This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Are you looking for the best water based primers?
I think you would agree having a good makeup primer is important if you want to look your best. This is especially true if you’re looking to wear makeup every day.
But it’s easy to get caught with a lot of makeup trends. Or with the many makeup products.
So at some point, it can get really confusing as to which makeup product to choose.
The best water based primers
If you want to look your best, you can use this facial product.
Primers prepare your skin, creating an extra layer between your skin and any makeup you may put on.
Sure, you can skip this step if you prefer. But if you want your foundation and makeup to stay on your skin longer, then it helps to wear a primer.
Your foundation will look much smoother, create a flawless look on your skin.
Wearing a primer can also keep your makeup intact, preventing it from moving around or melting on your face.
Here’s a simple rule of thumb when it comes to choosing your makeup and primer: use the same type across the board.
Therefore, if you’re using a water primer, you should also use a water-based foundation.
The same goes with silicone-based products; a silicone-based primer goes with a silicone-based foundation and makeup.
So going back to our pointers on what type of primer to choose.
Go for silicone-based primers to fill wrinkles and fine lines on your face. But avoid them if you are prone to acne breakouts; these primers can clog the pores.
On the other hand, a water based makeup primer feels lightweight and can be ideal for virtually all skin types, including acne-prone and oily skin.
Check out these 12 water based primers
1. Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer
- Got a beauty hangover? Our replenishing face primer is your instant cure. It hydrates, smoothes and brightens skin for a dewy, healthy looking finish.
- When long days of work and late nights of play give you abeauty hangover, this is your instant cure. Hangover is a revolutionary makeupprimer infused with coconut water, probiotics and skin revivers that worktogether to boost skin’s radiance, promote elasticity and help hydrate whilelocking down makeup for fresher, longer and more flawless wear.
- We harnessed the science of hydration to create a creamy,penetrating primer that acts like an energy drink for the skin by replenishingmoisture levels. It can be worn alone for a dewy, healthy looking finish orunder bronzers, foundations and powders to create the perfect canvas.
Had a wild night?
Is your skin taking the heat from this beauty hangover?
Don’t stress out. Your skin doesn’t have to take the heat. This water primer will take care of you.
Check out Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer.
Rich in coconut water, this awesome face primer will moisturize your pores, making your skin feel pillow-soft again.
Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer is an instant cure for a beauty hangover. It hydrates, brightens, and smoothens your skin, giving it a healthy-looking glow.
This awesome primer also promotes your skin’s elasticity and replenish its moisture levels.
Gone are the days when late nights of work or play can give you skin issues. With this revolutionary product, you can boost your skin’s radiance.
2. MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Primer
- A hydrating, makeup-gripping primer formulated with hemp-derived cannabis seed extract and blue agave extract for all-day hydration and hold
- Hemp-Derived Cannabis Seed Extract: Hydrates and smooths the look of skin, while providing antioxidant benefits
- Blue Agave Extract: Forms an invisible layer to grip makeup, smooth the look of texture, and seal in moisture
Here’s a wonderful water primer. It doesn’t contain silicone and is oil-free.
Check out MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Primer.
Wondering what to expect from this water based foundation primer?
It’s a great hydrating base that provides long-lasting results. While it’s ideal for oily skin, MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Primer is good for all skin types.
You can use this fantastic product every day, as part of your daily moisturizer routine.
If you’re looking to have a soft base for your foundation or makeup, MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Primer is a great water-based facial product to use.
Here are its other wonderful features.
MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Primer contains hemp-derived cannabis seed extract. And for all-day hydration, check out its blue agave extract.
These two components can give your skin a smoother, more radiant look. You also get antioxidant benefits out of these two ingredients.
And for more hydrating effect, MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Primer contains aloe water and prickly pear cactus extract. These additional components can soothe your skin.
3. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water
- It leaves skin instantly hydrated
- It absorbs quickly
- It worked well with their skin tone.
Looking for great water based makeup primer that can instantly hydrate your skin?
Check out Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water. It absorbs quickly, working well with your skin tone.
Wondering what to expect from this awesome product?
This water primer sets your skin, prepping it for your foundation or makeup. In the process, it paves the way for a seamless application.
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water contains electrolytes, which boosts your skin’s radiance. As a result, it leaves your skin ultra-soft with its lasting hydration.
Tired of having dry skin?
Give yourself a favor and try this wonderful product.
Moisturize your skin with Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water.
