This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
The we heart this Magnificent 7 list
There is one drugstore item that even the most elitist of makeup snobs purchase regularly. In fact, as is the case with this makeup snob right here, some may actually prefer drugstore brands (saving their hard-earned beauty dollars for more colorful items not deemed as staples). That item? Mascara, of course. Not only a necessity, but arguably the item purchased the most regularly and used the quickest.
Sadly, my staple mascara for the last 15+ years is a hazy memory at this point (Max Factor Stretch Mascara, sniff!) So, it was a perfect time to ask the allustrious wht team their opinion and produce another list. We give you…The Magnificent 7 Drugstore Mascaras!
Much like our Mag 7 Lip Balm list there were three very distinct winners, with the four remaining places being as varied as imaginable. There is one thing distinctly true to all of the results, our team take their mascara VERY seriously.
7. CoverGirl Exact EyeLights Mascara $8.49 – The only eye color specific mascara on the list, Cori loves it for how it makes her eyes pop. She also likes “that it doesn’t clump and it makes my lashes look really long”. And with choices like black gold for hazel eyes, black pearl for brown and black ruby for green – everyone gets a chance to have long lashes and dazzling peepers!
6. Maybelline The Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara $5.99 – Even though the gratuitous use of an apostrophe bothers her, Alyssa can not deny the big ol’ lashes that Colossal quickly gives. “It has a thick bristled brush and its formula glides on smoothly without major clumps. It also comes off easily with soap and water, which is perfect for ladies like me who tend to forget to use eye makeup remover.”
5. Maybelline Volum’ Express The Falsies Washable Mascara $7.99 – There’s that apostrophe again! Such a long name, but no room for one little “e”. That aside, I’m have very impressed with Falsies. And other lovers of Fiberwig will be too (which pretty much means, everyone on the wht team!) Its got the same drama building fibers and is successful in creating both volume and length. Plus, I love the purple tube and I think the Spoon shaped wand works really well to reach every lash.
4. Almay One Coat Nourishing Waterproof Thickening Mascara $5.99 – Tyna is a contact lens wearer who can’t wear anything but waterproof mascara (Plus, I’ve watched – she’s also an eye rubber!) True to it’s name, she says it really does take only one coat. And says that “it never flakes or smudges on me, and my lashes feel soft, not brittle like they do with a lot of waterproof mascaras”.
3. Maybelline Full ‘N Soft Mascara, Very Black $6.59 – Maybelline makes it 3rd appearance on the list (more than any other brand!) with this cuddly, work horse mascara that separates the lashes really well and it is a fabulous lengthener. Katie reports “You don’t get night-on-the-town drama or anything but it is a great everyday mascara. Especially for girls like me who can’t even go to the gym without a swipe of mascara and a layer of tinted moisturizer.”
2. L’Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara $8.95 – There are at least four variations in the Voluminous collection, what L’Oreal calls their #1 volumizing mascara, but this newest addition got the most votes from our team. Dana says that she’s obsessed with it. “It separates my tangled web of lashes, gives them glorious volume and leaves them the inkiest black ever. LOVE. IT.”
So, which Drugstore mascara made the number #1 position on our list?
1. CoverGirl LashBlast Fusion Mascara $8.99 – CoverGirl takes the coveted #1 spot! LashBlast comes in four formulas (with three of them having waterproof versions as well). Here’s a breakdown of which color tubes do what: yellow; lengthening, pink; adds shimmer, orange; volume. But it’s the purple tube, their newest addition, that got the highest votes as it seems to do a little of everything (sans shimmer). Like The Falsies, this is a fiber mascara, which equals major drama. It also has a plastic bristle brush, which really helps to get into to your lashes and coat every one. Tiffany says she always has a tube of this in her makeup stash. “I love using this when I go out at night because I can layer it with 3 or 4 coats without it clumping and it gives me incredibly thick gorgeous lashes”.
How about it readers? Did the team overlook your favorite or do you agree with their picks? Let us know!