This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Gua sha has taken the beauty industry by storm and has been a favorite of many thanks to its numerous skin benefits.
Similar to jade rollers, today’s beauty novices, beauty gurus, and even celebrities use gua sha to define the cheekbones and jaw or to depuff the skin, resulting in a slimmer face over time.
But aside from using this fantastic tool on your face, did you know that you can also use gua sha for cellulite all over your body?
Yes, it’s true!
So how can gua sha help cellulite? Keep reading this article and learn how gua sha works its magic on your body.
Without further ado, let’s get started!
What Is Gua Sha?
Gua sha is a traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) practice believed to offer benefits not only for the skin but also for overall health and well-being.
According to Chinese medicine, using gua sha can help decrease the swelling in your body, improve lymphatic drainage, promote wound healing, and stimulate your blood circulation.
This technique is performed using gua sha massage tools made of wood, crystals, stones, coins, and other materials.
As mentioned, gua sha is mainly used on the face for face slimming.
But did you know that you can use this tool all over your body?
Yes! You can do so by gently scraping it on your body to help eliminate multiple concerns.
One of these concerns that gua sha can help you with is reducing the appearance of cellulite lines on the body.
What Is Cellulite?
So does gua sha help with cellulite?
To discuss that further, let’s talk about cellulite first.
Cellulite is a harmless skin condition that causes dimpled, lumpy flesh on the abdomen, buttocks, hips, legs, and thighs, which is most common in women.
With the surge of social media, most people are concerned about having cellulite and how they look online.
Because of this, people are looking for ways to reduce or even remove cellulites to achieve a more flawless and improved skin appearance.
Some medically proven options today include creams and even cellulite laser treatments, which can be costly.
Thankfully, there is a natural way to deal with this cosmetic issue if you want to look amazing and more confident with your skin: body massages using gua sha for cellulites.
Benefits of Gua Sha Body Massage
Did you know that gua sha massage tools can be used on your thighs, legs, and other body parts?
Yes, it’s true! In fact, many believe that it can help with reducing cellulite, especially if used consistently.
Moreover, it promotes elasticity, reduces body fat, and tones your body — giving you an incredible physique.
Body gua sha massage promotes fluid retention, releases body tension, and reduces cellulite.
As you use the gua sha tool, you’ll start releasing muscle tension and breaking up fascia adhesion. As a result, it increases blood flow, which allows more nutrients into your skin and encourages waste to leave the skin.
As your blood flow increases, collagen is delivered to the skin through blood, which helps the skin tighten and firm over time.
Apart from that, gua sha body massage also offers amazing benefits such as the following:
- Gives you smoother, firmer, and softer skin
- Improves blood circulation
- Improves muscle tone by breaking up fascia adhesions that cause restricted blood flow to the muscles
- Less pain and tension
- More energy and flow in the body
- Promotes a healthy vital glow to the skin
- Promotes skin renewal
- Reduces cellulite
- Reduces tension, pain, and cellulite accumulation
- Relaxed sensation in the body
- Supports lymphatic drainage
Does Gua Sha Work for Cellulite?
While gua sha was originally used by the ancients for chronic pain, users claim that it also reduces cellulite appearance by stimulating circulation and blood flow, improving the immune system, reducing skin inflammation, and decreasing body fat.
Even though there’s a lack of scientific evidence to prove that gua sha can get rid of cellulite, it can still be considered effective since it’s similar to a massage.
In fact, many gua sha users now swear by this popular skincare tool!
Nonetheless, reduced cellulite can be achieved with gua sha body massage, especially when combined with exercise, a healthy diet, and other treatments.
If you’re consistent with the gua sha routine, you’ll be seeing great results in no time: minimized cellulite and toned, lifted skin!
How to Use Gua Sha for Cellulite
Here’s a quick step-by-step method that you can follow to get the most out of your gua sha treatment:
PRO TIP: Before you use gua sha for cellulite on your body, invest in a high-quality massage tool. The last thing you want is to get something that will scratch and irritate your skin.
- Apply a thin layer of lotion or oil to the area you want to treat to help the gua sha glide and move over your skin smoothly.
- Begin by gently scraping your skin in circular motions, then work your way up from the bottom part of the area you want to massage.
- To apply your gua sha tool, use forceful pressure on the skin as you apply long, lifted strokes.
- After covering all the areas that you want to target, repeat the process at least six to eight times in the same spot before you move on to another.
- Make sure to go gently and slowly to avoid hurting yourself.
