This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
An excuse to eat pizza in the morning? Yes, please. Pairing together two universally beloved things – pizza and brunch – can obviously only result in something even more amazing!
Chorizo usually takes a back seat to breakfast meat numero uno (bacon) and the runner-up (sausage), but if you haven’t been transformed back into a real human with the perfect chorizo breakfast burrito after a long night, you’re just going to have to trust me on this. Chorizo holds its own at the breakfast table. I got my hands on this gorgeous fresh green chorizo, but any chorizo (or even soyrizo!) with the casing removed will work beautifully on this pizza.
Because I am lazy/efficient I like to use the pre-made dough from Trader Joe’s. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no shame in that game. Bleary-eyed and half-awake is no time to be slaving over a homemade ball of pizza dough. I’m a big fan of the garlic and herb; it adds a little extra zing to the pizza. Plain will be just fine though too. I had to take a pic of that stretched out dough because that is the first time ever that I managed to more-or-less evenly stretch one into a circle. Don’t beat yourself up if your pizza looks a little deformed – it will still be delicious, I promise.
Cracking eggs onto the pizza can be a little tricky. Make sure to pour each one away from the edge because they can run unpredictably. Sadly, this can also cause the yolks to break. It will still taste great but will rob you of that glorious runny yolk. Luckily for me, I so happened to be cooking for a couple of people who are squeamish about runny eggs so it all worked out.
Your pizza will be done when the eggs have set, but cook time can also vary depending on the thickness of your dough, so start keeping an eye on it around 11 minutes. Those who have a heat-loving palate won’t be disappointed with a few dashes of hot sauce on top. Bonus brunch points for washing everything down with a couple mimosas!
Chorizo Breakfast Pizza recipe
- 8 oz chorizo, casings removed
- 16 oz pizza dough
- 8 oz burrata (2 balls)
- 3 stalks of green onions
- 1/4 c shredded sharp white cheddar
- 3 eggs
- salt & pepper
- flour for dusting
- hot sauce (optional)
(Preheat the oven to 475°)
1. Cook chorizo in a large skillet, breaking up large chunks with a spatula. Once thoroughly cooked, drain the fat and transfer the chorizo to a bowl.
2. Chop the burrata into 1 inch pieces, green onions into 1/4 inch slices, and grate the white cheddar. Set aside.
3. Flour your pizza pan or baking sheet and stretch your pizza dough out to fit accordingly. Make it as thin as you can get away with – at least less than 1/2 inch – because it will have to sync up with the cook time for the eggs.
4. Spread the chunks of burrata and any of its leftover filling over the dough. This helps create a base of moisture in place of a sauce.
5. Evenly sprinkle the chorizo and green onions over the dough.
6. One at a time, crack the eggs into a small bowl and gently pour onto the pizza. They will run a bit, so be careful not to put them too close to the edge.
7. Grind a pinch of salt and black pepper over the top of the eggs, then top with the grated white cheddar.
8. Bake for approximately 11 minutes, or until the egg whites have set but the yolks are still runny.
we heartsters – pizza for breakfast, are you in?