This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Microneedling involves using fine needles to create surface-deep wounds on your skin. This process increases collagen and elastin production, bringing skin rejuvenation.
Although microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure, your skin still needs time to heal from the wounds.
What you do during the recovery period is also important as this can help prevent unwanted side effects and boost microneedling benefits.
At this point, you may be asking: “What should I put on my face after microneedling?”
To get started, here’s a comprehensive guide on what to use on the face after microneedling.
What to Apply After Microneedling?
Immediately after microneedling, your skin may feel red, warm, and tight. As your skin heals, there may also be minor swelling or irritation in the next few days.
Here are some dos and don’ts to follow after your microneedling procedure. These will also give you a good idea of what to put on the skin after microneedling.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser. Make sure to always wash your hands before touching the treated area.
- Follow a simple skincare routine with gentle fragrance-free products. This helps prevent further irritation, infection, and other unwanted side effects. We recommend sticking to cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen.
- Incorporate collagen-boosting ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, amino acids or peptides, growth factor proteins, and antioxidants. These skincare products can support and boost the effects of microneedling.
- Use a ceramide-rich moisturizer to hydrate the skin as it can become dry and flaky after the procedure. Ceramides increase moisture and create a layer to protect your skin barrier from irritation and damage.
- Apply a daily sunscreen with at least SPF 30. Sun exposure after microneedling can cause sunburn, scarring, and irritation. It may even undo the effects of microneedling, as exposure to UV rays can lead to premature aging and skin damage.
- Do not wear makeup for 48 hours. Dirt and bacteria from makeup brushes can seep into the wounds and cause infection. Makeup can also clog pores and lead to breakouts.
- Do not engage in strenuous activity or exercise for 72 hours. Sweating can irritate and expose your skin to bacteria. Avoid gyms, saunas, steams, jacuzzis, and swimming pools.
- Do not apply active ingredients and exfoliators for the first five days. Since your skin is compromised, ingredients like AHAs, BHAs, retinols, and vitamin C will be too harsh. They may cause chemical burns or over-exfoliation. It’s best to wait until the post-microneedling redness and irritation have subsided.
- Do not use beauty tools such as gua shas, jade rollers, and cleansing brushes for the first three days. They may also irritate the skin or cause infection.
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medications even though you might feel discomfort after microneedling. Ibuprofen can interfere with your body’s recovery and cancel out the microneedling benefits that come with the natural healing process.
What Should I Put on My Face After Microneedling?
Post-microneedling care isn’t just about avoiding certain products on your face. To maximize the benefits of your microneedling procedure, it also helps to incorporate certain skincare ingredients.
Read on to know what to put on your face after microneedling.
Hyaluronic acid is one of the best ingredients after microneedling. Despite being an acid, this ingredient is gentle, non-irritating, and won’t aggravate your microneedled skin.
Instead, hyaluronic acid instantly nourishes your skin and helps lock in moisture. It also plays a vital role in cell regeneration and wound healing after microneedling.
Studies also found that using hyaluronic acid can lead to long-term skin smoothness and radiance.
Peptides are amino acids that serve as the building blocks of proteins. Adding peptides to your post-microneedling routine can further increase collagen and elastin production.
Copper peptides, in particular, play an essential role in skin regeneration and wound healing.
Studies have found that microneedling can enhance the absorption or delivery of peptides.
This, in turn, can boost microneedling benefits such as tighter and more elastic skin, reduced fine lines and wrinkles, and a more even complexion, among others.
Growth factors are natural proteins that skin cells produce. These help maintain homeostasis and keep cells healthy. For example, cytokines are essential in reducing inflammation and promoting wound healing.
Since microneedling compromises your skin barrier, you’re also more susceptible to environmental stressors during this time.
Free radicals are a significant cause of hyperpigmentation, fine lines, and other signs of skin damage.
While microneedling can address these skin concerns, it cannot protect against free radical damage. This is where antioxidants come in.
Antioxidants neutralize free radicals in the body, preventing them from causing damage in the first place. Thus, incorporating antioxidants into your skincare routine can minimize potential damage after your microneedling procedure.
Best Products to Use After Microneedling
If you want to boost the skin rejuvenating effects of your microneedling procedure, here are some of the best products to use after microneedling.
The Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is mild and won’t irritate sensitive skin. Rest assured that all impurities are washed away from your microneedled skin.