- Once you observe any stubborn areas, you may break up the fat cells with more pressure.
- Lastly, gently massage the treated area using circular motions to promote healing and improve circulation.
The best thing about gua sha is that it can be performed on the stomach, buttocks, chest, legs, and thighs.
It means that you can definitely use this traditional Chinese medicine technique to do a full-body gua sha massage since it can also help relieve muscle soreness.
But experts recommend that when performing gua sha, you should start with minimal pressure and increase it as your skin adjusts.
After using it, you may notice skin redness. But don’t worry because it’s totally normal.
If you want to enjoy its benefits, be consistent with using gua sha, and you’ll see some changes you never knew would happen.
Best Gua Sha Stone Tools for Cellulite
Now that you know the great benefits of using gua sha on your body, which is the best gua sha tool for cellulite?
Read on and learn about the different types of gua sha tools to make the most of your gua sha experience.
Dolphin-Shaped Gua Sha
This gua sha type is the most commonly loved and used widely by skincare lovers and beauty practitioners.
If you want an intense massage on your thighs or glutes, this dolphin-shaped gua sha works wonders!
This gua sha facial tool from Rena Chris is one of the best-selling products in this type of massage tool. This product is 100% made of natural premium jade stone, which makes it more special as this stone provides great health benefits as well.
- Magic Magic of the East: Gua sha tool was designed to improve general well-being of your body, improve the microcirculation of the facial blood vessels, increase the flow...
- Natural Material: Gua sha scraping massage tool made by 100% natural pemium jade stone, which is beneficial minerals to skin beauty and body health. Long lasting, super...
- Whole Body Caring: Jade Gua sha can works great on neck, face, back hand, wrist, shoulders and foot. Offer you the most complete massage therapy.
S-Shaped Gua Sha
This gua sha tool’s shape has been mainly manufactured to fit wider parts of your body, like the neck, back, and shoulders.
S-shaped gua sha, like this Stainless Steel Gua Sha Muscle Scraper Tool, effectively relieves and releases muscle rigidity.
- This Stainless Steel Muscle Scraper Tool can help relieve muscle pain, Soreness and tension, break soft tissue adhesion and fascia limitation, Promote blood...
- This Massage Tool can be used for home massage, Physical therapy, acupuncture and RMT treatment
- This Gua Sha Scraping Massage Tool are made of medical grade stainless steel. The edge is polished with mirror surface. It will not scratch the human body during use
Fin/Wing-Shaped Gua Sha
Though gua sha with fin/wing shapes are typically used to improve facial features, they can also be used in massaging certain body parts like your chest, triceps, and biceps.
If you want to massage these body parts gently, get this facial and body gua sha massager made of natural rose quartz.
- Gua Sha, a natural healthy physical therapy stemming from ancient oriental, without any side effect. This Gua Sha massage tool is durable, can be heated or cooled, as you...
- Guasha Benefits: Gua Sha facial tools can massage and relax muscles, improve blood circulation, accelerate metabolism, and delay aging; Stimulate facial nerve, tighten...
- Natural Materials: Gua Sha facial massage tool is made of natural Rose Quartz, without dyeing to cover up its own color. It has high density, cool and soothing, no static...
Scienlodic Gua Sha
This large gua sha massage tool is perfect for large muscle groups of the whole body to help relieve pressure and relax your muscles.
This ergonomic gua sha has a handheld design, which is ideal for easily massaging and scraping the legs, abdomen, waist, arm, and neck
Compared to facial gua sha, this resin gua sha massage tool for the body is more firm, has a larger area, and won’t break easily.
- High quality material: This gua sha tool is made of resin, with good bearing performance, compression resistance and impact resistance. It can be used for a long time,...
- Better choice: compared with traditional stone gua sha tool, this resin scraping tool is more durable and not easy to break. At the same time, it has a larger volume and...
- Multifunctional massage tool: This massage tool is suitable for lymph massage, promoting the flow of lymph in the whole body, can be used for muscle massage, promoting...
This can help boost circulation and rejuvenate your body in no time.
Best Gua Sha Wood Therapy Massage Tools for Cellulite
When it comes to body cellulite, wood therapy massage tools are also widely available to perform gua sha.
Aside from the top stone gua sha tools mentioned earlier, these wooden tools are ideal for being used on larger parts of the body, like the back, legs, thighs, and arms.
Here are some effective massaging tools used for wood therapy and their functions.
