This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Straw curls are a popular style for people who want to wear their hair in a natural way.
Curling your hair with a curling iron can be time-consuming and often leaves your locks feeling dried out.
One way to avoid this is to use straws to curl your hair instead!
Straws help create the same kind of waves that you would get from using a curling iron.
One thing we love about curls with straws is that it’s easy to do and can be done at home in comfy pajamas!
They are created by curling the hair around a straw and then pulling it through the hair.
Why Not Curl Your Hair With Straws?!
We all know that straws can be used for drinking, but did you know that they can also be used to curl your hair?
Sounds kinda weird at first … but it makes sense!
For years, people have used straighteners and other heating tools to curl their hair, but now there’s a new way to do it without all the heat!
Who says miracles don’t exist?!
You can use straws to curl your hair quickly and easily, and it’s even more affordable than using other methods.
So if you’re looking for an easy way to get curls without all the work, try using straws!
Pro Tip: Be sure to use a heat protectant if you have curly hair because straws can cause damage if they are not handled properly. #igotyourback
How To Straw Curl Your Hair
There are many different ways to curl your hair, including a curling iron or hot rollers, but one of the most popular is called straw curling.
To do this technique, you will need some styling products and straws:
Straighten your hair using a heat protector like ghd
- 4 fl oz
- ghd Heat Protectant Spray 120ml/4.1oz
- Hair Type: All Hair Types
- Item Condition: 100% authentic, new and unused. ghd Heat Protectant Spray 120ml/4.1oz.
Blow-dry your hair using a round brush
- Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express
- Ion aluminum
- Round brush
- For all hair types
- It gently grip every strand to leave your style with a sleek, frizz-free finish.
- The aluminum barrel heats up during blow-drying to help shape your style
- Styling savior infuses water molecules into your hair shaft for conditioned locks
Section off your hair into small sections
Twist each section around a straw until it forms a curl.
Secure with a hair tie and let those curls air dry. Easy-peasy!
S & L Straw Company
- Bulk pack – 250 count
- Assorted neon colors
- NEON COLORED FUN DRINKING STRAWS - 250-COUNT bulk drinking straws comes with a wide range of kid-friendly color choices, including pink, yellow, green and orange! These 4 vibrant colors (pink, yellow, green, and orange) will turn every drink to a treat!
- BULK PACK OF 250 PLASTIC STRAWS - These popular plastic straws come in one pack of 250 pieces, enough for all your home dining and entertaining needs. Your guests can sip their favorite cocktails, sodas, teas and water with disposable straws that are both unique and beautiful.
- WELL MADE STRAWS - At 7.75 inches long with a diameter of .23 inches, these fun and bright straws are the perfect length for many drinking cups. Get the parti-colored straws today for a little extra enjoyment with every beverage.
Add hair spray to achieve more volume and hold
L’Oreal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Lock It Bold Control Hairspray
- 8.25 oz
- Quick dry
- Resistant to humidity
- Heat protection
- Silicon free
- HUMIDITY-RESISTANT HAIRSPRAY: Lock It Bold Control Anti-Humidity Hairspray goes on evenly and dries quickly to lock in your hairstyle and lock out frizziness all day long. Just spray to set and go, or layer for stronger hold.
- FINE MIST, STRONG HOLD: Bold Control hair spray goes on in a light fine mist for even coverage and holds your hair style in place for up to 48 hours. Spray at the root to add volumizing, or all over to control frizz.
- HOW WILL YOU STYLE IT? Whether your style is curly, wavy or straight, this strong hold hairspray holds your look in place for hours, whether you need to slick fly-aways, hold an updo, or preserve your curls.
Note: Be sure to start from the inside of the hair and work your way out!
Straw Curls On Natural Hair
Natural hair is amazing, and there are so many different styles to choose from.
Straw hair curls are one of the most popular styles because they are easy to do, and you can change your look every day.
Straw curls can be done on all types of hair, whether it’s:
Straw curls are an amazing way to change up your hairstyle without having to go through the hassle of dying or cutting your hair.
They are also a great option for people with straight hair because they can look natural and elegant.
