This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Are you looking for the best drugstore shampoos for curly hair?
Let’s be honest. Finding the best drugstore curly hair shampoo is a daunting task.
There are so many products on the market. It can be hard to determine which one will work best for your specific hair type.
Ideally, you’re looking for one that can help control the frizz and keep your curls stay shiny and smooth. On the other hand, you want a shampoo that can define and enhance your curls.
What’s more, you want to have moisturizing ingredients. The best drugstore shampoos for curly hair will cleanse your hair and scalp without stripping the natural oil. Of course, you need the natural oil because that keeps your curls healthy-looking.
Here’s another tip.
When looking for the best drugstore shampoos for curly hair, pay attention to the ingredients.
Check for shea butter, coconut oil, or argan oil. You may also want to look for shampoos that contain curl-enhancing ingredients like biotin or panthenol.
In this article, we will talk about the best drugstore shampoos for curly hair.
I will also give you tips on what shampoo works best for different types of curly hair.
Why Choose Drugstore Curly Hair Shampoos?
When it comes to shampoos, drugstores have a lot to offer. They carry a variety of brands and formulas, including the best affordable shampoos for curly hair.
The challenge, however, lies in the fact that there are so many choices available. So it can be hard to know which one is the best for you.
Another benefit to choosing drugstore shampoos is that it’s affordable.
You rarely encounter a pricey brand on the shelves of a drugstore.
But don’t let the inexpensive tag fool you. You can find good drugstore shampoos for curly hair for less than $10. And since you don’t need much, a bottle will last a long time.
What’s more, drugstores carry shampoos of different varieties. This means there’s likely a shampoo made for your specific needs. These stores carry shampoos for color-treated hair, dry hair, frizzy hair, and many more.
And you can trust that you can find high-quality brands and products in drugstores. There’s a good chance you can find your favorites.
What Are the Different Types of Curly Hair?
Wondering what’s your curly hair type?
Chances are, you look good in curls. But not all curls are the same. You may look good in one, but you could be even more stunning in another.
Did you know there are four different curl types?
Each type has its own textures, patterns, and behavior. So if you have curls, it’s important to understand these things. One, it helps you keep your hair strong and healthy, and two, you’ll know how to style it.
1. Wavy Curls
Following a relaxed S shape pattern, wavy curls tend to be non-uniform. This means hair may be straight from the crown up to the middle. Only then does it start its wavy pattern.
A unique distinction of wavy curls is that it tends to be dry on the ends. And with dryness comes dehydration and damage. This is why wavy curls need constant moisturizing.
2. Loose Curls
This curl type follows a more defined S shape. This pattern is consistent and uniform with a distinctive coiling shape that runs from root to tip.
Like wavy curls, loose curls are prone to dehydration and damage. When they do, loose curls lose definition and become frizzy.
And just like wavy curls, loose curls need gentle care and balanced moisturizing.
3. Tight Curls
Finer and lighter, tight curls appear as small corkscrew-like twirls. Looks really great.
However, if you fail to moisturize it, those curls will lose their shape. The cute twirls will look dense and become unmanageable.
Deep hydration is what these tight curls to stay soft, strong, and healthy.
4. Coily Curl
Tightly coiled, these curls follow a zigzag-like pattern. However, the tighter these coils are, the more difficult they are to oil and moisturize. And because they are delicate and fine, they require protective moisture.
Looking for the Best Drugstore Shampoos for Curly Hair?
Here are a few things to bear in mind when perusing for the best drugstore shampoos for curly hair.
First, the shampoo should be sulfate-free. Sulfates are harsh detergents that can strip your hair of its natural oils. These chemical substances can cause dryness and frizz. And with dryness and frizz comes unmanageable curls. You don’t want that.
Second, the shampoo should have a moisturizing formula. Curly hair tends to be dry and needs all the moisture it can get to stay healthy and hydrated.
Finally, it’s important to find a shampoo that will help define your curls. Some shampoos contain ingredients like glycerin and avocado oil that help tame frizz and make curl patterns consistent.
Check Out The Best Drugstore Shampoos for Curly Hair
It takes effort to nurture and nourish your curly locks. But with these best drugstore shampoos for curly hair, it will be a breeze.
1. SheaMoisture Shampoo Curl And Shine For Curly Hair
- SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Shampoo is a phthalate free shampoo, paraben free shampoo and cruelty-free, that hair gently cleanses natural hair and improves hair's health and restores shine.
- This curl enhancing shampoo is a natural hair shampoo that contains coconut oil to moisturize and protect hair while replenishing lost oil.Dye free
- SheaMoisture delivers this silicone free shampoo that is a curl care shampoo and also contains hibiscus flower extracts to improve hair elasticity while reducing the occurrence of breakage.
Having curly hair doesn’t have to be expensive. So you’ll love this cheap curly hair shampoo. It has all the nourishment and moisturizing that your curls need for styling, care, and health.
Check out SheaMoisture Shampoo Curl And Shine For Curly Hair.
You wouldn’t believe how awesome this is when it comes to nourishing your twirly curls. If you’re wondering what’s its secret, it’s in its ingredients.
SheaMoisture Shampoo Curl And Shine For Curly Hair contains black castor oil, hibiscus, and coconut. So you can trust that it’s super nourishing to your curly locks.
In addition to its natural formula, SheaMoisture Shampoo Curl And Shine For Curly Hair contains zero nasties. It doesn’t have parabens, silicones, phthalates, petroleum, and the notorious sulfates.
And it’s completely cruelty-free.
Gentle on your hair and restores its shine. Need to hear more about this shampoo?
With SheaMoisture Shampoo Curl And Shine For Curly Hair, you get soft and silky smooth curls all day long.
2. L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate Free Shampoo for Curly Hair
- Sulfate-Free Shampoo For Curly Hair: Our anti-frizz shampoo for curly hair is especially gentle on curls; This formula is sulfate-free, salt-free, and surfactant-free, so it won't strip hair or dull its color
- Nourish Your Curls: For curly hair that needs lightweight, anti-frizz hydration that won't weigh curls down, look no further; EverCurl with Coconut Oil delivers deep moisture for up to 48 hours of curl definition with total system
- The EverCurl Hydracharge System: For best results, use EverPure Moisture shampoo and conditioner in tandem, for a nourishing hair care system that quenches for soft, manageable, hydrated curls
This list of the best drugstore shampoos for curly hair won’t be complete without one of my favorite brands.
Check out the anti-frizz power of L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate Free Shampoo for Curly Hair.
First off, it doesn’t contain sulfates. So this product will not strip the natural oil of your hair, leaving it frizzy. No salts either, which can cause problems on your curls and hair color (yep, it’s friendly on colored hair).
Tired of shampoos that can only make your hair feel greasy?
L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate Free Shampoo for Curly Hair gives you a lightweight feeling. It won’t weigh you down or make you feel greasy.
Of course, you’ll also love its hydration and lock-in moisture. Thanks to its coconut oil ingredient.
Try L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate Free Shampoo for Curly Hair for a sulfate-free, anti-frizz shampoo experience.
3. Aussie Shampoo Miracle Curls
- 3 Pieces - 12.1 Ounce (360ml)
- With Coconut And Jojoba Oil,
- Helps Maximize Moisture
I recently found out about this gem.
From what I’ve read in the reviews, it will never leave your curls dry. Although I don’t have curls, I tried it out. And yes, the reviews are accurate.
Try Aussie Shampoo Miracle Curls.
It’s gentle on my hair, leaving it soft and smooth. What’s more, it completely moisturized my hair.
What a delightful surprise this product was. So far, it remains as one of the best drugstore shampoos for curly hair for me.
4. Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Shampoo
- Curl-defining coconut oil anti-frizz shampoo
- DE-FRIZZ and DEFINE CURLS: This 13-fluid ounce bottle of Maui Moisture Curl Quench and Coconut Oil Shampoo helps hydrate, smooth and defrizz curls while enhancing softness and body
- CURLY HAIR CARE: Ideal for tight curls, the anti-frizz shampoo is safe for use on color-treated hair to help detangle, protect and define your hair's natural curl pattern leaving behind shiny, bouncy curls
This shampoo is brilliant for twisty locks that require a huge hydration kick. Ideal for ladies with high porosity curls; this means their hair tends to lose moisture quickly. What this amazing product does is seals the moisture and lock it into the hair cuticle.
Check out Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Shampoo.
It provides heavyweight washing, which is perfect for high porosity curls.
So if your hair tends to lose moisture real quick, this is the perfect shampoo for you.
Its secret lies in its coconut oil ingredient. This gives it a hydrating effect that makes your hair feel smooth and frizz-free.
Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Shampoo is perfect for unruly, tight curls. It easily detangles the unmanageable, nourishing and defining your curls from root to tip.
Here’s another reason why this shampoo is a drugstore bestseller.
Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Shampoo doesn’t contain harsh chemical ingredients that you usually find in most shampoos. Zero silicones, parabens, mineral oil, gluten, and sulfates.
And because it contains mostly natural ingredients, it gently repairs damaged strands. It’s also brilliant at replenishing proteins to strengthen your hair.
On top of coconut oil, Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Shampoo also contains 100 percent aloe vera. Plus, it has papaya extract and plumeria extract.
Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Shampoo is ideal for ladies with finer hair as well as colored.
5. Garnier Fructis Style Curl Nourish Conditioner for Curly Hair
- Curl Strengthening Leave In Conditioner: Curl Nourish butter cream leave in conditioning treatment, with coconut oil, replenishes for long lasting moisture and 24 hour frizz control; Hair is stronger, curls more defined, shinier and softer
- Curly Hair Styling Products: Shape, define, and refresh your curls with a little help from Garnier Fructis; Our specially formulated curly hair products, hydrate, condition, and smooth frizz for nourished, shining curls
- Nourish and Style with Garnier Fructis: From Mega Full to Anti Frizz hair products Garnier has shampoos, leave in conditioners, hair masks, texturizing sprays and more to help you care for your hair your way
Looking for a drugstore conditioner for curly hair to pair with your shampoo?
Check out Garnier Fructis Style Curl Nourish Conditioner for Curly Hair.
Rich in jojoba, coconut, and macadamia oils, this leave-in conditioner helps control frizz and untangle your hair. It’s also perfect for replenishing hydration as well as locking in moisture.
Garnier Fructis Style Curl Nourish Conditioner for Curly Hair contains vitamins B3 and B6 in combination with active fruit proteins. These ingredients help strengthen your hair to make it more resilient from breakage and falling.
And you’ll be happy to know it doesn’t contain sulfates or parabens. None of the harsh chemicals that strip your curly hair from its moisture or nutrients.
Want a 24-hour frizz control for your twirly locks?
Try Garnier Fructis Style Curl Nourish Conditioner for Curly Hair. It’s perfect for dry curls.
6. Design Essentials Moisturizing and Detangling Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- Maximum Moisture: Featuring moisturizing and hydrating almond and avocado oils, this go to shampoo for women, men, and kids cleanses the hair and scalp by removing dirt and build up without stripping the hair of its natural oils
- Detangle with Ease: Saves up to 30 minutes in detangling time for long to short, curly to kinky, straight to natural hair textures; Helps increase the strength of weak or brittle curls and promotes noticeable body and softness
- For Healthy Hair: Gentle, sulfate free formula is also paraben, paraffin, petrolatum free and contains no mineral oils to help promote healthy hair growth; Formula also is compatible with hair extensions
Need to detangle your unruly curls?
This may be the best curly hair drugstore shampoo.
Introducing Design Essentials Moisturizing and Detangling Sulfate-Free Shampoo.
This sulfate-free blend contains a nourishing formula that won’t strip your hair off its natural oils. In addition to nourishing, it also has a moisturizing effect that will reduce the time it takes to detangle your locks.
With its natural ingredients, you don’t have to worry about any harsh effects. Design Essentials Moisturizing and Detangling Sulfate-Free Shampoo is ideal for everyday use.
These natural ingredients include avocado and almonds, which penetrate each strand and hydrate them. As a result, you get soft and manageable hair that’s healthy-looking.
Best of all, it’s safe to use for everyone in the family.
Get that smooth and silky hair you’ve always wanted. Check out Design Essentials Moisturizing and Detangling Sulfate-Free Shampoo.
7. Carol’s Daughter Coco Creme Curl Quenching Sulfate Free Shampoo for Very Dry Hair
- Moisturizing Shampoo: Let your hair soak up this creamy moisturizing sulfate-free shampoo that softens while it cleanses, giving extra dry hair an extreme moisture experience
- Extra Moisture For Curly Hair: Quench the thirst of extremely dry hair with Coco Crème Sulfate-Free Shampoo, Creamy Conditioner, Velvet Cream Hair Mask, and Moisture Butter for hydrated, defined curls and coils
- Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner are ideal for curly hair, hair prone to dryness, and any hair type that needs a little extra moisture protection; Use sulfate-free conditioner and shampoo together for best results
Do you have fine curly hair that tends to dry?
Then what you need is a super-moisturizing shampoo that gives enough conditioning that won’t leave your hair limp.
Try Carol’s Daughter Coco Creme Curl Quenching Sulfate Free Shampoo for Very Dry Hair.
With lightweight ingredients, it works best on both low and high porosity hair. Its secret lies in coconut oil. This ingredient seals in the moisture and replenishes the protein loss to rejuvenate each strand.
Here’s a tip though when using this shampoo. You need to rinse well after. That way, you reduce the heaviness of your curls. Especially if you have finer hair.
But in all regards, this shampoo is top-notch. You’ll love Carol’s Daughter Coco Creme Curl Quenching Sulfate Free Shampoo for Very Dry Hair.
8. Davines Love Curl Enhancing Shampoo
- A daily curl-conditioning shampoo for textured hair.
- Gives definition and volume to curls.
- Massage gently into scalp then rinse out.
On the other hand, when you want something that’s super lightweight on your hair, try this out. It’s perfect for fine hair. Not only does this boost the elasticity of your hair, but it also effectively hydrates your hair.
Check out Davines Love Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
It’s rich in protein, iron, magnesium, and vitamins. One vitamin, in particular, vitamin E, supports scalp health and hair growth and provides natural antioxidant benefits.
Is your hair thinning?
This one is perfect. Brilliant for fine and thinning hair.
And it also has superior frizz control. Davines Love Curl Enhancing Shampoo can tame unruly and manageable hair.
Which drugstore shampoos for curly hair will you try?
You May Also Like: