This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Have you heard about the trend of putting Aquaphor on eyelashes?
Aquaphor is one of those all-purpose products that seemingly provides endless benefits. So it’s no surprise that people have tried applying it to their lashes to see if it can work its magic on those delicate hairs too!
But is it safe and beneficial to put Aquaphor on eyelashes? The quick answer is yes, generally. However, there are a few precautions to consider and steps to follow for guaranteed safety and effectiveness.
We’ll dive deeper into this topic and give you the benefits and disadvantages of this new craze!
Table of Contents
- 1 Benefits of Using Aquaphor on Eyelashes
- 2 Does Aquaphor Help Grow Lashes?
- 3 How To Put Aquaphor on Eyelashes: Easy Steps To Follow
- 4 Is It Good To Use Mascara and Aquaphor on Lashes?
- 5 Are There Safety Issues To Consider When Using Aquaphor on Eyelashes?
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
- 7 Is It Good To Put Aquaphor on Eyelashes? Definitely!
Benefits of Using Aquaphor on Eyelashes
Now that you know that you can indeed put Aquaphor on your eyelashes, you may wonder why you should do so in the first place.
The reason is simple: it can offer your eyelashes plenty of perks, such as the following:
- Keeps your eyelashes hydrated. Aquaphor is designed to hydrate by locking in moisture, and that’s precisely what it can do for your eyelashes.
With ingredients like panthenol and glycerin that boast moisturizing capabilities, it can hydrate dry lashes.
- Makes your eyelashes stronger. Because Aquaphor seals moisture into your lashes, dermatologists say it can significantly reduce their chances of drying out and becoming brittle or prone to breakage as a result.
This means it can help prevent lash breakage.
- Gives you fluffy, shiny, and lush-looking lashes. Thanks to its ability to maintain proper hydration in your lashes, Aquaphor can help you achieve a lovely lash look all day, every day.
Does Aquaphor Help Grow Lashes?
No, it won’t.
Sadly, there’s no proof to confirm that applying this healing ointment has any direct impact on lash growth.
That said, it can prevent breakage by keeping your lashes hydrated. So it may help your lashes grow to their fullest and longest without breaking off.
How To Put Aquaphor on Eyelashes: Easy Steps To Follow
If you want to use Aquaphor to soften your lashes and keep them properly moisturized, follow these steps:
- Apply a thin layer of Aquaphor to your finger or a Q-tip onto your lashes and over your eyelids. Since you’re using this product near your eyes, it’s vital to be careful with your application.
- Give the ointment time to be absorbed properly before adding more if needed.
- Do this every night to get healthier lashes.
Keep some water or a wet cloth by your side. This way, you can easily rinse or wipe out any product that accidentally gets into your eyes.
For an Instant Curl and Volume Boost
Now if you want to make your eyelashes look lush and defined instantly, you can use an eyelash curler and Aquaphor to get a gorgeous, long-lasting curl.
TikToker Lauren Wilensky came up with this technique, and it involves these steps:
- Comb through and separate your lashes using a clean spoolie.
- Apply a small amount of Aquaphor to your fingertips and rub them against each other.
- Lightly apply the ointment to your lashes, focusing more on the tips.
- Use your eyelash curler. Pulse around five to 10 times for dramatic results.
- Brush your lashes with your spoolie again, then curl them using your lash curler one last time.
Wilensky also recommends you look down while using your lash curler to make sure you get to every lash.
Is It Good To Use Mascara and Aquaphor on Lashes?
Some people have found this makeup hack to be a godsend, claiming that Aquaphor enhances the ability of their mascara to make their lashes look amazing.
In fact, using Aquaphor on lashes gained momentum when beauty influencer and TikToker Marnee Dowell created a viral video tutorial for her Aquaphor-and-mascara technique.
In it, Dowell mixes a dab of mascara and a dab of Aquaphor on her fingertips. She then effortlessly applies the blend to her lashes, instantly giving them a fuller appearance.
However, experts and beauty enthusiasts generally advise against mixing mascara and Aquaphor for the following reasons:
- Unwanted reactions: Combining the two products — which have very different formulas — can also be risky and even potentially irritating, especially for those with sensitive eyes.
- Messy eye makeup: Aquaphor can prevent mascara from performing the way it’s supposed to.
In fact, while many were able to get great results after using Aquaphor and mascara together, some noted that their mascara became flaky throughout the day or occasionally left dark smudges if they touched their eyes.
Are There Safety Issues To Consider When Using Aquaphor on Eyelashes?
Of course, you might be wondering about safety concerns, especially if you’re not used to applying Aquaphor to your eye area so close to your eyes!
But don’t worry. Aquaphor is generally safe to use on your lashes and eyelids.
Nonetheless, it’s vital to follow these precautions for guaranteed safety:
- Check Aquaphor’s ingredients to see if you are allergic to any of them. This is especially important if you are using the ointment for the first time. Better yet, do a patch test on your inner arm first before applying Aquaphor near your eye area.
- Stop using Aquaphor right away if you experience any signs of irritation, such as rashes, redness, hives, skin peeling, or a stinging or burning sensation.
- Do not apply Aquaphor to your lashes or lids while wearing contact lenses.
You might end up with some of the product on the lens, giving you a distorted view as a result. You will need to take out your contacts first before putting on Aquaphor.
- Do not use Aquaphor if you’re wearing lash extensions. The product will dissolve the adhesive binding the extensions to your natural lashes.
- Consult a dermatologist or healthcare provider if you have concerns about using Aquaphor, especially if you have a history of skin allergies or sensitivities.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Okay To Use Aquaphor Every Day?
It’s safe to use Aquaphor nightly, especially if you have very dry and brittle lashes.
Can You Use Vaseline on Your Lashes as a Substitute for Aquaphor?
Some say Vaseline can be a good alternative to Aquaphor for hydrating and curling your lashes.
It can come in handy when you don’t have Aquaphor at home or if you’re allergic to lanolin, an ingredient present in Aquaphor but not in Vaseline.
But ophthalmologists warn against applying too much Vaseline to your lashes, which can clog the sebaceous glands at the base of the small hairs.
Additionally, it’s also important to wash it off thoroughly with water and a cleanser to prevent buildup.
Can I Put Aquaphor on Eyelashes Instead of Mascara?
Generally speaking, Aquaphor shouldn’t be treated as a substitute for mascara, considering the two have entirely different purposes.
Using Aquaphor alone will not give you the benefits of mascara; you won’t get lash separation or any added length or volume.
Instead, you can follow the technique of using Aquaphor with a lash curler above to achieve a similar effect on the lashes as mascara, namely creating the appearance of lush eyelashes and opening up the eyes.
You can also use Aquaphor in the evening and mascara in the morning to ensure you get to enjoy the benefits of both.
What Are Some Other Ways To Use Aquaphor?
Aside from hydrating and helping define your lashes, here are some other ways to use Aquaphor around your eyes:
- Use it on its own or mix it with your eye cream or eye serum to hydrate the skin around your eyes and reduce any puffiness, dark circles, fine lines, or wrinkles.
- Apply it to your eyebrows to condition them, making them look shinier and healthier while also taming stray brow hairs.
- Use it to remove stubborn eye makeup at the end of the day.
Is It Good To Put Aquaphor on Eyelashes? Definitely!
Aquaphor is one of the most versatile products in any household. It can be useful to include in your skincare kit — and even your lash care arsenal!
Using Aquaphor on your eyelashes the right way will allow you to reap its many hydrating benefits and enjoy fuller and healthier-looking lashes!
Want To Discover More Beauty Trends You’ll Love?
Check out these articles: