This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
We take Big Bounce eye shadows and Zoom Lash for a test flight.
Word about MAC Flighty, in particular the Big Bounce eye shadows, hit last week. And the word was, well; mixed to say the least. Some were in love, some were far from impressed. I took a week to play and see exactly what we were dealing with. As with any legendary performer, did we have a ‘Dream On’ on our hands or a “Dude Looks Like a Lady”? A ‘Lucky Star’ or a ‘True Blue’? A ‘Private Idaho’ or (god forbid) a ‘Love Shack’?
The Flighty limited edition collection (on sale now through June 2011) contains four Zoom Lash mascaras and 16 Big Bounce eye shadows. These shadows are unlike anything I’ve used before; a cross between a liquid and a cream with a fluffy, jello meets whipped cream consistency. And because they are unlike anything I’ve ever used, I found that they can’t be treated as anything I’ve ever used either.
I’ve come up with a do and don’t list to get the most from Big Bounce…
1. Use a flat brush to apply. Lay or pat the color on your eye (rather than sweep), let it dry, and leave it alone (see #2 in the don’t list).
2. On their own, I wasn’t very impressed. But if you layer over them with powder shadow they add sparkling base to your shadows and increase wear time. I got eight hours with the green/blue look shown below with no creasing – which I WAS impressed with!
1. If you go into these thinking you’ll be able to wear them as a sheer wash of color, you’ll be very disappointed. I had a hard time getting even coverage on my eyes. Despite beautiful swatches on my arm (a flat surface that doesn’t move) on my eyes (a contoured area constantly moving) it looked splotchy.
2. Try to blend them. They. Just. Won’t. Blend. See my crease in the Rich, Sweet solo photo below. If you try, you just end up pushing the product around your lid.
3. Use your fingers. It’s very tempting to swipe these on with a fingertip, as you would a cream shadow. Big Bounce refuses to swipe (see #1 on the do list) and revolts by disappearing!
4. Grab these if you are short on time. You’ll be adding an extra step to your look (primer, Big Bounce, shadow). I’d also recommend a few test runs before you try these for a night out. I got progressively more comfortable with each use, and more and more happy with the results.
Here’s a closer look at the shades we got to review…
But Flighty is not Big Bounce alone. There are also four limited edition Zoom Lash Mascaras (join existing, permanent black and brown versions). I got to try Green is Green, a pure and bright jade green.
My favorite part of the mascara is the color. What you see on the wand is what you see on your lashes, and I loved it for that. The formula is creamy (no crunchy lashes here) and there was no smudging. But I felt like there was way too much mascara on the wand (especially after having just tested the Studio Fix Lash released in Fashionflower, with it’s satisfying clean swiper). I think this mascara will find it’s biggest fans amongst those who love big, volumized lashes. Me personally? I prefer more singular, long lashes to the thickness that this gave.
Overall, I can see why Big Bounce has gotten a bad rap. These certainly aren’t easy by any stretch. But once you spend some time with them, learn their limitations and how to work with them rather then against them – I actually ended up enjoying them. I think MAC would have been better off packaging them in a tube with a wand and calling them colored primers, because layered is were their strength really lies.
They might not be a ‘Little Deuce Coupe’, but they certainly aren’t a ‘Kokomo’!
Here’s the whole Flighty line up…
ZOOM COLOURED MASCARA
High Esteem – Mid-tone grey with silver pearl
Blue Charge – Deep navy blue
Plum Reserve – Light violet purple
Green is Green – Jade green
$14.00 U.S./$17.00 CDN
BIG BOUNCE SHADOW
The Cool Elite – White with silver pearl
Good Fortune – Soft pink yellow with pink and silver pearl
Reward Yourself – Bright peach coral with gold pearl
Impeccably Rich – Light cream with gold pearl
Sizzlin’ Diva – Copper with gold pearl
Trophy – Soft peach with pearl
Free As Air – Sky blue with silver pearl
Spread the Wealth – Dirty olive with gold pearl
Extra Charged – Bright green with multicolour pearl
Up The Ante! – Rich copper with gold and silver pearl
Rich Thrills – Dirty silver with multicolour pearl
Luxury Touch – Violet with gold pearl
Count Your Assets – Rich blue purple with multicolour pearl
My Next Indulgence – Forest green with blue and gold pearl
Rich Sweet -Chocolate gold with gold pearl
Black Diamond – Black with gold pearl
$16.50 U.S./$20.00 CDN
242 Shader brush
$24.50 U.S./$29.50 CDN
How about it readers, will you be taking flight with anything from Flighty?
Disclosure: This review includes products that were provided by the manufacturer/PR firm for our consideration. For more info, or any questions, please see our disclosure policy.