Engraved Roller Stick
If you want to break cellulite fat pockets apart, this roller stick tool is the best.
Gua Sha Board
This board helps move the lymph fluid through its drainage node quickly. You can also use it to smoothen and sculpt your skin with long-term use.
Use this tool on all the areas in your body that require deep activation and stimulation.
This multi-use board has different arc edges, which are used to tone and tighten the skin while contouring the body.
This wooden tool is effective in suctioning your body’s natural curve.
It targets fat deposits and shapes body parts that you want to tone and lift, such as the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, and waist.
Moreover, it effectively moves fats and liquids to your nodes.
This wood therapy tool is used to activate your lymphatic and circulatory systems. It can be utilized on all areas of your body that need a rush of new blood flow and an ease of tension.
Massage Roller With 5 Round Dice
This unique wood therapy tool allows good connective tissue penetration and better fascia release.
Ball Wooden Cellulite Massage Roller
This wooden massage roller naturally addresses dimpled, orange-peel-like skin and helps eliminate stubborn fat.
Also, it promotes blood circulation in the body, smoothes skin, and shapes muscles.
If you’re planning to collect these wooden tools for body gua sha, try this 5-in-1 Wood Therapy Massage Tool Set.
- [5 in 1 Maderoterapia Kit]: We put the most effective wooden therapy massage tools in one kit. You will get 1*Massage Cup, 1*Massage Cup with Roller, 1 x Cubed Massage...
- [Highest Craftsmanship Standards]: When it comes to our lymphatic and cellulite massage tools, we make a point of using nothing but superb quality, precision-cut durable...
- [Optimal Solution]: Engraved Roller Stick help to break apart cellulite fat pockets. Massage Roller with 5 Round dices provide better fascia release and connective tissue...
Each gua sha tool in this set is made of premium-quality wood carefully sanded to create a smooth curved shape and delicate texture to mimic the natural contours of the body for safe and efficient use.
How to Apply Gua Sha for Cellulite on Legs and Thighs
Here’s how to effectively use gua sha on your legs and thighs:
- Start with your calves. Use your chosen gua sha tool to put pressure on different points of the calf by either moving downwards or upwards.
- Move a bit above your ankles and continue applying pressure as you did on your calf.
- Switch to the concave part of the gua sha and still use downward or upward strokes.
- Make sure that you don’t miss any part.
- Move to your thighs and flex them while using the gua sha massager.
- Apply a bit of pressure on the hollows close to your muscles.
- Massage your glutes and thighs in upward strokes.
- Repeat on the other side as well.
To give you an idea of what using gua sha on legs looks like, check out this video tutorial below:
How to Use Gua Sha for Arm Cellulite
Apart from the legs and thighs, the arms can also accumulate cellulite over time. Fortunately, gua sha might be able to help minimize the look of cellulite on your arms.
Here are simple steps for using gua sha on arm cellulite:
- Use the concave side and start with the top of your arms.
- Then, massage your arm with long and downward strokes. Make sure that every part of your arm is equally covered — from your triceps to your biceps.
- Repeat these steps on your other arm.
See this video tutorial on how to use gua sha on your arms:
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should you use gua sha massage tools?
Most people usually want fast results, especially when it comes to their physical appearance.
However, it would be best not to overdo things, regardless of how much you want to remove your cellulite using gua sha.
If you’re new to gua sha, experts suggest you do one gua sha massage weekly.
Your skin tolerance for the treatment and your skin type will determine how often you may use the gua sha tool.
But as you get more accustomed to the gua sha technique, you can adjust your usage frequency to perhaps two to three times weekly.
How do I clean my gua sha?
After using your gua sha tools, it may accumulate impurities on the edges. Hence, cleaning them is a must!
For stone or crystal tools, you can clean them using warm water and a mild dishwashing liquid.
Then get a clean cloth to dry them and safely put them away in a secured container to prevent them from breaking.
If you have stainless steel gua shas, you may use a damp cloth and wipe the edges to clean them.
Should You Use Gua Sha for Cellulite?
The verdict: Yes, you should try using gua sha to minimize cellulite on your body.
Though gua sha may be a technique used in the ancient past, its proven results and practicality made them rise to fame again in the wellness and beauty department.
Plus, you’ll never know if you won’t try it for yourself!
Are you planning to try gua sha? Have you tried it once in your life? What was the experience like for you?
Share your thoughts with us and comment down below!
Wanna read more on crystals and facial contouring?
Check these related articles out: