This easy soup brings cool satisfaction ~ and maybe love!
In summer, cooking anything warm is far from your mind. So, it’s the perfect time to share with you the recipe that made me fall in love with my husband! He can make pretty much anything, but this cold veggie soup is his all-time warm weather crowd pleaser, Green Monday approved and the dish that won me over.
My better half is a great cook – he just knows what to throw together to get a perfectly balanced dish. I have to follow a recipe to the T to get something halfway decent tasting and then usually still find a way to” burn the water”! With Greg as chef, many balmy nights have been spent on our deck with friends or just the two of us lazily passing the time with laughs, good music and great summer food.
So, with the best tasting tomatoes in season right now, I give you Greg’s super simple gazpacho. There is a good bit of chopping, but that’s the most effort you’ll need – and you could always use a food processor or other gadget.
Greg’s Cool and Easy Gazpacho
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1 piece pimento, diced
- ½ large onion, diced
- 3 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- Vinaigrette (see below)
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream, avocadoand croutons to garnish (optional)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Dash of cumin
1. Combine cucumber, green pepper, pimento, onion, parsley, basil and garlic
2. Add vinaigrette
3. Add tomatoes to soup, then tomato juice, stir well
4. Season with salt and pepper
5. Cover and chill in a non-metal bowl for about 2 hours
6. Portion into bowls and garnish with sour cream, avocado and/or croutons
1. In a bowl, whisk all ingredients together and refrigerate
This recipe makes the perfect amount for a summer party of six and everyone that’s ever tasted it claims it’s the best gazpacho they’ve ever tasted.
So if you’re in the mood for a refreshing summer dish, give Greg’s Gazpacho recipe a try and let me know if it has you falling in love too!
Latest posts by Mel
- InviCible Scars Advanced Scar Treatment Review - February 14, 2013
- MAC Fabulousness: Primped Out Perfectly Plush Essential Brush Kit – review, photos & swatches - November 28, 2012
- Remington Ultimate Stylist Tool Flat Iron and Curling Iron Review - October 19, 2012