This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Julie Hewett is an artist, but you won’t see her work hanging in a museum. You will, however, see it on movie screens with the faces of many of today’s leading ladies as her canvas. I remember first hearing of Julie Hewett back in 2001 when a little movie called Pearl Harbor came out. I was so completely in love with the makeup and vintage red lips from that movie that I became obsessed with red lipstick (an obsession that continues today). That same year, inspired by the need for wearable, old-fashioned red lipstick using modern ingredients, Julie Hewett launched her own cosmetic line, Julie Hewett Los Angeles, so now you don’t have to be Kate Beckinsale or Jennifer Garner to look glamorous.
With 20 years of experience as a professional makeup artist, working with such famous faces as Nicole Kidman and Liv Tyler, Julie Hewett came up with a line that is for every woman. From a perfect red lip to a more naturally polished look, the line has it all. Julie’s motto is: “In a busy world, makeup application should be simple.” Heeding her own motto, many of the cosmetics and products offered by Julie Hewett are multi-purpose, easily applied with the fingertips, and portable. Practicing beauty without cruelty (products are tested on movie stars, not animals) and using only the finest of ingredients and essential oils, Julie Hewett Los Angeles has set the bar for other cosmetic companies. One of the most innovative ingredients used by the line is camellia oil, an active ingredient that closely resembles the natural oils produced by skin, and is fantastic for those of us with very sensitive or allergy-prone skin. Her Camellia balm has achieved cult-status and has been voted one of the 7 best lip balms by W Magazine.
Thanks to the generosity of the folks at Julie Hewett Los Angeles, we received an array of their best sellers to try (which our review team will be chiming in about in the comments).
I was a very happy girl to have received the brand new Poppy palette! I love how simple and chic the packaging is. It’s black with a silver logo, contains 4 large pans of gorgeous product, and quite possibly the largest mirror I’ve ever seen in a palette. I’m used to the teensy mirrors most palettes contain that look like you’re peering through a fun house mirror and only let you see one feature at a time. This mirror is generous and lets you see your entire face. I really believe the most important tool in makeup application is a good mirror and Julie Hewett delivered. To my delight, many of the items in the Poppy palette are multi-purpose:
- Flora is great as a base shadow and compliments any shade of eye shadow you pair it with, but I found that it helped set the Jami cheekie very nicely and was a very subtle highlighter.
- Clementine is a bright peachy-orange eye shadow, but it’s also good for cheeks. As I am very pale, I prefer it as a powder blush and it gave a lovely pop of color that’s gorgeous for Spring and Summer.
- The Mimi lip lush is a buttery and very sheer pink gloss that looks great on its own and pairs with Jami very nicely.
- The Jami cheekie is for both lips and cheeks and gives a lovely pop of nude rose color. Also, thanks to the fact that it contains camellia oil instead of mineral oil, it is perfect for those of us with sensitive or acne-prone skin. For those of you who fear cream blushes because you’re afraid of a breakout, this is the blush for you.
I will say that there was one downside to receiving the Poppy palette: it has now created an uncontrollable addiction to trying other Julie Hewett Los Angeles products. I am about to start a 12-step program. I fell in love with the Jami cheekie so much that I had to have one in Rosie (a sheer, pinky-red that gives the best natural flush EVER) and a lipstick in Film Noir (a sheer berry in retro gold bullet packaging that is a must for any fair-skinned, dark-haired gal). When I received my order, it contained a deluxe sample sized cheekie in Bette, a stunning peachy/pink with golden shimmer. Now I desperately need the Peachie cheekie and have vivid dreams about the 6-shade Original Noir Collection, which contains 6 flattering shades of red lipstick and helped launch the Hewett line. I can’t be stopped. I’m kinda like the Terminator in that way…
Review Team: Anybody else out there find Julie Hewett Los Angeles completely addictive? Please tell us about the product you received.
- Pat McGrath Lust: Gloss – The Only Lip Gloss You’ll Ever Need - July 9, 2019
- CoTZ Pure Botanicals & Minerals – Mineral Sunscreen Review - May 23, 2019
- Who Wants Cake? (Answer: We ALL Want Cake!) - April 4, 2019