Found: Drugstore skincare worthy of a Hollywood starlet’s vanity
After reading about the Nuance Salma Hayek beauty blogger party that we heart this recently hosted, I was curious about the line. Created by one of the world’s most stunning actresses, affordable, and available at any CVS… on paper, Nuance sounds like a winner. But I’m a skeptic, so I wondered, would Nuance be just another mediocre line with the name of a beautiful celebrity attached to it, or would it be the real deal?
Now that I’ve tested a range of Nuance Salma Hayek products, I know the answer: Nuance is a skincare revolution, a treasure trove of high-quality treatments that won’t break the bank. Available exclusively at CVS at such reasonable prices, your only problem is going to be selecting which products are right for you.
Before I tested Nuance, my search for the perfect drugstore skincare line had been filled with disappointment. I’d found a few contenders, but they always let me down in some crucial way: shoddy packaging that fell apart, lackluster results, or – worst of all – an overabundance of cheap-smelling fragrance that seemed designed to make the products smell nicer than they were. Nuance is not guilty of a single one of these offenses. The products are so similar to those of extremely high-end lines, it’s as if Nuance didn’t cut a single corner.
Salma was inspired by her grandmother, an esthetician who dedicated her life to skin care, to create a line that combines natural and age-old Native American and Mayan ingredients into potent skincare cocktails. Nuance products contain fruit extracts and essential oils, which address issues like aging, loss of hydration, and uneven tone and texture.
The most powerful, unique ingredient in most Nuance skincare products is Tepezcohuite, which comes from a tree native to Brazil and southern areas of Mexico, and is prized for its antioxidant properties and ability to rejuvenate the skin.
I tested four items from the skincare line and loved every one. The black and white packaging is sturdy and modern, looking more like high-end cosmeceuticals than drugstore skincare. The products are either fragrance-free or contain a perfect whisper of scent, a vague hint of citrus that fades immediately after application. The first three products I tested (from her AM/PM line) work well as a 3-step day or night routine:
• AM/PM Anti-Aging Super Eye Treatment ($19.99) – The formula is just creamy enough to moisturize without causing dreaded puffiness or oiliness around the eyes. Contains Tepezcohuite, rice bran oil and vitamins A & E, all of which protect skin and smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Watermelon, apple & lentil fruit extracts help retain skin’s natural moisture and provide antioxidant protection.
• AM/PM Anti-Aging Super Serum Concentrate ($19.99) – A light serum that absorbs instantly, locking moisture in and prepping the skin for moisturizer and/or makeup. Contains tepezcohuite, borage and babassu seed oils, and vitamins A & E to help revitalize, restore moisture and tone skin.
• AM/PM Anti-Aging Super Lotion ($19.99) – Tepezcohuite, algae extract & vitamins A & E create a lightweight, oil-free formula that moisturizes with a matte finish. The lotion is the perfect consistency – creamy but easily absorbed. My makeup went on smoothly and my skin looked radiant and healthy.
I also tested a second, heavy-duty serum:
• Anti-Aging Smooth & Firm Elixir ($19.99) – With its medicinal-looking dropper applicator, this serum is heavier than the AM/PM Anti-Aging Super Serum Concentrate, and takes a little longer to sink in.
The powerhouse ingredient here is oil from the sea buckthorn plant, packed full of essential fatty acids and nutrient-rich vitamins. In fact, sea buckthorn oil was known in ancient Asian civilizations as liquid gold for its ability to soften, smooth and rejuvenate skin. Other active ingredients include O2 complex with ginseng extract, which provides antioxidant protections, and vitamins A, C & E, which condition skin.
• Extensive line of products offers something for every skin type
• High quality products at drugstore prices
• All products are dermatologist tested, non-irritating, not tested on animals, and paraben free
• Can be found at any CVS or online at cvs.com
• Products do not contain SPF, so be sure to add protection for daytime
we heartsters – is your skin glowing like Salma’s thanks to the Nuance line?
Melissa loves road trips, bargain shopping, drive-in movies, lip gloss and rock ‘n’ roll. She lives in Baltimore with her precious pup Zeus.
Disclosure: This review includes products that were provided by the manufacturer/PR firm for our consideration. For more info, or any questions, please see our disclosure policy.
skin tone: NC20
skin type: dry to normal
favorite beauty product: skincare