Key benefits: Hydrates, soothes, and replenishes moisture; creamy soap-free formula; pH balanced; hypoallergenic, oil-free, and fragrance-free
- Has glycerin, niacinamide, and panthenol to strengthen and protect your skin barrier
- Micellar technology ensures that dirt, makeup, and impurities are removed from the skin
- Does not contain harsh ingredients such as parabens and sulfates
- Won’t clog pores
This mild cleanser helps prevent irritation and infection after your microneedling procedure.
After microneedling, your skin may feel dry, tight, and itchy. The Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser can bring much-needed relief.
This cleanser also prevents impurities from entering the micro-wounds on your skin. Plus, the soap-free formulation won’t irritate your already sensitive skin.
Boost skin recovery with this calming toner from Paula’s Choice. It targets dryness and will have your skin feeling smooth and hydrated.
Key benefits: Hydrates and soothes; ideal for dryness, redness, and dullness; no alcohol, parabens, and phthalates
- Infused with hyaluronic acid, evening primrose, and borage seed oil for long-lasting hydration
- Skin-restoring lipids relieve dry and flaky skin
- Antioxidants from vitamins B3, C, and E help fight against free radicals
This milky toner makes your skin feel calm and hydrated, setting the stage for optimal recovery after a microneedling procedure.
Paula’s Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner helps bring back moisture to your skin after microneedling.
It’s also packed with calming and skin-restoring ingredients that boost your recovery process.
InstaSkincare’s hyaluronic acid serum is one of the best products to use after microneedling. It draws moisture to the skin to create a healthy environment for collagen growth.
Key benefits: Hydrates, soothes, and repairs skin; anti-aging benefits; vegan, cruelty-free, and fragrance-free; no parabens and sulfates
- Plumps the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Stimulates cell regeneration and helps repair injured skin after microneedling
- Strengthens moisture barrier to protect skin from free radical damage
Applying this hyaluronic acid serum also counteracts the dryness and flakiness that may come after a microneedling procedure.
The InstaSkincare 100% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum is an ideal product for microneedled skin.
Hyaluronic acid’s collagen-boosting properties can help you get the most out of the procedure. The fragrance-free formulation also means it won’t irritate your skin.
This is an ideal serum to use after microneedling. It’s packed with peptides that boost collagen and elastin production and reduce skin inflammation.
Key benefits: Promotes smoother and healthier skin; soothes, heals, and repairs; free from parabens and silicones
- A proprietary blend of peptides including arginine, alanine, aspartic acid, and glycine, all of which help boost collagen
- Enhanced with chamomile extract, aloe vera, jojoba oil, and gotu kola to promote skin healing
- Hyaluronic acid to keep skin moisturized, firm, and healthy-looking
With a simple post-microneedling routine, your skin will enjoy deep nourishment and rejuvenation, thanks to this peptide-rich serum.
The QRx Labs Peptide Collagen Serum can help boost skin radiance and strength after a microneedling procedure.
As peptides tend to decrease as we age, this serum to your skincare routine can offer anti-aging benefits and prolong your microneedling results.
Boost collagen and elastin production with this anti-aging serum. It features medical-grade epidermal growth factor (EGF) to promote skin healing and regeneration.
Key benefits: Hydrates, strengthens, and rejuvenates the skin; tightens and brightens complexion; promotes cell turnover
- Hyaluronic acid to provide abundant hydration and help lock in moisture
- Panthenol with anti-inflammatory properties to calm microneedled skin
- Bakuchiol to promote skin cell turnover without harsh peeling and burning
Enhance the effects of microneedling with this EGF serum. With increased collagen and elastin, you can achieve plumper and younger-looking skin.
Microneedling stimulates growth factors, which help repair damage to your skin. The Easydew DW-EGF Double Synergy Ampoule can further encourage new cell growth and development in the process.
As such, your skin will look brighter and rejuvenated. The serum also has ingredients that calm the skin as it heals from the microneedling procedure.
The CeraVe Moisturizing Cream has a rich and creamy consistency to ensure that your skin is properly hydrated. It helps relieve itchy and flaky skin post-microneedling.
Key benefits: Hydrates and restores compromised moisture barrier; relieves dry skin; non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, and dermatologist-tested
- Three types of ceramides (1, 3, and 6-II) to lock in moisture and protect the skin barrier
- MVE technology to ensure that your skin is hydrated all day long
- Hyaluronic acid to boost hydration and lock in moisture
There’s no doubt that this is one of the best products to put on the skin after microneedling. Your skin won’t feel as tight or itchy with this nourishing cream.
The CeraVe Moisturizing Cream is one of the best products to put on the skin after microneedling. It is specifically formulated for sensitive and irritated skin.
Apart from providing deep hydration, the thick cream can also act as a protective barrier. It locks in moisture and prevents impurities from entering the micro-wounds on your skin.
This sunscreen is specifically formulated for post-procedure skin. It protects you from harmful UV rays and, at the same time, helps calm and hydrate your skin.
Key benefits: UVA and UVB sun protection; calms and protects sensitive skin; sheer and lightweight coverage; oil-free, non-comedogenic, and paraben-free
- 9% zinc oxide and 7.5% octinoxate for effective UVA and UVB protection
- Enriched with hyaluronic acid to boost moisture and prevent fine lines
- Antioxidants from vitamin E to prevent free radical damage
The EltaMD UV Daily Broad-Spectrum SPF 40 absorbs quickly and leaves no residue. Your microneedled skin is adequately protected without feeling heavy or congested.
With the EltaMD UV Daily Broad-Spectrum SPF 40, you can feel confident that your skin is protected from the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays.
Since it is formulated for post-procedure skin, it also contains antioxidants and hyaluronic acid to promote healing.
Worried about a white cast? This sunscreen’s sheer and lightweight consistency means it won’t leave any residue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I Moisturize After Microneedling?
Yes, and it is a must. It is advised that you apply moisturizer on the treated area, particularly from days 2 to 4 after your session.
This is because, during this time, your skin will experience more moisture loss, which is caused by the micro-injury of the treatment. Since there are micro-wounds, water moving from the dermis to the epidermis quickly evaporates.
What Will I Look Like After a Microneedling Treatment?
This question is crucial because you must observe your skin right after the treatment before deciding what to put on it.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Skin will be red and flushed as if the skin is sunburnt after a few hours of the treatment.
- There will be sensitivity in the treated area.
- Skin tightness in the treated area can also occur.
- After 24 hours, the skin will calm down, and the redness will disappear.
- After two days, there will be skin flaking and dryness due to the moisture loss from the skin cell turnover process.
- If the treated area is near the eyes, expect micro-bruising for three to four days
How to Take Care of My Skin After Microneedling Treatment?
It is important to keep the treated area clean. Clean the skin with a mild soap and pat dry gently. At the same time, continue moisturizing the skin, especially during the first week of healing. Use the nourishing products listed above for best results.
Can I Use Makeup After Microneedling?
While you may feel the need to dab some tinted moisturizer on your skin after microneedling, it is best not to.
Immediately after the treatment, applying pigmented materials can increase the irritation of the skin and may even disrupt the skin healing process.
You may wait 24 hours after the treatment to apply a tinted moisturizer.
Can I Use Vitamin C Serum After Microneedling?
Vitamin C serum is known for its healing properties, which is why it is common for people to think that it can be helpful after a microneedling procedure.
However, with fresh micro-wounds, it is ideal to stay away from vitamin c serums and actives like retinol or glycolic acid right after the treatment. Wait two to three days before applying these.
How Soon Can I Wash My Face After Microneedling?
Do wait eight hours after your microneedling session before washing the face. Again, a gentle cleaner is highly recommended.
Can I Do My Skincare After Microneedling?
In the first three days after the procedure, avoid using your skincare products. You will be tempted because the skin feels dry and tight.
Wait for at least three days before applying your usual skincare products, and always observe if your skin is ready to handle the ingredients.
Can I Shower After Microneedling?
Yes, you can. If you want to shower a few hours after the treatment was done, just avoid getting your face wet. Use lukewarm water and avoid staying in tubs during this time due to the higher risk of infection and skin inflammation.
Best Results Come With Knowing What to Use After Microneedling
Microneedling is an investment. Apart from the cost of the procedure, you also have to deal with redness, swelling, and irritation due to the micro-wounds on your skin.
As such, it’s important to avoid harsh products that can lead to unwanted side effects.
You won’t have to abandon your entire skincare routine; you just need to stick to a simplified one.
And the key to this is incorporating ingredients that promote regeneration and healing, such as hyaluronic acid, peptides, and epidermal growth factors.
This helpful guide lets you know the best products to use after microneedling to boost microneedling benefits and get the most out of the treatment!
Looking for Skincare Products to Use After Microneedling?
Check out these articles: