This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Wondering what are the best shampoos for permed hair to keep your wavy locks in perfect shape?
I know this is a difficult question to answer definitively. Because there are so many products available on the market today. For example, there are Korean shampoos, and there are shampoos for Brazilian Blowout hair.
So it can be incredibly hard to find the best one that suits your needs. Not to mention, it can be time-consuming.
And with that, I’m here to help you.
So in this article, I’ve put together a list of the best shampoos for permed hair.
I’ll also add suggestions to help you decide which shampoos for perms to use, depending on your personal needs.
Did You Know There Are Different Types of Shampoos for Permed Hair?
Looking for the best shampoos for permed hair?
Unfortunately, it isn’t as easy as picking them off the shelf and hoping you get the right one.
Different shampoos work for different hair needs. So here are five of the most common types that you can use for your permed locks.
Need deep cleansing for your hair?
Clarifying shampoos can wash away the excess oils and residue that are weighing you down. The downside, however, is that they contain surfactants, which are harsh substances that can dry your hair.
Rich in keratin and amino acids, these shampoos can strengthen your hair and repair damage. I highly recommend this if you dyed or chemically treated your hair prior to perming.
Got waves or curls?
Moisturizing shampoos are a must. These are great at rehabilitating as well as hydrating your hair.
For fine hair, this is great. Volumizing shampoo can give an extra boost as well as define your curls. Say goodbye to limp and lifeless hair.
Well, it’s not exactly just for dry hair use. It’s called dry shampoo because it lets you use it even if you don’t wash your hair after. But be careful; don’t overuse it. Because using it too much can leave a buildup of residue. And residue can cause clogging of hair follicles.
What Are the Best Shampoos for Permed Hair?
So you decided to check out which ones are right for you?
Here are 10 of my top picks for the best shampoos for permed hair.
1. L’Oreal Paris Hair Care EverCurl Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditioner
- Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair: This set is formulated for curly hair that needs lightweight, anti-frizz hydration; Coconut Oil delivers deep moisture for up to...
- Lasting Moisture: Curly hair requires special care, and this formula is especially gentle, delivering hydration that won't weigh curls down and featuring coconut oil for...
- Sulfate Free Hair Care: Experience a rich, creamy formula and a fresh aromatic fragrance that blooms; Gentle on color and 100 percent free of sulfates, paraben, gluten,...
Need a good shampoo to repair your damaged hair?
Then you might want to check out L’Oreal Paris Hair Care EverCurl Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditioner. I could say this is one of the best shampoos for permed hair. Because it doesn’t contain harsh chemicals that can cause damage to your hair and scalp.
Rich in keratin and vegan-friendly ingredients, it gently exfoliates your scalp while cleansing your hair. Plus, it has a creamy texture that will not fade your hair color or cause scalp allergy.
What’s more, the coconut oil component in the shampoo won’t cause frizz. Rather, it delivers deep cleaning while providing long-lasting moisture.
The result: you get shiny and bouncy permed hair.
This amazing product comes with its own conditioner.
2. Pure Nature Lux Spa Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- MOROCCAN ARGAN OIL SHAMPOO: Hydrates and restores moisture levels. Safe and Healthy for Colored & Keratin Treated Hair. Contains a UV and Thermal Protectant with Vitamins...
- BEST LUXURY HAIR CARE WITHOUT SACRIFICING YOUR HEALTH: Contains NO Sulfates, Parabens, Sodium Chloride, Gluten or Phothalates. Researchers have found that shampoos...
- MOISTURIZING VOLUME AND CONTROL: This Deep Hydra Nourishing Shampoo gives hair beautiful structure, leaving it soft and manageable, producing incredible shine and life....
Got damaged hair?
Excessive styling or the use of harsh chemicals on your hair can lead to breakage. Same with overexposure to sunlight.
When it comes to repairing damaged hair, you will love Pure Nature Lux Spa Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo. It’s a hydrating shampoo that can moisturize and nourish your dry and frizzy hair.
Pure Nature Lux Spa Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo is safe to use for colored or treated hair. It contains UV and thermal protectants that shield you from harmful rays.
What’s more, this product doesn’t contain sulfates, parabens, or phthalates, which are irritants.
Pure Nature Lux Spa Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo is perfect for virtually all types of hair, making it soft and manageable.
3. Arvazallia Advanced Hair Repair
- Utilizes Advanced Proprietary Formula that Repairs, Restores, and Strengthens Hair that has been Damaged by Heat Styling, Coloring, or Chemical Treatments
- Hydrates and Moisturizes Dry Hair Locking in Moisture and improving its Texture and Manageability Leaving it Vibrant and Healthy Looking
- Sulfate Free and Paraben Free - Safe for Use with Brazilian Keratin or Color Treatments. Utilizes Highly Effective but Gentle Cleansing Agents that Deeply Cleanses...
Looking for a good permed hair shampoo that won’t cause dryness?
This one contains argan oil and macadamia oil. Perfect when you need to moisturize and hydrate your dry hair without making it oily.
Check out Arvazallia Advanced Hair Repair.
What’s distinctive about this product is its lack of bubbles. I know you’ll probably think it’s not doing its job because it doesn’t give off that many bubbles. But trust me, it gets the job done.
What I love about Arvazallia Advanced Hair Repair is that it doesn’t contain sulfate. And the company that produces it provides good customer service.
4. Garnier Hair Care Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo and Conditioner Set
- This curly hair shampoo and conditioner set contains Curl Nourish Air Dry Butter Cream Leave In Treatment, Curl Nourish Shampoo, and Curl Nourish Conditioner, 3 day...
- Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish System of Shampoo, Conditioner, and Air Dry Butter Cream Leave in Treatment gives your curls 24 hour frizz control Hair is stronger and curls...
- Curl Nourish Shampoo with the ingredient combination of Glycerin and Coconut Oil and has no sulfates, silicones or parabens; Conditioner with the ingredient combination...
Want to keep the frizz at bay?
You can’t go wrong with this product. It’s a haircare set, consisting of a shampoo, conditioner, and buttercream leave-in conditioner.
Garnier Hair Care Fructis Curl Nourish Set contains active fruit protein ingredients. And because it’s free of harsh chemicals, this hair product set packs a healthy punch.
It gives intense moisture without frizz and oil build-up.
And you’ll be happy to know it doesn’t contain sulfates or parabens.
5. Hask Coconut Milk & Organic Honey Curl Care Shampoo
- Kit includes | 1 Shampoo and 1 Conditioner to define curls for longer-lasting, frizz-free curls with a touchable hold
- Define your curls | Give strands a boost of moisture, provide brilliant shine and increased manageability
- Enriched | With hydrating coconut milk and nourishing organic honey, each wash removes buildup without stressing or stripping curls of natural oils
Tired of frizz?
Time to take control of your hair and define your locks with Hask Coconut Milk & Organic Honey Curl Care Shampoo. This shampoo and conditioner set offers long-lasting curls with a touchable hold.
Hask Coconut Milk & Organic Honey Curl Care Shampoo boosts moisture and provides a brilliant shine. It improves manageability to give you the hair you’ve always wanted.
So if you’re struggling with dehydrated hair, this shampoo and conditioner kit is the answer. It will quench your curls’ thirst. Plus, it seals split ends and keeps unruly coils at bay without sacrificing shine and bounce.
6. Vitruvian Beauty Billionx Repair
- REPAIR DAMAGE: Billions of bursting beads release moisturizing elements to revive dry, frizzy hair
- SPLIT END TREATMENT: Ionic beads target only damaged areas to repair without weighing hair down
- ALL NATURAL: Harnesses the natural healing powers of Moroccan argan oil, mango oil and broccoli oil
You heard about the benefits of argan oil, but have you heard about broccoli seed oil?
Well-known for its healing benefits, argan oil repairs damaged hair as well as moisturizes and hydrates it.
And what about broccoli seed oil?
It provides a protective barrier, sealing your hair from harmful elements.
Vitruvian Beauty Billionx Repair has both argan oil and broccoli seed oil.
What’s great about this product is that it doesn’t contain silicones, parabens, or sulfates, which are damaging.
In addition, Vitruvian Beauty Billionx Repair contains mango margarine and shea spread, which shield from harmful UV rays.
7. TRESemmé Flawless Curls Shampoo & Conditioner Set
- SULFATE FREE SHAMPOO WITH COCONUT OIL FOR CURLY HAIR: Our shampoo with coconut oil, created specifically for curly hair, provides maximum hydration by targeting dryness...
- INFUSED WITH VITAMIN B1: This TRESemme shampoo for curly hair is infused with Vitamin B1 to help detangle hair and control frizz.
- HAIR CONDITIONER PROVIDES CURL DEFINITION: Get intentional, manageable and gorgeous curls and waves with TRESemme Flawless Curls Conditioner.
Damp humidity sure is an enemy for permed hair.
If you’re struggling with dryness, you’ll surely love this.
Best for deep hydration, TRESemmé Flawless Curls Shampoo & Conditioner Set contains a high concentration of olive oil and vitamin B3. These ingredients create superb, hydrated curls all day long.
TRESemmé Flawless Curls Shampoo & Conditioner Set provides the essential nutrition to keep your hair healthy and looking great.
8. Playa Natural Everyday Shampoo
Made of real coconuts, Playa Natural Everyday Shampoo provides complete hydration for your hair. It nourishes from root to tip while removing all the dirt and excess oil on your locks. Plus, it adds volume and promotes healthy hair growth.
In addition, Playa Natural Everyday Shampoo is a great detoxifier even for treated hair. This is perfect for your permed hair.
Want to stop your hair and scalp from drying out?
You need a shampoo that nourishes all the way to the tip.
Playa Natural Everyday Shampoo is perfect for your personal needs.
9. Original Mineral Hydrate and Conquer Shampoo
Your permed hair needs extra TLC as it is prone to dryness. That’s because the perm chemicals are likely to cause damage from root to tip. Plus, it may also contribute to scalp irritation.
Here’s a wonderful solution to that.
Introducing Original Mineral Hydrate and Conquer Shampoo. It contains nutrients like vitamins and amino acids, which hydrates your locks while repairing the damage.
So if dry hair becomes too much of a hassle for you, get the special care hydration you need from Original Mineral Hydrate and Conquer Shampoo.
10. White Sands Orchid Bliss Shampoo
- Gentle Sulfate Free Shampoo; This Formula Is Gentle And Effective With No Harsh Sulfates To Clean The Hair
- Color Safe Shampoo; This Formula Is Designed To Seal And Keep Your Color Vibrant Longer; Lock Your Color Inside Of Your Hair And Keep It Healthy And Shiny
- Moisturizes And Balances; Bring Intense Moisture To Your Hair With This Conditioning Cleanser; The Ph Is Balanced To Give Your Hair Strength
Do chemical treatments like perms cause problems for your hair?
Keep your hair healthy and full of life with White Sands Orchid Bliss Shampoo. It’s a wonderful product that can revitalize your locks.
The secret lies in its ingredients.
White Sands Orchid Bliss Shampoo doesn’t contain harsh sulfates. Rather, it features natural and botanical ingredients to bring out the shine and silky smoothness of your hair.
This amazing product also moisturizes and brings pH balance as well, giving your hair strength and vitality. And it’s color-safe too.
Should You Wash Your Permed Hair Daily?
Permed hair is treated hair. So it’s important to give extra TLC to it. This also means you need to consider the type of shampoo you use on your hair and scalp.
Wondering what shampoo to use and how to wash your permed hair?
There are a couple of things to consider.
First, your hair type.
Before you went to the salon for your perm, did you have wavy, curly, fine, or coarse hair?
This is an important question because its answer will greatly play a role in selecting which permed hair shampoo to use.
So let’s look at each hair type to help you decide.
Unlike fine hair, the wavy and curly tend to be frizzy and dry. That’s because natural oils may find it harder to travel down to the tips. They need to go through the ringlets and twists. It becomes even more difficult with a tight perm.
So for wavy and curly hair, a moisturizing shampoo works best. It can help you achieve a shinier and smoother look. The same goes for coarse hair; you need to moisturize it.
As mentioned, fine hair is likely oily. And too much oil tends to create a greasier appearance if you don’t wash your hair for a long period.
So how do you get around this?
Promote a balanced production of oil in your hair by using a volumizing or clarifying shampoo. It helps to define your permed locks.
Did you bleach or dye your hair?
You need sulfate-free purple shampoos with anti-breakage formula. These products are perfect for chemically treated hair. They are gentle in nourishing your hair while repairing the damage. The result: vibrant hair that’s full of life.
Second, your scalp health.
When looking for the best shampoos for permed hair, you also need to consider your scalp.
That’s because shampoos that are too harsh or contain strong chemicals can cause irritation. As a result, there’s dryness, redness, or scaliness on your scalp. And you know what happens next? This will also likely cause hair loss as well.
So if you want to avoid these unwanted effects, it’s best to take care of your scalp, in addition to your hair.
If you notice your scalp feels flaky, tight, or itchy, it means it’s dry. This can be a bad sign. But the good thing is that it’s easy to remedy.
Shampoos with aloe or glycerin provide a quick fix, promoting balanced oil production. These products can restore the moisture that your dry scalp needs.
On the other hand, you can reduce oil production with apple cider vinegar or tea tree oil. These components can also prevent flare-ups, control the build-up of bacteria, and achieve ideal pH levels.
Third, your washing schedule.
How do you maintain permed hair?
Do you wash your hair and scalp every day?
This matters because overwashing can lead to dryness; not washing as you should do often can lead to having an oily scalp.
If you tend to have a dry scalp, washing once a week is enough. For those having an oily scalp, shampooing once a day is good, but don’t overwash.
Lastly, check the ingredients.
One of the common ingredients in shampoos is surfactants. These are the foaming agents that wash away the grease and dirt off your scalp and hair.
There are two variants of surfactants, which are harsher than the usual fare: ammonium lauryl sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate.
So if you’re sensitive to these components, it’s wise to choose a safer alternative. Check your shampoo if they contain cocamide and sulfoacetates instead. These ingredients are skin-friendly but still effective at washing away dirt and grease.
Other preservatives that also pose serious health issues include formaldehyde and parabens. So you might want to choose shampoos that are free of them.
You might want to avoid dimethicone. While this type of silicone can leave a silky smooth feel, it may leave them feeling dull and looking limp.
Prone to dryness?
Avoid sodium chlorine as a thickening agent in shampoos and conditioners. Although it often works as a cleaning agent and preservative, there’s a downside to it. While inherently safe to use, it draws out moisture. So it may leave your hair very dry.
Please know that there may be some side effects from using certain shampoos. So check if you have any of the following: acne, flakiness, itchiness, or even hair loss. And when this happens, take it as a sign to switch to another product.
Looking for the best shampoos for permed hair?
I hope the suggestions contained in this article helped.
You May Also Like: