Are you looking for the best hydroquinone over the counter in 2020?
In this post, I’m going to share with you the top hydroquinone cream over the counter products.
So if you’re looking to improve your skin tone, this article is for you.
What causes the color tone of your skin?
This naturally produced pigment comes from melanocytes.
When your skin is exposed to UV radiation, it produces melanin as a response to prevent damage.
Now, if there is an excess production of melanin, then it results in a darker skin tone. Or in some cases, skin discoloration.
If you want to lighten your skin (or that particular darkened portion), well, this is where hydroquinone can help.
What is hydroquinone?
In a nutshell, hydroquinone blocks the production of melanin in our skin.
It is also a highly effective ingredient that can whiten the skin, fade the dark spots, and even your skin tone.
As a skin-bleaching agent, hydroquinone falls under the category of over-the-counter substances in the U.S. FDA’s official list.
However, the FDA only permits 2-percent hydroquinone content for off-prescription, over-the-counter purposes.
How does hydroquinone work?
It’s quite simple.
Hydroquinone contains enzymes that can change the skin’s appearance.
Some of these enzymes inhibit the production of pigments that cause the darkening of the skin.
So prolonged exposure of the skin to hydroquinone can result in a brighter, lighter complexion.
Today, hydroquinone over the counter creams are among the most popular skin-lightening solutions today.
It addresses skin-related issues like hyperpigmentation, pigmented scars, melasma, dark spots, freckles, acne scars, and more.
Don’t underestimate the potency of hydroquinone.
While hydroquinone remains at the top of the list of skin-lightening products, there has been controversy surrounding the use of this substance for the skin.
The substance is already strong enough to cause visible results.
This is why the FDA limits only 2 percent as the maximum concentration in hydroquinone over the counter products.
Exceeding that threshold and there is a high risk of causing skin damage.
But even at 2-percent hydroquinone concentration, you can see the desired outcome after eight to 12 weeks of use.
To obtain hydroquinone over the counter products with concentrations higher than 2 percent, you will need a medical prescription.
However, the maximum concentration for prescription hydroquinone is usually only set at 4 percent. At this rate, you can see promising results in just four to eight weeks.
Hydroquinone is not a harmful substance.
When properly formulated or used as directed, hydroquinone is not harmful.
There are countless studies that show it to be safe and quite effective at lightening the dark spots and pigments on the skin.
However, long-term use or when in high concentrations, this substance can cause a skin problem known as exogenous ochronosis, which is characterized by the darkening of the skin.
If you notice any amount of darkening taking place on your skin, stop using hydroquinone immediately.
Do hydroquinone over the counter products really work?
Yes, they do.
Scientific research shows hydroquinone over the counter creams work with visible results becoming apparent after eight to 12 weeks of constant use. Customer feedback supports this.
Of course, higher concentrations deliver faster results.
However, you will need to consult your dermatologist before using an increased dosage of hydroquinone.
Here’s another important note to remember.
Hydroquinone over the counter creams should not be used for more than one to three months.
After this period, you may switch to a simple skin-whitening cream; preferably one that contains natural ingredients.
Also, remember that exposure to the sun stimulates melanin production.
So if you want to get the most out of your hydroquinone use, protect your skin. Wear protective clothing and apply sunscreen.
The best hydroquinone over the counter products
Do you need a guide to find over the counter hydroquinone serums and creams that suit your needs?
Here are my nine top picks of the best hydroquinone creams of 2020.
1. Admire My Skin 2% Hydroquinone Dark Spot Corrector
- 2% HYDROQUINONE - Helps brighten and fade dark spots, hyperpigmentation & melasma: The acids gently peel dark spots to reveal brighter skin: This product can be used either once OR twice per day
- OUR PROMISE TO YOU - We promise this OTC product will provide effective results within 4 weeks when used as directed: The directions on the product label says "use once or twice daily"
- CONSIDERED TO BE MORE effective than other hydroquinone products and melasma treatment creams: the directions on the outer box says "use twice daily or as directed by doctor"
Here’s a wonderful hydroquinone over the counter serum, which contains powerful antioxidants that reduce wrinkles and facial fine lines, apart from the dark spots and pigments.
Get younger-looking, smoother skin with Admire My Skin 2% Hydroquinone Dark Spot Corrector.
Wondering what to expect from this hydroquinone over the counter product?
Admire My Skin 2% Hydroquinone Dark Spot Corrector can effectively fade the hyperpigmentation, melasma, and other undesirable dark spots.
It gently peels the blemishes and impurities to reveal a lighter and brighter skin.
What’s its secret?
This fantastic serum contains powerful formulation, consisting of salicylic acid, lactic acid, azelaic acid, and vitamin C.
As a result, it is more effective than most hydroquinone over the counter products and melasma treatment solutions on the market today.
You can use Admire My Skin 2% Hydroquinone Dark Spot Corrector either once or twice a day.
In four weeks, you get the desired results. You will notice the faded dark spots and a smoother, lighter complexion. And as a bonus, say good-bye to visible wrinkles and fine lines.
Try Admire My Skin 2% Hydroquinone Dark Spot Corrector.
2. Paula’s Choice Triple-Action Dark Spot Eraser
- REMARKABLY EFFECTIVE SPOT LIGHTENING FORMULA--Our Triple-Action Dark Spot Eraser uses a combination of 2% hydroquinone exfoliating 7% glycolic acid and antioxidants to lighten dark spots and discolorations while also brightening and fight signs of aging
- Paula's Choice--RESIST Triple-Action Dark Spot Eraser 7% AHA Lotion with Glycolic Acid & Hydroquinone is a sheer fluid lotion that easily absorbs into skin & leaves no residue. Promotes an even luminous skin tone for normal dry combination & oily skin.
- Use Paula's Choice Triple Action Dark Spot Eraser twice daily as part of your morning and evening skin care routines along with your favorite Paula's Choice cleanser, toner, serums, exfoliator, and moisturizer with SPF for daytime wear.
Check out this remarkably effective over the counter 4 hydroquinone cream.
It features a 2-percent hydroquinone concentration with a 7-percent glycolic acid formulation. Plus, there are antioxidants that can fight the signs of aging.
Introducing Paula’s Choice Triple-Action Dark Spot Eraser.
This amazing gel has the right formulation of hydroquinone that can effectively fade dark spots, restore dull skin, and give you a radiant glow. It also has BHA, which eliminates blemishes and minimizes pores.
No wonder it finds success in all skin types, addressing problem areas like dark spots, acne scars, and hyperpigmentation.
Here are the other stuff you can expect in this spot-lightening formula.
Paula’s Choice Triple-Action Dark Spot Eraser contains glycolic acid, which promotes an even skin tone, giving you a radiant glow.
This dark spot eraser also has salicylic acid, which is ideal for acne-prone skin.
With the perfect blend of hydroquinone, glycolic acid, and salicylic acid, Paula’s Choice Triple-Action Dark Spot Eraser is a highly effective solution against blemishes, scars, and signs of aging.
3. Melloderm Anti-Melasma Hydroquinone 2% Cream
- Apply once daily at night
- Melloderm-HQ 2% Cream
- Net weight 7g (0.25 Ounces)
Do you need an effective treatment solution for freckles or melasma?
Check out Melloderm Anti-Melasma Hydroquinone 2% Cream.
It’s a night cream for daily application. With regular use, you can see wonderful results in just weeks.
However, this product is not a good option for people with hypersensitive skin. In the same way, avoid using this cream on skin areas with sunburn.
Do not use Melloderm Anti-Melasma Hydroquinone 2% Cream for more than three months.
4. Divine Derriere Skin Lightening 2% Hydroquinone Bleaching Cream
- EFFECTIVE SKIN BLEACHING CREAM - 2% Hydroquinone, Kojic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Niacinamide, B-White Peptide and Licorice Extract helps even skin tone, brighten and diminish unwanted discoloration.
- DARK SPOT CORRECTOR - Fade stubborn dark spots, freckles, hyperpigmentation and melasma while refining and hydrating the surface of skin. OTC skin lightening cream can be once or twice daily.
- BRIGHTEN AND EVEN SKIN TONE - Multi-purpose dark spot corrector can be used for external areas of the body including underarms, elbows, knees, intimate areas, and more. Refer to product label for daily use.
Want to erase stubborn dark spots and freckles?
Check out Divine Derriere Skin Lightening 2% Hydroquinone Bleaching Cream.
It is an effective skin-lightening product that can effectively fade blemishes, freckles, and hyperpigmentation.
Wondering what to expect from this bleaching cream?
Divine Derriere Skin Lightening 2% Hydroquinone Bleaching Cream also contains kojic acid, lactic acid, and glycolic acid. These ingredients can help diminish the unwanted acne scars, age spots, and discolorations to even your skin tone.
Of course, glycolic acid and lactic acid are known to exfoliate the skin, removing dull skin cells, dirt, oil, and other impurities.
And as it corrects the dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and melasma, this fantastic product also hydrates the skin, leaving it radiantly glowing.
Divine Derriere Skin Lightening 2% Hydroquinone Bleaching Cream is multipurpose too. Apart from the dark spots and blemishes on the face, you can use it on the other external parts of the body.
Apply it on the elbows, knees, underarms, and intimate areas to whiten the skin surface on these areas.
In four weeks of regular use, you can see visible results. No more hiding, no more embarrassing dark spots.
Reveal glowing, healthy-looking skin with Divine Derriere Skin Lightening 2% Hydroquinone Bleaching Cream.
5. PCA Skin Pigment Gel
Would you like to erase the blemishes and discoloration on your skin?
With PCA Skin Pigment Gel, you can get an even tone for a brighter, younger-looking skin.
But here’s the thing. While it doesn’t contain hydroquinone, this gel works like it has a 2-percent formulation.
It’s an ideal alternative for people who are sensitive to hydroquinone.
To get the best results, the suggested application is twice a day (morning and evening) as a spot treatment for blemishes, scars, and discolorations.
Wondering what to expect from this product?
PCA Skin Pigment Gel contains azelaic acid and kojic acid. So even if it doesn’t have hydroquinone, it can still effectively fade skin discoloration, giving you an even skin tone.
What’s great about PCA Skin Pigment Gel is that it contains phenyethyl resorcinol; it’s a wonderful antioxidant that lightens your skin.
Plus, you can use it over acne to prevent scarring or hyperpigmentation once it heals.
Want to remove dark spots and blemishes?
Bare a brighter, younger-looking skin with PCA Skin Pigment Gel.
6. Clinicians Complex 6% Skin Bleaching Cream
- Contains a blend of three proven skin lightening ingredients.
- Great for removing sun spots, age spots.
- Freckles, pigmented scars, and melasma.
Looking for a wonderful skin-lightening cream that can erase discoloration and pigmentation?
Check out Clinicians Complex 6% Skin Bleaching Cream.
It contains three bleaching agents to give you a brighter, lighter, and younger-looking skin: hydroquinone, kojic acid, and bearberry extract.
You’re probably wondering what’s that “6%” on its name.
Well, it doesn’t mean 6-percent hydroquinone; that’s way over the safe threshold for over-the-counter creams and serums.
Rather, the 6-percent formulation pertains to the total, resulting from the combination of the three skin-bleaching ingredients. So that’s 2 percent for each.
Wondering what to expect from Clinicians Complex 6% Skin Bleaching Cream?
It’s a very potent product that can give you a lighter complexion in just a few weeks.
But it’s gentle. Clinicians Complex 6% Skin Bleaching Cream doesn’t contain strong exfoliants that can irritate your skin.
Instead, this skin-bleaching cream uses pineapple enzymes and other natural lightening ingredients to remove the old skin cells and clear your skin, giving it a healthy-looking glow.
However, Clinicians Complex 6% Skin Bleaching Cream contains mineral oil. So it may not be a good choice for people with oily or acne-prone skin.
But it’s an excellent cream for dry skin.
Do you want a powerful skin-bleaching product that’s gentle on your skin?
Try Clinicians Complex 6% Skin Bleaching Cream.
7. Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum
- FAST ACTING AGE SPOT CORRECTOR: This lightening treatment features 2.0% Hydroquinone, the highest level available without a prescription. Hydroquinone, along with Hexapeptide-2 and Glycolic Acid, creates a fast-acting, targeted skin-brightening blend with ingredients that help the skin renew itself, correct unwanted skin discoloration, protect against future damage, and inhibit the formation of pigmentation.
- ENJOY THE SUN, REVERSE THE SIGNS: You can't hide from the sun, and you shouldn't have to. Take action to reverse the signs of your fun in the sun with this lightening serum that helped 85% of people see dark spots lighten in just one week in a Murad sponsored study. Individual results will vary.
- REVEAL A CLEARER, BRIGHTER COMPLEXION: Murad's lightenting treatment not only fights hyperpigmentation, sun spots, brown spots, and the effects of melasma, but also helps even out skin tone to reveal a clearer, brighter complexion and smoother skin. Help treat fine lines and wrinkles, uneven texture, and envrionmental aging with this revolutionary serum.
Here’s a wonderful dark spot and pigment eraser.
Check out Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum.
It’s a fast-acting product that creates a brighter and lighter complexion for you. In just one week, you can see the difference.
In addition to its 2-percent hydroquinone formulation, Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum contains glycolic acid and Hexapeptide 2, which boost the skin-brightening process.
It exfoliates dead skin cells while minimizing the blemishes and pigmentation, revealing a more radiant skin.
Use Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum twice a day (morning and evening).
To apply, gently massage a thin layer of this serum over your clean face and neck.
For best results, wear sunscreen after your morning application. In the same way, put on a moisturizer right after as part of your evening routine.
If you want something that delivers results fast, try Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum. It’s one of the best hydroquinone cream over the counter products.
8. Alpha Skin Care Dual Action Skin Lightener
- ANTI-AGING FORMULA: Our unique dual action skin lightener is specially formulated with the optimal balance of 2% Hydroquinone (A scientifically-proven organic lightening compound), 10% Glycolic Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) (found naturally in our body, acts as a hydrating moisturizer) and a ph level of 3.5. It is also free of parabens.
- HEALTHY & RADIANT SKIN: Hydroquinone inhibits the process that causes dark spots, age spots and hyperpigmentation. Diminishes dark spots, visibly evens skin tone and restores an overall radiance to the skin. Hyaluronic Acid holds up to 1,000 times its weight in water, making it ideal to lock in moisture. It gives a boost of moisture creating visibly plumped, smoother and more luminous skin.
- THE POWER OF OUR INGREDIENTS: At Alpha Skin Care, we spent decades researching and formulating our products. We follow one simple truth – to use essential, natural ingredients with clinically-proven results to reveal healthy, younger-looking skin.
Have you used intensive exfoliants like AHA and BHA before?
Then you can handle the high concentrations of it in Alpha Skin Care Dual Action Skin Lightener.
It’s probably the strongest hydroquinone cream over the counter product today.
Alpha Skin Care Dual Action Skin Lightener contains 10 percent glycolic acid, which allows its 2-percent hydroquinone formulation to absorb quicker.
What’s more, this fantastic product has vitamin E that moisturizes and nourishes your skin.
As a result, you get lighter, healthy-looking skin that’s free from blemishes, pigmentation, dark spots, and discoloration.
Alpha Skin Care Dual Action Skin Lightener also contains other vitamins and nutrients along with anti-aging agents that work to erase wrinkles and facial fine lines.
For a skin-lightening product that also reduces the appearance of wrinkles, check out Alpha Skin Care Dual Action Skin Lightener. It can give you a smooth and refreshed feeling.
9. MD Complete Professional Dermatologist Dark Spot Corrector and Melasma Cream for Face, Hands, and Body
- Enjoy a beautiful, clear, even complexion with a bright, healthy warm glow. Works on face, hands & body.
- The only skincare clinically proven to match the dark spot reduction of dermatologist anti-aging laser treatments. Study published in the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. Requires 90 days of daily use, 120 days for best results, consistent with dermatologists’ best dark spot removal treatments.
- A proprietary technology improves the results of 2% Hydroquinone, the only FDA approved ingredient for dark spot reduction. Additionally, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin B (Niacinamide) and Raspberry, Grape, Black Cumin and Pumpkin Seed Extracts brighten skin tone and radiance. IMPORTANT: 2% Hydroquinone is a powerful and effective skincare ingredient so be sure to test for skin irritation on a small patch of skin.
Completing my list of the top hydroquinone over the counter products in 2020 is this wonderful skin-lightening and dark spot corrector.
What I love about this cream is that it address common skin issues like dryness or irritation after a skincare application.
But this one is gentle, hydrating and nourishing your skin instead.
Check out MD Complete Professional Dermatologist Dark Spot Corrector and Melasma Cream for Face, Hands, and Body.
This fantastic cream leaves out the harsh ingredients like AHA and BHA exfoliants.
Instead, you get natural skin lighteners like black raspberry oil, allantoin, alpha arbutin, and niacinamide.
With the MD Complete Dark Spot Corrector and Melasma Cream, you get smoother, more radiant skin without the dryness or flakiness.
Have you tried any of the hydroquinone over the counter products here?
You may also like these other skincare posts: