This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
We slip into the “Little Black Dress” of eye liners
I’m willing to bet that if any of you ladies reading this were to go to your closet right this minute, you would probably find a little black dress hanging inside. Am I right? No, I’m not psychic (If I were, I’d have played and won the lottery a dozen times over by now and would be writing this from the comfort of my own private island), but a basic black dress is a staple in any girl’s wardrobe. It’s classic and timeless and suitable for any occasion.
Montreal-based Noir Cosmetics was conceived using this same principle: Black is universally flattering and always in fashion. Created by Caroline Cohen, the line was initially based around black eyeliner. That’s right, ONLY black.
You may wonder at a brand that only offers black eyeliner, but as the black liner obsessed among us knows, there is one (a true deep black, matte black, shiny glittery black, blue/black, etc) for every occasion.
The fine folks at Noir Cosmetics sent the wht review team a few of their eyeliners in various formulations and all, of course, in shades of black.
The team put these LBD’s of liners to the test and will be along in the comments to leave their thoughts on:
• Black Mania Kohl Eyeliner Crayon $15 – a super intense black hue in a classic pencil package, the natural wax based formula promises rich pigment and a smooth application.
• Lifeline Liquid Eyeliner in True Black $18 – this glam liquid liner is applied with a fine brush and inspired by classic Hollywood beauty (think dark, dramatic, cat eyes). It’s a matte black liner with a quick drying, long-lasting formula.
• Glimmer Liquid Eyeliner in Starry Night $18 – here’s your “big evening out” liner! This sparkling black liquid liner has a hint of silver shimmer, a no-fade formula and a fine brush applicator for precision lining.
• Ultra Rich Eye Pencil in Black $16 – a chubby kohl pencil that’s “ultra versatile” – the large, rounded tip can handle fine lines and subtle smudges.
• Gel Eyeliner Pot in Royal Black $16 – I was the happy recipient of this in Royal Black. This liner is a deep, inky black. I believe my husband dubbed it a “scared squid shade”. (That paints a lovely mental picture, doesn’t it?) In any case, it’s a true black.
I’ve used gel liners before in black and have found most to be slightly muted, but not Noir, it’s the deepest shade of black liner I’ve ever seen.
This eyeliner goes on very smooth and a little goes a long way; this is a dark and dramatic product. My advice on this liner is to prep your eye area with primer before applying this. I would say not using a primer really isn’t an option here. Despite the claim that this is long-lasting, I only got maybe an hour without primer before I looked like a member of Fight Club. With the primer, I got two hours of wear before signs of smudging began.
While this gel may be for “those who dare,” I attempted a more demure look where I applied the finest line into my lash line and smudged it out. This is probably the best application for oily lids.
I would term this a “high maintenance” liner for me. It required constant checking for smearing and traveling. Because of this issue, I’m giving this gel liner a 3 out of 5 stars. It’s possible that those of you with less oily lids may have better luck with this product than I did, so keep that in mind.
Looking for more? Have no fear; the Noir Cosmetics line includes additional products like mascara, brow definers and gels, and even a smoky eye shadow palette to fulfill all of your dramatic eye needs.
we heartsters, like Noir do you always “bet it all on black”? Do you wear black and only black eyeliner? And Review Team, what did you think of the eyeliner you received? Share your eye liner thoughts in the comments!
Disclosure: This review includes products that were provided by the manufacturer/PR firm for our consideration. For more info, or any questions, please see our disclosure policy.
- Pat McGrath Lust: Gloss – The Only Lip Gloss You’ll Ever Need - July 9, 2019
- CoTZ Pure Botanicals & Minerals – Mineral Sunscreen Review - May 23, 2019
- Who Wants Cake? (Answer: We ALL Want Cake!) - April 4, 2019