Straw curls can be also be achieved by using a curling iron or wand and using small sections of hair at a time but those results are not very consistent.
A better option may be to try straw curls.
If you have curly hair, there’s a good chance that you’ve tried to style it in a million different ways.
But sometimes, all you need is a little help from nature.
One of the most popular methods of styling curly hair is to use a straw to create curls.
All you need is some water and some straws, and you can have beautiful, bouncy curls in no time.
If you are looking to add some extra texture and interest to your curls, straw curls are a great option!
If you’re looking for a trendy way to add some texture and waves to your otherwise straight hair, try incorporating straw curls into your style.
This method is simple to do and requires only a few supplies, including straws and some hair products.
By wrapping the straw around one section of your hair, you can create waves that will take your style up a notch.
Incorporating a little bit of texture into your hairstyle, you can give your hair a more natural look that will be harder to achieve with straight hair.
Kinky hair can be difficult to curl, but with a little patience and effort, straw curls can be achieved.
To start, section your hair into small sections and twist each one individually. Be sure not to over-twist or you will end up with a frizzy look.
Next, take a small section of hair at the bottom of your straw curl and use it as a guide to create the curl. Viola!
Straw Curls On Black Hair
Oftentimes, black women are told that their hair cannot be curly because of its lack of moisture.
Curly hair requires more moisture than straight hair, so it is often difficult for black women to achieve curls and waves with their naturally straight hair.
However, there are ways to curl your hair without using water or products that contain chemicals.
One such method is to curl with straws! That is today’s theme after all!
If you have black hair and want to add some life to your curls, why not try straw curls?!
This style is simple to do and has a natural look that can be dressed up or down making it the perfect touch!
Straw Curls On Relaxed Hair
Straw curls can be a beautiful and natural way to style relaxed hair.
Relaxed hair is often frizzy, unmanageable, and dry. Straw curls help to tame the hair and give it a natural look.
Who doesn’t like a more natural look?
Also, using moisturizing and heat protectant products, as mentioned in this post, may be helpful in getting the desired look.
They are also easy to do and can be styled in many different ways making them an appealing option.
How Long Do Straw Curls Last?
Sadly straw curls are not the most durable of curls out there.
Straw curls can last anywhere from a day or two to up to two or three days.
The shorter the hair is, the shorter the curl will be. While straw curls for long hair will last a bit longer.
This is because the hair has more give and will be able to stretch out a bit.
This can result in a more natural look with your hair and you will have curls longer than those with short hair.
What Are The Pros and Cons Of Straw Set Hair
Wouldn’t be great to say this is it! No-fuss – no muss, but we know that’s only in a perfect world.
There are pros and cons to everything under the sun – curls included!
Some people love the look of straw curls, while others find them difficult to manage.
Here is a breakdown of the pros and cons of this style to help you make decide if they are right for you:
Easy to maintain
Who doesn’t like a look with easy maintenance?! Seriously though
No expensive tools or products are essential. Who doesn’t love an inexpensive solution that looks so good!
Straw curls tend to be more uniform and defined than other curls, plus they have oodles of bounce!
Styled in many different ways
The sky is the limit for styling straw curls including twists, loose beach waves, ringlets, and more!
Suitable for both formal and casual events
Play the look up or down – you will stand out with beautiful, voluminous #curlsfordays
Great choice for those who have trouble with other curls
You may have wondered, “Is there such thing as a perfect curl?!”
Legit question! It’s hard to say, but hair type has a lot to do with it!
Difficult to style if your hair is thick/unmanageable
If your hair is super thick and unmanageable, the added bounce with straw curls could potentially throw you for a loop. #punintended.
But, if you’ve got a thinner hair texture, the end results could be worth it.
Can be difficult to curl
Fine-haired ladies that’s you!
Fine hair is a challenge like no other. Imagine working with what feels like feathers!
Seriously, you may consider using the straws to drink with!
Take longer than other styles
There are not a lot of “quick fixes” in the world and straw curls are certainly not one of them!
Be prepared to spend some time setting your hair – great for a girl’s night in!
Hair length shrinkage
The full length of your hair will not be discernable.
If you feel your hair isn’t long enough, this look will accentuate that and it may not be for you.
You can always give it a try, on a strand or two, to test how it looks before committing to straw curling your whole head with straws.
You’ll soon know if it’s the look for you.
Not water friendly
As with most curls, straw curls are not water friendly.
If you want straw curls to last you will need to protect curls from water, especially when in the shower.
Try using a waterproof shower cap like this cute one from Kitsch to preserve the look. Humidity be gone!
Kitsch Luxury Shower Cap
- Long hair friendly
- Flexible fit
- PRETTY AND FUNCTIONAL. Look chic while you shower in this revolutionary shower hair cap for women. Kitsch's Luxury Shower Cap for Women is a stylish and functional way to protect your hair from getting wet or damaged when showering.
- FLEXIBLE FIT. Now with improved sizing and furnished with an elastic band, Kitsch's Shower Caps are designed to stretch and accommodate most head sizes for extra comfort and security. Its superior waterproof fabric keeps our shower hair caps in place while you are getting ready.
- WATERPROOF AND REUSABLE SHOWER CAPS. Our shower caps for women are reusable, waterproof and comfortable. Avoid washing and styling your hair every day for healthier hair. Not only that, they're also stylish enough to wear when you get out of the shower too!
What To Do If Your Straw Curls Are Too Tight
Okay, so you followed all the steps and were super excited for gorgeous curls for days, but what if your straw curls are too tight?
While it can be hard to admit sometimes there can be too much of a good thing – don’t say I didn’t warn you!
If so, they may be restricting your scalp’s blood flow and causing undesirable hair growth. #bigthumbsdown
But breathe easy there are things you can do to avoid this!
Here are 5 simple ways to loosen up your beautiful straw curls:
- Apply a conditioning treatment before styling for healthy, hydrated hair
- Choose a looser hairstyle that will allow your curls to fall more freely
- Use a wide-tooth comb to separate the curl/detangle before styling
- Use a water-based hair gel or mousse to touch up the front hair
Below are products recommended to help you loosen up those curls:
Onedor Sandalwood Hair Comb
- 100% green sandalwood
- Sandalwood- scented
- Made of High Quality 100% Natural Green Sandalwood. (Each Hair Comb will be Slightly Different)
- Crafted with refined traditional handicrafts, well polished, smooth and seamless.
- Helps to relieve tension and stimulate scalp; Prevent tangled hair and split ends;
FRAGFRE Styling Gel
- 8 oz
- Medium hold
- Unscented Non flaky hair gel will style your natural or treated hair for any hairstyles, color safe
- Anti Humidity Hair Gel safe and can be used daily by men, women and Children
- Alcohol Free Hair Styling Gel - Nourishes your hair and keeps it feeling soft all day
SheaMoisture Curl Mousse
- 7.5 oz
- Controls frizz
- Coconut and hibiscus scented
- The SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse, blended with Fair Trade Shea Butter, to make your curly hair beautiful and bouncy. Packaging may Vary
- Our volumizing hair mousse enhances natural curl memory and wave pattern, and leaves no residue, creating shiny curls with high impact volume and a soft finish
- Coconut and Hibiscus curl mousse, blended with coconut and neem oil, helps to control frizz while adding a brilliant shine to your curly hair
Straw Curls Before And After
Straw curls are popular in the summertime, but what about during the colder months?
Absolutely! Straw curls are a perfect look any time of year!
If you want to keep your curls warm and frizz-free, try out this curly style hack!
If you’re looking to get the look of a curly girl without damaging your locks, try straw curls!
These styles are easy to do at home, and they’ll give you long, curly strands that will make your hair look full and healthy.
Straw Set Hairstyles to Impress
If you are looking for an easy way to keep your hair looking good, straw curls are the way to go!
In this tutorial, you will see how to gently pull apart individual heatless curls using straws on short, medium, and long hair, to make it look both fluffy and bouncy!
In conclusion, if you love the look of long, curly hair, but dread the task of styling it yourself, you’ll love these straws for curling hair!
Straw curls are a great way to keep your hair looking styled and healthy.
They are easy to do and can be done in a matter of minutes, plus without needing to use heat – your hair will thank you!
You May Also Like: