This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Fall into Sephora’s COLOR VISION for the season’s hottest hues
Not all reds are created equal. Were the bright, true reds we looked at earlier in the week a bit too vivid for you? Today we’re toning down the brightness, but turning up the intensity with two of the most opaque, dark reds around.
I am a lover of all things Hourglass, and Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon ($28) is no exception. From the always beautiful bronze metallic packaging to the rich blue-based blood red shade, this lipstick is a showstopper.
3 things to know about Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick:
1. Wow, is this opaque coverage! I’m talking lush, breathtaking pigment. The kind of pigment I hope for with all lipstick, but rarely find.
2. Icon goes on creamy and dries to a comfortable matte, thanks to a whole slew of vitamins and fruit extracts. Just don’t over apply it; it will crack if you layer to much, but more importantly – you don’t need to.
3. This lasts a LONG time. They say it will last 12 to 14 hours (it’s funny to me though, who’d want to wear lipstick that long?) I got a solid eight hours of wear, which included two meals and an aqua aerobics class and it looked as good at hour seven as it did at hour one. By hour eight, I felt pretty dry so I added balm on top. I got another 4 hours, but it didn’t have the same rich coverage anymore.
Bonus: it’s scentless and has a flexible, flattened doe foot applicator that really hugs your lips while using it.
Time for a TIP: With opaque, long wearing products like these two, exfoliate your lips a few hours before you apply. A bit of prep will assure you’ve got a smooth canvas to work with. There are great lip scrubs on the market, but DIY girls can make their own with sugar in a base of just about anything (Vaseline, honey, and cocoa butter all work great).
From the makeup masters we have Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in #9 ($24), a dark brick red that’s got a trifecta of traits: a crazy amount of pigment, color that doesn’t budge AND a super glossy finish.
3 things to know about Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge:
1. This is a 2-step application; one side is a full coverage matte lip color with a doe foot applicator, the other side is a clear topcoat with a brush that locks in color and adds tons of shine and moisture.
2. Aqua Rouge is a beauty meets science triumph. “High molecular weight polymers” meet oils that impart moisture then vaporize to make for a waterproof lip color that once dry, it’s not going ANYWHERE. You have to you physically remove it. Even when the top coat wears away, the color is still there (just add more to shine it up again).
3. If it’s good enough for Madonna , it’s good enough for you. The #8 shade of Aqua Rouge was created specifically for her latest world tour!
we heartsters, what kind of red do you go for; dark, bright, opaque, glossy? Meet us in the comments to talk all things crimson!
Disclosure: This review includes products that were provided by the manufacturer/PR firm for our consideration. It also may contain an affiliate link, a link that gives us a small commission if you purchase the item. For more info, or any questions, please see our disclosure policy.