This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Wandering through Ulta recently, I saw an endcap that made me stop in my tracks. I’d read that the company that makes Stila had brought back Jane. Cosmetics in 2013, but hadn’t actually seen them in person until then. Formerly j.a.n.e., the brand has dropped all but one period from its logo and revamped the line to include modern products like BB creams and stain glosses (but sadly, no mini trial lipsticks or creme shadows.). I looked briefly, but passed it by – my inner 16 year old not ready to give up her memories of pots of lilac eyeshadow and silver eyeliner.
It did, however, send me down a river of nostalgia for the beauty products of my teen years. As a kid of the late 90’s, my bathroom counter was littered with bottles of blue Sea Breeze toner, peach tubes of St. Ives Apricot Facial Scrub and my cherished pale yellow Happy Daisy lotion by Bath and Body Works. I wasn’t allowed to wear enough makeup to fill up my Caboodle, but my Cherry Cola Kissing Coolers languished at the bottom with my Bubble Gum Kissing Potion, until I got older and was allowed to wear real makeup.
Or at least what I could afford on my allowance at Eckerd’s, which amounted to long sticks of off-brand black eyeliner melted with a forbidden lighter, L’Oréal Rogue Pulp lipgloss in Deep Wine Crush, and Cover Girl Clean powder in the darkest shade they had. (Suntan. Always Suntan.)
Curious, I took the scientific route and did a poll of Facebook among my friends: What beauty products did you adore when you were a teen? Ranging in graduation years from 1991 to 2005, I think you might find some of your favorites among the list.
- The Classics:
• Maybelline Great Lash
• Bath and Body Works body products in Sweet Pea, Cucumber Melon, Plumeria, Juniper Breeze and Warm Vanilla Sugar
• Avon Sweet Honesty
• Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner Smooth and Shine Collections
• Aqua Net Hairspray
• Victoria’s Secret Very Sexy and Love Spell body spray
• Covergirl Clean foundation and powder
• Wet n Wild nail polishes
• Bonne Bell Lip Smackers
• Clinique Facial Soap Bar and Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion
• Hard Candy nail polish
• Manic Panic, Special Effects SFX and Punky Color hair dye
- Those That Are Still Around?
• Queen Helene Mint Julep Face Masque
• Rave hairspray and gel
• Hot Topic Nightmare Before Christmas Rag Doll perfume
• Victoria’s Secret Strawberries & Champagne body spray
• YSL In Love Again perfume
• Bath and Body Works body products in Country Apple
• L’Oreal HIP Kohl Black eyeliner
• Gap perfume in Grass and Heaven
• Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner with Rosemary
• L’Oreal Studio Line Pumping Curls Spray and Springing Curls Mousse
- Oh, geez, WHY?:
• Claire’s white eyeliner
• White-out or Sharpie as nail polish
• Anything we “borrowed” from our mom/sister with a different skin tone
• Srunchies. Never. Again.
Ready to pull out your Nirvana cd’s, slather yourself in sparkle and over-do it on your makeup? Or resist the urge and just join us in the comments and let’s talk 90’s beauty! I want to know if your favorites made the list – and what 90’s classics somehow missed the cut.
we heartsters – What were your go-to beauty items of the 90’s?
Caboodle photo by AngieSix, all others by Alyssa for we heart this.
- Allure and Butter London swatches and review - September 30, 2015
- Essie Summer 2015 and Essie Neon 2015 swatches and review - August 13, 2015
- First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Oil-Free Mattifying Gel and Vitamin Hydrating Mist - July 15, 2015