4. Becca Backlight Priming Filter Face Primer
- A makeup primer to help blur imperfections and impart a radiant glow
- Prevents fine lines and wrinkles
- While the vItamin e-enriched formula minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Here’s one to get glowing, beautiful skin.
If you crave radiant skin that glows from within, you’ll love Becca Backlight Priming Filter Face Primer.
This wonderful water based makeup primer contains special filtering luminescent pearls. It effectively blurs the imperfections on your skin, giving you a healthy-looking glow.
Becca Backlight Priming Filter Face Primer is also great at concealing wrinkles and other facial fine lines.
5. Laura Mercier Pure Canvas Illuminating Primer
Give your skin a luminous look. With this illuminating primer, you get a sheer glow without the grease.
Introducing Laura Mercier Pure Canvas Illuminating Primer. It contains a silicone-free formula that minimizes the appearance of wrinkles, pores, and other imperfections on your skin.
Here are some of the great features of this water based makeup primer.
Laura Mercier Pure Canvas Illuminating Primer contains olive extract, squalene, and jojoba oil. It replenishes the lost moisture of your skin. As a result, your skin will feel soft and fresh all day long.
It’s also super easy to apply. For best results, apply Laura Mercier Pure Canvas Illuminating Primer after your skincare routine. Then follow it up with your makeup or foundation.
6. Lorac I’m So Sensitive Soothing Face Primer
- Oil, silicone, paraben and fragrance free formula
- Promotes long-lasting makeup wear
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive, oily, and acne-prone skin
Are you looking for a gentle primer that soothes your skin?
Lorac I’m So Sensitive Soothing Face Primer is one of the best water based primers today.
With its skin-perfecting ingredients, you can trust it to soothe and smoothen your skin.
Wondering what are its secrets?
Lorac I’m So Sensitive Soothing Face Primer contains vitamins, plant extracts, and antioxidants that leave your skin feeling silky soft and smooth.
It’s also super-hydrating. So it’s perfect for dry skin. You’ll feel extra special after you use it.
And did you know Lorac I’m So Sensitive Soothing Face Primer doesn’t contain oil, paraben, fragrance, or silicone?
It’s a wonderful product that’s gentle on your skin, giving it a nourishing effect that can extend your makeup’s longevity.
7. Pixi by Petra Flawless & Poreless Primer
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
Are you looking for a hypoallergenic primer that stays on your skin longer?
Get Pixi by Petra Flawless & Poreless Primer. It minimizes pores instantly without the shine, giving your skin a smooth and velvety finish.
Did you know this water primer is cruelty-free?
Never tested on animals and is also paraben-free.
Even if you only use a tiny amount, Pixi by Petra Flawless & Poreless Primer gives impressive results. It provides you a flawless finish that looks like it’s airbrushed.
Here are some of the features of this water primer.
Pixi by Petra Flawless & Poreless Primer contains salicylic acid, which can effectively minimize the appearance of pores.
You also get skin-smoothing silica for improved skin, making it ideal for flawless makeup application.
Prime your face with this hydrating facial product.
8. Becca Cosmetics Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
- A targeted oil-control primer that perfects and minimizes pores for mattified skin that lasts up to 12 hours
- This formula specifically targets oil-prone areas and acts as liquid blotting paper to leave your skin fresh and matte all day
- Feel free to use throughout the day to touch up areas of concern
Are you looking for water based primers that target oil-prone areas on your skin?
Check out this wonderful product. It acts like a blotting paper, leaving your skin looking fresh and soft. It also gives your skin a matte finish.
Introducing Becca Cosmetics Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector.
Wondering what to expect from this water primer?
Becca Cosmetics Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector tones down the shine on your face.
This mattifying primer also delivers a pore-blurring effect. Plus, it can effectively reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines on your skin.
Becca Cosmetics Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector can last up to 12 hours. With its long-lasting effect, your makeup won’t budge or smudge.
9. Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti Aging Primer
This one is no ordinary primer. In fact, it’s an understatement to refer it as such.
If you’re serious about your skincare, here’s a wonderful primer that delivers splendid results.
Check out Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti Aging Primer. It’s everything you hope for in a water based makeup primer.
Here’s why it’s the best water based face primer.
Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti Aging Primer is rich in antioxidants and keeps your skin moisturized all day. You can also benefit from its anti-aging benefits.
This fantastic primer also contains hyaluronic acid and pearl pigments. Plus, it has purslane, which is a key active ingredient that fights free radicals and protects your skin from damage.
Say good-bye to wrinkles, enlarged pores, and other imperfections on your skin.
With Dr. Barbara Sturm Anti Aging Primer, you get younger-looking, glowing skin.
10. Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfector
- This beauty product is 100% original.
When it comes to water based primers, here’s a crowd-pleaser.
Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfector is a highly popular primer. Celebrity makeup artists and beauty gurus love it.
It’s a great treatment for uneven skin tone, wrinkles and blemishes, and enlarged pores. Perfect for all skin types too.
Here’s what to expect from Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfector.
If you want flawless, smooth skin, you will love this water primer.
It’s a radiance-inducing facial product that gives your skin a healthy-looking glow.
Plus, Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfector feels light and airy.
If you’re tired of the imperfections on your face, let this awesome primer do its magic. It can effectively conceal them.
11. Nyx Professional Makeup Hydra Touch Primer
- NUTRIENT-PACKED PRIMER: Moisturize and smooth your complexion with our Hydra Touch Primer! This water-based primer formula creates a smooth, glowing canvas for flawless coverage while smoothing & refreshing your skin.
- SKIN-LOVING INGREDIENTS: Enriched with skin-loving chamomile, ginseng, & licorice root extracts + hydrating Tremella mushroom & antioxidant boosting Centella extract, this nutritious primer formula leaves skin feeling softer with a luminous finish.
- FACE FROM FOUNDATION TO FINISH: Complete your makeup look with our full line of NYX Professional Makeup face products to aid in color-correction & coverage from blush, bronzer, foundations & contouring concealer to palettes powders & setting sprays.
Looking for a lightweight primer with a great moisturizing effect?
You can’t go wrong with Nyx Professional Makeup Hydra Touch Primer. It leaves a healthy-looking glow without the grease or oily shine.
Wondering what to expect from this water primer?
Nyx Professional Makeup Hydra Touch Primer is packed with nutrients that create smoother, glowing skin.
You will also love its nourishing blend of vitamins and minerals. This wonderful primer contains ginseng, licorice root extracts, and chamomile to give you a softer and smoother feeling.
Nyx Professional Makeup Hydra Touch Primer is the perfect primer that helps your face transition from foundation to finish.
12. Honest Beauty Everything Matte Makeup Setters and Primer
- Matte finish, longer-lasting makeup coverage
- Micronized bamboo powder helps blur imperfections for a more even look
- Oil-free formula helps control shine without over drying skin
Want an oil-free primer that effectively controls the shine?
Then check out Honest Beauty Everything Matte Makeup Setters and Primer.
It’s lightweight and gives a matte finish. Perfect for covering up wrinkles, enlarged pores, and blemishes.
And because it is dermatologist-tested and hypoallergenic, you can count on it to be safe for you.
Silicone-based or water based primers?
Not sure which primer to get or which one suits you?
There are two main types of primers available today.
First, silicone-based primers are great at smoothing out the imperfections on your skin. They can conceal big pores, wrinkles, and facial fine lines.
These primers can also fix uneven skin tone and roughness, giving you a smooth texture. In addition, silicone-based primers glide evenly on your skin, leaving it a velvety soft feel.
Because it delivers a matte effect on your skin, silicone-based primers are also perfect for oily skin.
On the other hand, water based primers are lightweight and feel good on your skin; it feels even more natural than the silicone-based ones.
Water based primers have a hydrating effect. So they are perfect for people with eczema or dry skin.
And because they don’t clog the pores, water based primers are ideal for people who suffer from acne breakouts from time to time. This noncomedogenic variety is also perfect for sensitive skin.
What to expect from water based primers?
Did you know most water based primers don’t contain any silicone components?
This makes water based primers the complete opposite of silicone-based primers, sitting on the other end of the spectrum.
In addition, water based face primers are likely to be free from oil. So they are ideal to use on oily skin.
Why you should go for water based primers?
Silicone-based primers have oil. So if you are prone to acne breakouts, water based face primers are a great pick for you. They won’t clog your pores, unlike oil-based facial products.
However, it’s fair to say not all silicone-based products can trigger acne breakouts or bad for oily skin. It’s just that water based face primers are generally great for these skin types.
So if you’re not prone to acne or don’t mind the extra shine on your face, silicone-based primers are good. They can also give you a dewy, radiant finish.
You can go for any type of primer you want. Just bear in mind the downsides to each primer variety.
Having said that, in this article, I have listed some of the best water based primers for 2020.
What is your favorite water based primer?
You may also like these primer reviews: