This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Platinum blonde is a difficult hair color to achieve and keep, especially when you’re a fan of at-home DIY hair color kits, but it’s also one of the most versatile shades out there.
Platinum blonde hair color will undoubtedly turn some heads on the street for good reasons. It gives off a classic look that you can wear any time of the year.
So if you’re looking for a sign to finally dive into this classic yet bold hair color, here it is!
Keep reading to learn if you can dye your hair platinum blonde at home and discover the top platinum blonde hair dyes you can find.
- Ultra long-lasting permanence
- Dramatically reduces hair breakage
- With active ingredients for soft and shiny hair
- 3-in-1 product that colors, cleanses, and conditions hair
- Infused with keratin and hair-conditioning oils
- Deposits color in-shower
Table of Contents
8 Top Platinum Blonde Hair Dyes
Without further ado, here are our top eight picks of the top boxed platinum blonde hair dyes!
This won’t just color your hair platinum blonde; it’s also infused with plant-based nourishing oils to keep your hair healthy!
Key benefits: Non-drip creme formula; blend of fruit oils with hair conditioning effects; color can stay vibrant for up to 8 weeks
- Avocado oil has plant-based fatty acids for smoother, silkier hair
- Olive oil has antioxidants that make strands stronger and shinier
- Shea oil can help nourish hair
Your hair will need all the help after bleaching and dyeing sessions, and you’ll get that with Garnier’s Nutrisse Ultra Color kits.
The Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color line has one of the top permanent platinum hair dyes because it’s formulated with conditioning fruit oils that will nourish your hair.
Near-white platinum hair dye will likely subject your hair to several bleaching sessions. The good news is this product is infused with avocado, olive, and shea oils that will get you closer to bringing nourishment back to every strand.
It’s also formulated to work on many hair textures, including straight, curly, and curly-to-coily hair types.
This one has a no-drip creme formula, so you don’t have to worry about making a huge mess when coloring your hair!
If you have darker hair, worry not because platinum blonde color is still possible with boxed hair color from the L'Oreal Paris Feria series.
Key benefits: Can lift to eight levels; no foul odor; promises platinum blonde result even on brown hair
- Delivers “crystal clear” platinum finish
- Infused with healthy oils for conditioning
- Comes with anti-brass conditioner
Looking for a platinum hair coloring kit that won’t compromise your hair? This one’s for you!
Don’t let your naturally darker hair stop you from getting the trendy platinum blonde hair color.
The L’Oreal Paris Feria series has been popular for its array of bright hair color shades that, fortunately, includes various platinum blonde options.
But if you’re aiming for the most platinum blonde color change possible, you may want to check out this Extreme Platinum shade.
Despite the promised drastic changes, it’s formulated to add shimmer to your hair without damaging it or leaving it dull. So it’s not surprising that many consider it one of the top, lightest blonde hair dyes.
It’s infused with coconut oil and sunflower seed oil for extra health benefits while coloring your hair.
You don’t have to sacrifice your hair’s condition when using boxed platinum blonde hair color crafted to rebuild every strand.
Key benefits: With anti-breakage formula; long-lasting color; formulated to protect hair fibers during and after coloring
- With active ingredients like linseed oil and meadowfoam seed oil
- Free of parabens, paraffin, and ethyl alcohol
- Kit includes four products for three-stage coloring and maintenance
Who would’ve thought taking care of your hair while coloring it in the lightest blonde is possible? Well, it is, thanks to the Il Salone Milano Plex Rebuilder!
What makes this one of the top hair dyes for white blonde or platinum blonde colors is Il Salone Milano’s Plex Rebuilder technology.
Il Salone Milano’s test reportedly showed the Plex Builder formula resulted in 93% less hair breakage.
It also helps seal cuticles so that the color is long-lasting and stays looking brilliant, making it one of the top platinum blonde permanent hair dyes.
The hair color products are formulated with linseed oil and meadowfoam seed oil as active ingredients to keep your hair soft and shiny after coloring.
The included post-color conditioner and hair mask contain quinoa and keratin to improve hair elasticity.
Many are raving about the platinum shade of Revlon Color Effects for its easy-to-use and permanent formula.
Key benefits: Improved formula to reduce hair damage; delivers ultra-light platinum color; permanent hair formula
- Bond Restore anti-breakage technology
- At-home color kit that lifts to seven levels
With a longer-lasting color and formula that protects the hair, you can’t go wrong with this platinum blonde hair dye.
The highlight of the Revlon Color Effects kit is its Luminous Platinum Powder. And it’s the main reason many found this one easy to use because it’s formulated to deliver an ultra-lightening effect even on naturally darker hair.
Of course, the finished result will vary depending on your natural hair color. But this one results in a shade of platinum blonde, even on medium brown hair.
It’s also equipped with Revlon’s Bond Restore Complex for less hair damage and breakage. And the kit comes with a violet after-care shampoo and conditioner that makes the color pop even more while reducing brassy tones.
This is one of the top choices if you’re looking for a hair coloring product in a gel formula.
Key benefits: Gentle formula; gel consistency; customizable color with 36 Herbatint shades
- 8 herbal extracts
- Easy-to-apply gel formula
- Odorless formula
Enjoy the benefits of herbal extracts that nourish, moisturize, and strengthen strands while coloring your hair.
If you’re new to at-home hair coloring, Herbatint’s boxed platinum blonde hair dye might be your top choice. The coloring product comes in gel form, so some users find it easier to mix and apply.
It’s also popular among thousands of hair color enthusiasts for its gentle formula enriched with eight herbal extracts: aloe vera, witch hazel, walnut, white birch, rhubarb, and more.
Together, these herbal extracts can help nourish your hair. They can also protect the scalp during coloring and boost the color for a vibrant finish.
It’s a coloring product you can use even while in the shower. It doesn’t get any easier than this!
Key benefits: 3-in-1 product; non-damaging formula; doesn’t require a color developer or activator
- Infused with keratin
- Hair-nourishing ingredients like coconut oil, rosehip oil, and jojoba oil
- Doesn’t contain sulfates, parabens, and gluten
A product that colors, cleanses, and conditions your hair all at once? Yes, please!
You can forgo the mixing part of the hair coloring process with Keracolor’s Clenditioner, which is available in the shade of Platinum.
It doesn’t need a developer or activator to deposit platinum blonde color as long as your hair is naturally light blonde or you’ve bleached enough to reach level 9.
You can then apply this product on dry or wet hair and leave it only for 3 to 20 minutes.
Thousands have been raving about Keracolor’s Color + Clenditioner line because it works as a coloring, cleansing, and conditioning product. So you’re saving time while achieving the color you want.
Save yourself a trip to the salon and touch up your hair color with this in-shower toning gloss from a trusted brand.
Key benefits: Designed for in-shower use; hair conditioning properties; improves hair’s shine and color
- Coconut oil
- No mixing needed
- Tones fading hair color
Now you can maintain your hair’s vibrant color with a gentle and easy-to-use product.
If you’re already donning a gorgeous platinum blonde hair color, this in-shower toning gloss from L’Oreal Paris is something you should try.
It’s top to use on color-treated hair that needs a little boost if its hue is starting to fade. So you won’t have to visit the salon each time you need a touch-up!
You can also use this on bleached hair if you have decided to build a platinum blonde color.
Want the best platinum hair dye from a reliable brand in the world of hair care? Here's Blonde It Up in Platinum by Clairol!
Key benefits: Promises a soft, glossy finish; gives you platinum blonde without the need for bleach; lasts a long time
- Patented AminoLift Technology lifts pigment up to five levels
- AminoGlycine Complex protects your hair's natural kertain and protein
- Comes with a purple conditioner to maintain the color
Gentle and effective, this is the go-to choice for vibrant, bleach-free blondes.
Introducing Clairol Blonde It Up, the advanced blonding system that lightens hair up to five levels without bleach! Users particularly love its lasting power too.
The patented AminoLift Technology ensures stunning results while protecting your hair’s natural keratin. Enjoy conditioned, glossy locks with the bleach-free formula.
With the kit’s Shimmer Lights Conditioner, you also get to tame brassiness and maintain brightness to maintain the color for weeks!
What Is Platinum Blonde Hair Color?
As you may already know, there are tons of variations of blonde hair colors out there. And if you’re one of the people who thought or referred to platinum blonde as white or silver hair color, well, no one can blame you.
Platinum blonde happens to be one of the lightest shades of blonde. In fact, dictionaries define platinum blonde as a “pale and silvery” shade of blonde.
Its shade is what gives off that striking, snowy look, and it certainly complements just about any skin tone.
Can You Dye Your Hair Platinum Blonde at Home?
The short answer is yes. You can dye your hair platinum blonde at home. But — and this is important — it won’t be an easy or quick process.
Because it’s one of the lightest shades of hair color out there, you’ll have to do rigorous preparation before you whip out your choice of hair dye for a platinum blonde finish.
- If you previously dyed your hair, you’ll have to remove that dye first. You can’t get rid of color by simply applying a different color.
That’s even more true if you’re changing to something as light as platinum blonde. So for the best results, apply a hair color remover first.
- If you have naturally darker hair, you’ll most likely have to bleach it to achieve a platinum blonde hair color. Depending on the shade of your hair, you may even have to do several bleaching sessions.
Some platinum blonde box dyes may come with a bleaching powder. Otherwise, find great bleaching kits you can use at home for dark hair.
If your hair needs several bleaching sessions, be patient. It’s important to take an ample break after each application.
But you can minimize that by taking your time and spacing out each session.
Maintaining Platinum Blonde Hair
Bleaching causes damage; there’s no escaping that. The mere result of bleaching to dye your hair platinum blonde also means you’ll have to exert more effort to keep it healthy and looking vibrant.
White blonde hair dyes will give you a timeless, gorgeous look. But be ready to do the extra work!
- Sulfate-free shampoo. Platinum blonde hair is more prone to dryness and damage, so it’s essential to use a sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfates can strip the hair of natural oils, making it more susceptible to breakage and fading.
- Purple shampoo. Invest in a good purple shampoo. Platinum blonde hair can develop yellow or brassy tones over time due to factors like sunlight, pollution, and water minerals.
Purple shampoo helps neutralize these unwanted tones, keeping your hair cool and vibrant. Use it once or twice a week or as needed.
- Deep conditioning treatments. Platinum blonde hair can be more prone to dryness and damage, so use a deep conditioning treatment regularly to keep your hair moisturized and healthy.
Look for products with hydrating and repairing ingredients like argan oil or keratin.
- Sun protection. Sun exposure can cause color fading and damage to your hair. Consider wearing a hat or using a UV-protective hair spray when spending extended periods in the sun.
- Regular trims. Keep your hair in good condition by getting regular trims to remove split ends and prevent breakage. This helps maintain the overall health and appearance of your platinum blonde hair.
- Gentle combing. Wet hair is more prone to breakage, so be gentle when combing it. Use a wide-tooth comb to detangle, starting from the ends and working your way up.
- Protective styles. Consider wearing protective hairstyles like braids or buns to reduce friction and prevent breakage, especially when sleeping.
- Excessive heat styling. Heat styling tools can contribute to hair damage, especially for color-treated hair. Minimize the use of flat irons, curling irons, and blow dryers, or use them on the lowest heat settings.
If you must use heat styling tools, use a heat protectant spray before styling.
- Chlorine and saltwater. Both chlorine and saltwater can be harsh on color-treated hair. If you swim in a pool, wet your hair with clean water before entering, and use a swim cap.
Rinse your hair thoroughly with fresh water after swimming in saltwater.
- Over-washing. Washing your hair too frequently can strip it of natural oils, leading to dryness. Try to wash your hair only when necessary and use dry shampoo between washes to absorb excess oil.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Icy Blonde the Same as Platinum Blonde?
It’s easy to see icy blonde and platinum blonde as the same hair color. But no, they’re different shades of blonde.
Their underlying pigments are what makes them distinct, which are blue for icy blonde and yellow for platinum blonde.
Icy blonde is paler, so it looks whiter. On the other hand, platinum blonde’s underlying pigments give it more hints of color.
So while both colors look cooler than regular blonde, platinum blonde’s look is closer to other shades of blonde.
Can I Get Platinum Blonde Color Without Bleaching?
It’s possible, but not for everyone.
The answer to this question depends on your hair’s starting level before you dye your hair platinum blonde. Among several factors to consider, your hair color’s current level is the most important.
You’ll find some products listed above that promise to lift or lighten your hair by as much as nine levels.
But Aveda’s global artistic director for hair color, Ian Michael Black, says that if the color you want is more than five shades lighter, you’ll have to bleach your hair. Note that the platinum blonde color is at least a level 10.
Choose the Top Hair Dye for Platinum Blonde Today
The shade and vibrance of platinum blonde may have been the reasons you’ve long thought it’s hard to achieve without going to the salon.
So once you have chosen the top platinum blonde hair dye for your hair, meticulously read the instructions before applying any product.
More importantly, make sure your platinum blonde hair color stays on longer and looks healthy. Invest in color-safe after-care products formulated for blonde hair and anti-brass hair care items.
So if you’re ready to wow others with vibrant and gorgeous hair, find the top boxed hair dye platinum blonde!