silky and not dry at all. The collection contains:
• Amazonian clay-infused cheek stain in Perfect Rose
• emphasEYES Amazonian clay waterproof shadow/liner in Blackened Plum
• Lights, Camera, Lashes! mascara
• emphasEYES Amazonian clay-infused eye shadow trio in Matte Light Pink, Shimmering Sand, and Burnt Bronze
• emphasEYES Amazonian clay-infused waterproof brow mousse
• vitamin-infused lip gloss in Paradise, a rosy pink (exclusive to QVC until the end of this year)
A stand out for me is the emphasEYES shadow/liner in Blackened Plum. Soft and creamy, it’s easy to work with and easy to smudge for a smoky look. Yet once it’s dry, it’s not going anywhere. And for a warm toned someone who has a hard time with cool purples, this is a very wearable, neutral shade (hooray!)
I also really love the Brow Mousse, for the same reasons I like the liner; soft, creamy, unbudgeable. I only wish the taupe shade was a tiny bit lighter (it’s a bit dark for my daytime blonde brows). Fingers crossed this makes it into their standard line up. Check out the importance of a well-maincured brow…
Is it the kit for you? Here’s how I’d weigh the points…
• A great value; $144 worth of products for just $48.
• The natural colors could work on just about any skin tone.
• A green beauty choice; packed full of good for you ingredients.
• Would make a great gift for a budding makeup enthusiast.
• Personally, I don’t like double ended brushes because I store my brushes upright. I would have rather they kept them out and made the price a bit lower.
• Though very pretty, if you own a lot of makeup there’s probably not a shade in here that you don’t already have.
How about it, think you’d like to go on the tarte Amazonian Adventure?
Stef is many things. Amongst them: co-editor of we heart this, graphic designer, Philly girl in the California desert, borderline hoarder and a hardcore beauty junkie.
Disclosure: This review includes products that were provided by the manufacturer/PR firm for our consideration. For more info, or any questions, please see our disclosure policy.