This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
We all know that curly hair tends to be more fragile and drier than other hair types. It needs lots of moisture, hydration, and TLC.
And if you’re experiencing frizzy, damaged, and coarse hair, then you need to do something about it.
We know the struggle of finding the right products that really work to help repair your hair. It takes a lot of trial and error. Plus, checking the ingredients of each product that claims to repair your hair is a tedious task.
This is why we’ve done the research for you and created a list of the best products for damaged curly hair that work!
So read on if you want to revitalize your hair and give your curls some definition and bounce.
- Two-in-one product
- Boosts curl definition
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Nourishes hair in minutes
- Deeply repairs hair
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Repairs split ends
- Nourishes treated hair
- Sustainable and cruelty-free
What Causes Damaged Curly Hair?
The first step to getting healthy curls is to figure out what’s causing your hair problems. Here are the reasons why your hair is damaged.
While shampooing cleanses your hair, it can also strip off its natural oils in the process, which can dry out your strands and make them prone to breakage.
Brushing curly hair when dry may cause it to frizz. Doing it roughly may also result in hair breakage and split ends.
Heat Styling and Chemical Treatments
Using heat-styling tools like flat irons, curling irons, and hair dryers too often can weaken the hair’s structure and cause damage.
Also, treatments like coloring, perming, and relaxing can weaken the hair shaft and break down the structure of your hair.
Use of the Wrong Hair Products
If you have naturally curly hair, you’re probably familiar with the Curly Girl Method.
If not, all you need to know is that it’s a hair care routine designed to bring out the best in curly hair.
Examples of these include sulfates, drying alcohols, silicones, and heavy oils or waxes.
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Hair Products for Dry and Damaged Curly Hair
So how do you choose the right products for your damaged curls? Here’s a breakdown of what you should consider before making a purchase.
Consider Your Curl Type
There are different types of curly hair:
|Type 4||Kinky and Coily|
Each type has three subtypes: A, B, and C. They vary based on the shape and diameter of the curl pattern. For instance, type A curls are wider, while type C curls are tighter.
The type of product you choose will depend on which curl type you have.
For instance, if you have curlier hair (anywhere from type 3A to 4C), your strands are likely more prone to dryness and damage.
So you’ll need to look for thick conditioning products like hair masks as well as products that contain ingredients like shea butter, which can help seal in moisture.
Look for Products With Curl-Friendly Ingredients
The best treatments for damaged curly hair should contain hair care ingredients that can deeply repair and rehydrate your strands.
Look for glycerin, peptides, keratin, avocado oil, coconut oil, and lactic acid — all of which are ingredients that restore moisture and nourishment to your curls.
Ditch Products With Harsh or Harmful Ingredients
Always check the label of the product. Watch out for sulfate, phthalates, alcohol, and formaldehyde as these can further dry out your hair.
It’s best to choose products that are free of these substances. For instance, you should only use sulfate-free shampoos. You also need to avoid silicones as these will coat your hair and prevent it from taking in moisture.
The 9 Best Products To Repair Damaged Curly Hair
Ready to find out which products are best for your dry, damaged tresses? Check out our top picks below.
We love this deep conditioning mask that intensely conditions the hair without weighing it down.
Primary benefits: Reduces frizz and hair breakage, nourishes and smooths hair strands for shinier locks
- Helps smooth the hair cuticle for shinier hair
- 70% reduction in hair breakage after use
- Makes hair more manageable
It replenishes the hair’s protective layer, making your curls soft and shiny after one wash!
This hair product is also vegan, safe for chemically-treated hair, and free from silicones, phthalates, formaldehyde, and parabens.
For frizzy, damaged hair, the Living Proof intense Moisture Mask is the ideal choice with its blend of ingredients that smooths hair and boosts its manageability:
- Jojoba esters combat humidity.
- Biomimetic emollient blend helps detangle hair.
- Amino acid blend increases hair’s moisture retention.
- Shea butter deep conditions hair.
- Hemisqualane leaves hair silky and shiny.
Aside from making your hair more manageable, it helps keep your hair cleaner, so you’ll wash it less often. It reduces hair breakage by up to 70% and creates healthier hair over time when used regularly.
Here’s how to use the Living Proof No Frizz Intense Moisture Mask:
- Apply the hair mask liberally to your hair, coating it from the roots to the ends.
- Leave the mask on for no longer than five to ten minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Use it one to two times weekly as needed.
An affordable treatment mask specially formulated to nourish 3A to 4C hair.
Primary benefits: Deeply conditions dry and textured hair; leaves hair softer
- Nourishes kinky, coily, and chemically treated hair
- Thick formula for deep conditioning
For days when your hair feels straw-like, the SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque will come to the rescue!
The SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque is a hair treatment that deeply moisturizes and conditions curls with natural ingredients like the following:
- Raw shea butter locks moisture in your hair.
- Sea kelp boosts hair strength.
- Castor seed oil seals in moisture and prevents further damage.
- Olive oil softens and smooths curls.
- Avocado oil protects hair from damage.
It’s a good conditioning mask you can use to transition chemically straightened hair to natural hair. It also improves your curls’ health by delivering soothing moisture.
Here’s how to use the SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque:
- Apply a generous amount of the product on your hair and detangle your hair strands.
- Leave it in for five minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
- If you want a deep moisturizing treatment, cover your hair with a cap. Then leave it in for 30 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
Clinically proven to lessen hair breakage, this lightweight, moisturizing hair serum instantly hydrates curls with a non-oily finish.
Primary benefits: Moisturizes hair and scalp with oils for all-day hydration, protects hair from frizz and damage
- Lightweight and non-greasy formula
- Unique formula replenishes curl's natural oils
- 84% less breakage with constant use
With its innovative hair technology, this serum will define your curls and bring them back to life.
This product features Profaxil-18 Complex. It’s a unique technology that breaks large oil molecules into microdispersion.
Microdispersion is where the dispersed product spreads into small particles, allowing them to penetrate the hair shaft easily. As a result, this natural serum is able to deeply moisturize and nourish your hair without the greasy feel.
It contains the following ingredients:
- Jojoba and coconut oils moisturize curls.
- Profaxil 18 complex disperses oils to each strand.
- Pequi oil mimics and replenishes hair’s natural sebum.
Plus, it’s vegan and cruelty-free. It also comes in recyclable packaging. When using this serum, remember the CGM rule: apply it only when your hair is wet.
Here’s how to use the Curl Wow Flo-etry Vital Natural Serum:
- Apply the product onto freshly washed hair, then work it through your strands using your fingers or a comb.
- Style your hair as usual and diffuse or air dry.
This restorative leave-in mask penetrates the deepest layers of curly hair to repair hair damage. The result? Stronger, more elastic, and softer, bouncier locks!
Primary benefits: Repairs hair damage on a molecular level, improves hair strength
- Lightweight and reduces frizz
- Detangles and softens hair
- Vegan, cruelty-free and color-safe
This leave-in mask repairs and revitalizes curls in minutes.
Hair masks usually have a thick formula, which can weigh down your hair. So they’re typically unsuitable to use as leave-in conditioners.
But the K18 Leave-In Molecular Repair Hair Mask is different. Because it has a lightweight formula that delivers intensive moisture, you can use it as a leave-in, a regular conditioner, or a hair mask.
Featuring K18’s innovative ingredient, K18Peptide, this product works in just four minutes but leaves long-lasting results. It works by reconnecting keratin chains in damaged strands to help them get stronger and healthier.
Although a bit pricey, a little of this product goes a long way, and it yields incredible results. Its formula is also fast-acting and suitable for all hair types.
Here’s how to use the K18 Leave-In Molecular Repair Mask:
- Shampoo your hair. Do not use conditioner, and dry your hair thoroughly.
- Start with one pump of the product. Add more as needed, but don’t use more than three pumps.
- Let it sit on your hair for four minutes. Do not rinse.
- Style your hair as usual.
The Doux Sucka Free Moisturizing Shampoo cleanses well and comes packed with moisturizing ingredients, so it doesn't dry out your hair.
Primary benefits: Cleanses hair while hydrating it, leaving it soft and shiny after use
- Leaves curls clean and soft
- Smooths out hair strands
- Clarifies hair without drying it out
An ultra-hydrating shampoo that defines coils and curl patterns while protecting hair from heat and sun damage.
Although shampoo cleanses your hair, it can also strip off the natural oils that keep your hair healthy. But not this shampoo. Sucka cleanses the hair while giving it ultimate hydration, leaving it soft and nourished.
With ingredients like shea butter and silk amino acids, this creamy formula improves hair strength and adds shine. It’s also safe for chemically treated and colored hair. Plus, it smells good!
It’s also paraben- and sulfate-free.
Here’s how to use this moisturizing shampoo:
- Apply the product to wet hair.
- Lather and massage it into your scalp and strands.
- Rinse out completely.
This treatment masque softens and repairs hair, so you can get more manageable and healthier curls.
Primary benefits: Hydrates and softens hair, repairs split ends; strengthens hair to prevent future damage
- Softens hair and leaves it silky
- Light and helps increase styling hold
- Heals split ends and prevent future damage
This rich treatment mask from Ouai not only makes your hair look good, but it also makes your hair smell good!
It repairs and prevents future damage with its power ingredients like shea butter, panthenol, and hydrolyzed keratin. Although it has a rich and thick formula, it doesn’t leave hair greasy.
Instead, it leaves curls silky smooth and bouncy instantly!
This hair treatment for damaged curly hair has two variants available: one for fine to medium hair and one for thick textured hair. We also love its velvety-rich rose scent that leaves you feeling luxuriously fresh after you shower.
Here’s how to use the Ouai Treatment Masque:
- Cleanse hair and rinse with warm water.
- Remove excess water from hair.
- Apply the product. Start from the ends to the roots.
- Detangle using a wide-tooth comb or your fingers.
- Let it sit for five minutes and rinse completely with cool water.
This two-in-one solution is suitable for ladies who want a few things in their kit, yet gives amazing results.
Primary benefits: Revitalizes and defines curls, adds volume and bounce to hair
- Defines and softens curls
- Daily conditioner and primer in one
- Vegan and cruelty-free
A daily conditioner and styling primer in one? Ouidad has got you covered!
The Ouidad Recovery Whipped Curls Daily Conditioner and Styling Primer is a two-in-one product you can use as a daily conditioner or as a styling primer.
Don’t be fooled by its thick formula; this product feels lightweight and provides intense hydration to make your hair more manageable. It also boosts the volume and elasticity of your hair to give you fuller, bouncier curls you’ll love.
It also has high-quality botanicals and keeps curls hydrated from the inside, so it helps hair get back to health. It contains ingredients like the following:
- Triple olive oil, shea butter, and glycerin deeply nourish curls.
- Green tea extract protects curls from the elements.
Here’s how to use this product as a conditioner:
- Apply the product to your hair.
- Detangle your hair and leave the product in for three minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
Here’s how to use this product as a primer:
- Apply the product to your damp hair.
- Detangle your hair and style it as usual.
Formulated for 3A to 4C curl types, this protein-rich Imbue Curl Restoring Intensive Mask helps strengthen hair and brings your coils, ringlets, and coils back to life.
Primary benefits: Repairs dry and damaged strands, defines tight curls, and strengthens hair
- Keeps curls and coils hydrated
- Packed with protein
- Vegan and sustainable
The protein-rich formula targets damaged and weak hair, transforming it into shinier and healthier curls.
Infused with the following natural oils, this product does wonders for your hair:
- Cacao seed butter protects the hair’s keratin
- Camellia seed oil seals moisture into the hair
- Shea butter softens dry curls without weighing them down
Plus, you don’t need to use much product — a little goes a long way, and it delivers great results.
If you have straw-like hair, this product will help smooth and soften your hair after use.
Here’s how to use the Imbue Curl Restoring Intensive Mask:
- Apply the product to damp hair.
- Detangle your hair, making sure every curl gets enough of the product.
- Leave the product on your hair for ten minutes.
- Rinse and style as usual.
We love this reparative leave-in conditioner’s cooling effect that soothes and invigorates the scalp.
Primary benefits: Repairs chemically treated hair, nourishes and supports elasticity to resist hair breakage
- Improves the appearance of split ends
- Repairs damage to chemically treated or heat-treated hair
- Sustainably produced and cruelty-free
Formulated to nourish and moisturize thick and kinky hair, the SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave In Conditioner fortifies each curl to help prevent breakage.
This product contains organic ingredients that improve hair manageability and enhance the overall look and feel of your hair. It also contains nourishing ingredients, such as the following:
- Jamaican black castor oil supports healthy hair growth.
- Apple cider vinegar reduces scalp itchiness and balances its pH.
- Organic shea butter conditions dry hair and scalp.
It’s also curly hair-friendly. We also love how the apple cider vinegar in it helps balance the scalp’s pH. This helps exfoliate the scalp for cleaner pores and improves hair shine and strength.
Plus, it has a sweet marshmallow scent that makes you want to stay in the shower longer!
Here’s how to use the SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave In Conditioner:
- Apply a generous amount of the product to clean, damp hair.
- Gently comb your hair to distribute the product evenly.
- Apply more leave-in conditioner as needed and style your hair as usual.
- Finish by diffusing or air-drying your hair.
FAQ About the Best Products for Damaged Curly Hair
How Long Does It Take To Repair Damaged Curly Hair?
Using the right products and consistently using them will take about six months to a year for you to see a difference in your hair’s condition. Avoid chemicals and heat-styling tools to restore your curls faster.
How Can I Protect My Curly Hair?
Use curl-friendly products and deep condition once or twice a week. Also, only style and comb your hair when wet. Avoid heat styling your hair if possible and use microfiber towels instead of terry towels to dry your hair.
Time to Treat Your Tresses With the Best Curly Hair Products for Damaged Hair
Now that you know the best products for damaged curly hair, it’s time to incorporate them into your hair care and give your curls the TLC they deserve.
Remember to look for ingredients that will work to repair hair breakage and improve hair strength. Also, follow the instructions on the label to achieve optimal results.
Everyone’s hair is different. So don’t be afraid of using different products until you find what works best for you.
Now choose the best hair treatment for your curly damaged hair and get ready to embrace nourishment, hydration, and bounce that will leave your curls looking voluminous and defined.
Want To Find More Products for Curly Hair?
Check out these articles: