This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Summer might be winding down, but it does not mean we can’t savor the last weeks of sunshine in the most fashionable way. That’s where this sunglasses holder DIY comes in (one of our Easy DIY Projects). After all, I like to think of sunglasses as a daily must; they make everything from driving to groggy Monday mornings 10 times easier. It doesn’t hurt that they protect our eyes from the sun’s harsh rays, too.
But if you’re anything like me, you have a habit of misplacing your sunglasses. This comes with the territory of tossing them on and off throughout the day. Hopefully, with this DIY, we can all keep tabs on our beloved shades… until next summer, at least!
DIY THREAD-WRAPPED SUNGLASSES HOLDER
- Macramé rope
- Embroidery thread *
- Strong jewelry glue
- 5mm end caps (2) **
- Eyeglass holders (2) ***
- Jewelry pliers
*Feel free to use as many colors as you’d like. Alternatively, you can even just use one. It’s up to you!
**Depending on the thickness of your macramé rope, you may need smaller or larger end caps. Double check the thickness of the rope to ensure that you find end caps in a similar size. For this project, the rope was 3mm thick and the caps were 5mm.
*** As for the eyeglass holders? You can find these in the jewelry section of most craft stores.
1. Cut a 30-inch strand of rope. A little more or less is totally fine. Make sure frayed ends are trimmed off.
2. Glue an end cap to each end of the rope.
3. Tie a strand of embroidery thread around the rope. The knot should be tripled and tied very tightly.
4. Tightly wrap the embroidery thread around the rope.
5. Continue wrapping until you are ready to move onto the next color; you can make each block of color as small or as big as you’d like. Tie a tight triple knot to finish off the color. Don’t trim the excess thread just yet!
6. Repeat with the next color thread.
7. Continue wrapping the entire strand of rope. Double check that all of the knots are tight and in place. Trim away the excess threads.
8. Using the pliers, bend the wire loop at the end of each eyeglass cord holder.
9. Add to the end cap. Bend the loop close.
10. Repeat on the other side of the rope.
Your new accessory is ready to rock n’ roll. Simply slip the elastic loops onto the arms of the sunglasses.
What colors would you use for your sunglasses holder? Let me know in the comments, below!